Top 5 "best Of Albums"

Liverpool Bud

i must be getting older - or im trying to relive my youth - or im still in the process of updating my vinyl to cd....either way im sad to say my last 5 album purchases have all been best of's sadly the last 5 albums ive bought are

1. Best of the Cure

2. Best of Blondie

3. Best of The Alarm

4.Best of Hothouse flowers

5. Best of Deacon Blue

now these albums as a rule do not constitute my top 5 best of.....i was just exagerating my point .....i think you get the idea.

My actual top 5 Best of Albums are in descending order.

1, Best of Big Country ...... timeless classics which never fail to stir the emotions of sweat ridden barra's nights

2, Best of REM ...... every song beautifully crafted and delivered by Michael stipe with raw emotion

3, Best of the Manic Street Preachers ...... The album trancends every thing great about their early releases right through to the stadium classics

4, Best of Runrig ....if you have ever seen Runrig live then you will understand ythe passion with which the songs are written and played - this best of encapulates all this

5, Push Barmen to open old wounds - technically not a best of per se ... however a complete collection of every ealry Belle and Sebastian release and still wearing well and it shows a band who have discovered their own unique sound.

1. The OX4 box set by Ride is without a doubt the finest "Best of" collection in existence.

1 Best of disc, 1 of Unreleased Recordings and 1 of the entire Reading Festival set from 1992.

Sheer brilliance.

2. Terminally Groovy - Neds Atomic Dustbin

3. March to Fuzz - Mudhoney

4. Melting Pot - The Charlatans

5. Death to the Pixies - The Pixies

i must be getting older - or im trying to relive my youth - or im still in the process of updating my vinyl to cd....either way im sad to say my last 5 album purchases have all been best of's sadly the last 5 albums ive bought are

1. Best of the Cure

2. Best of Blondie

3. Best of The Alarm

5. Best of Deacon Blue

now these albums as a rule do not constitute my top 5 best of.....i was just exagerating my point .....i think you get the idea.

My actual top 5 Best of Albums are in descending order.

1, Best of Big Country ...... timeless classics which never fail to stir the emotions of sweat ridden barra's nights

2, Best of REM ...... every song beautifully crafted and delivered by Michael stipe with raw emotion

3, Best of the Manic Street Preachers ...... The album trancends every thing great about their early releases right through to the stadium classics

4, Best of Runrig ....if you have ever seen Runrig live then you will understand ythe passion with which the songs are written and played - this best of encapulates all this

5, Push Barmen to open old wounds - technically not a best of per se ... however a complete collection of every ealry Belle and Sebastian release and still wearing well and it shows a band who have discovered their own unique sound.

My fav best of album is probably The Best of James.

Owners of a 'Best of the Waltons' DVD, no doubt............................

NOT MY TOP5 BUT 5 MOST RECENTLY LISTENED TO BEST OFS

1.Simple Minds......Early Gold

2.The Pogues.....Very Best of the Pogues

3.Talking Heads.......Once in a Lifetime.....The Best of Talking Heads

4.Supergrass......Supergrass is 10

5. U2...........The Best of U2...1990-2000

1. Best of the Cure

2. Best of Blondie

3. Best of The Alarm

5. Best of Deacon Blue

hmm.. here's my tuppence worth..

1. Hanoi Rocks 'The Albums '81 - '84'

2. Ramones 'Anthology'

3. All About Eve 'Keepsakes' (old hippy at heart, can't help it...)

4. Fun Lovin' Criminals 'Bag Of Hits'

5. Queen 'greatest hits' vol.1 (cos vol 2 & 3 were utter pish....)

I dont buy best of ... cd's. Commercially driven rip off. Best to listen to the original music in the original context than some cobbled together effort by some poxy record company because the fading light that was the band is about to go out.

Don't buy them, buy the original recordings.

I dont buy best of ... cd's. Commercially driven rip off. Best to listen to the original music in the original context than some cobbled together effort by some poxy record company because the fading light that was the band is about to go out.

Don't buy them, buy the original recordings.

a reasonable point - but sometimes - only a best of will do for me!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Always feel the sound is a let down on the majority of "Best Off's" Normally there are just a rush production for record companies profits.

I have bought completions to get certain tracks where the original album is deleted. Sherbet Howzat for one and RR-Express by Rose Royce with it's fantastic lead guitar and rock riffs which is a real ear opener of what was a soul band.