Microsoft Vista

Reidy1987

Has anyone else got this? I bought a new laptop a couple of months ago and it had Vista pre-loaded. At first I thought it was just that it was new and different and I'd get used to it. But no, it IS a steaming heap of dog poo. Can I still buy XP so I can "downgrade"???

Has anyone else got this? I bought a new laptop a couple of months ago and it had Vista pre-loaded. At first I thought it was just that it was new and different and I'd get used to it. But no, it IS a steaming heap of dog poo. Can I still buy XP so I can "downgrade"???

Ive got it on my computer - its ok once you get used to it, but its still being worked on so there are "flaws"...theres a virus on my computer that its not letting me delete :angry: But on a better point, the split tabs on internet explorer means theres an easy way to cheat on 'Vote For Your Team' :rolleyes:

But anyways, I think you still can buy XP in PC World and Comet etc. Good luck :)

If you aren't too choosy there are plenty of copies of XP flying about :rolleyes:

Tabbed browsing has been available on Mozilla and other browsers for quite some time.

I know it depends on what you want to use it for but can I suggest all the disgruntled Vista users look at installing some form of linux. I would recommend www.kubuntu.org but there are lots and lots of other distributions. Install is a painless experience and you'll find your PC/Laptop runs far quicker as the OS runs on less memory, leaving more available for your applications.

There are free versions of all the standard applications that you would normally run on Windows - openoffice.org instead of MS Office, Amarok instead of your mp3 player, Firefox instead of IE, KMail instead of your email client, etc, etc. Viruses are (almost) unheard of in linux so no need for anti virus software (although it is available). The one thing linux is not good for is gaming and if that's your thing then you should leave well alone.

There are literally thousands of free applications available for linux - catering for scientists, programmers, ham radio users(!), music producers, maths geeks, etc.

If you're looking for a stable, fast, freely updateable operating system that lets you browse, read mail and news, listen to music, produce documents, spreadsheets, presentations, create databases (CD collection, book collection, recipes, etc), then give linux a go. I did 8 years ago and haven't looked back since.

Give it a go. You can even install it alongside a Windows installation on the same PC and if you don't like it you can revert back to Windows.

Tabbed browsing has been available on Mozilla and other browsers for quite some time.

I know it depends on what you want to use it for but can I suggest all the disgruntled Vista users look at installing some form of linux. I would recommend www.kubuntu.org but there are lots and lots of other distributions. Install is a painless experience and you'll find your PC/Laptop runs far quicker as the OS runs on less memory, leaving more available for your applications.

There are free versions of all the standard applications that you would normally run on Windows - openoffice.org instead of MS Office, Amarok instead of your mp3 player, Firefox instead of IE, KMail instead of your email client, etc, etc. Viruses are (almost) unheard of in linux so no need for anti virus software (although it is available). The one thing linux is not good for is gaming and if that's your thing then you should leave well alone.

There are literally thousands of free applications available for linux - catering for scientists, programmers, ham radio users(!), music producers, maths geeks, etc.

If you're looking for a stable, fast, freely updateable operating system that lets you browse, read mail and news, listen to music, produce documents, spreadsheets, presentations, create databases (CD collection, book collection, recipes, etc), then give linux a go. I did 8 years ago and haven't looked back since.

Give it a go. You can even install it alongside a Windows installation on the same PC and if you don't like it you can revert back to Windows.

Windows Vista doesn't support my mp3 players or my phone. Would linux workfor them?

Windows Vista doesn't support my mp3 players or my phone. Would linux workfor them?

Well I have a Sony Ericsson W800i and linux treats the Memory Card as an external hard drive so I can transfer mp3s to and from it. I don't have an mp3 player but if its a standard usb connection I'd imagine the same principle applies.

Well I have a Sony Ericsson W800i and linux treats the Memory Card as an external hard drive so I can transfer mp3s to and from it. I don't have an mp3 player but if its a standard usb connection I'd imagine the same principle applies.

Cheers

You generally have to be a geek to even consider it though :lol:

You can get tabbed browsing in IE7 anaw btw but firefox is a better browser than most others, personally I wouldn't touch any OS by Microshaft (see what I did there) until it's been service packed a couple of times (or has been out for a while).

Microsoft have a nasty history of releasing software and allowing the general public to test it, finding it's flaws and in some cases fixing them for them.

Reidy, some dishonest people out there ofeten use pirated versions of OS's like XP, you sometimes have to tweak them to avoid the whole Genuine Product Activation nonsense but a little bit of googling gets people around it before to long.

You generally have to be a geek to even consider it though :lol:

You can get tabbed browsing in IE7 anaw btw but firefox is a better browser than most others, personally I wouldn't touch any OS by Microshaft (see what I did there) until it's been service packed a couple of times (or has been out for a while).

Microsoft have a nasty history of releasing software and allowing the general public to test it, finding it's flaws and in some cases fixing them for them.

Reidy, some dishonest people out there ofeten use pirated versions of OS's like XP, you sometimes have to tweak them to avoid the whole Genuine Product Activation nonsense but a little bit of googling gets people around it before to long.

You lost me at you generally B)