Top 5 International Memories

ST SID

1. Ricardo saving from vassell and then ripping the ball from his team-mate and converting the penalty to pap out the €nglish! I near ruptured I laughed so hard.

2. 1990 World Cup. Was staying at the Altens truck stop whilst doing rig training. Watched the game in a packed out pub. It wasn't until pierce missed the first penalty that I realised I was the only Scot in the place. When waddell missed the second I was beyond giving a f"k and was on the table going berzeck - they took it well......best bit was g@zza greetin'g when he got booked and linekar realising that they were f"k'd.

3. 82 World Cup Semi-Final - it was a poor World Cup and failed to meet the drama of '78 until the semi-final, again a keeper stole the show despite talent such as Tigana who was the best French player on the park - f"k yer platini. Harald was a legend....his commitment was incredible, taking out Battiston with the most outrageous challenge in football up until Cantona took out a supporter. His team mate Stielike, another magnificent player had his penalty saved. Schumacher struck straight back and then saved to put them into the final. And then went on to lose to the Italians. :D

4. The '78 World Cup. A disappointing start with Scotland being so pish after waving the team off at Paisley Airport, but the football was so unbelievabley good it was soon forgotten other than by the glory-hunting TCFs that still haunt Scotland today. The players were phenomenal that WC...Kempes, the Van der Kerkhofs, Bettega, Passarella, Ardilles, Rensenbrink, Cubillas, Luque, Rep, Rossi, Rummenige, Krol, Neeskens, Haan, Krankl, Prohaska, Bonhof, Tardelli, Gentile, Zoff, Gemmill, Boniek, Zico, Edinho, Rivelino (every Scot's child's war cry as they cracked a long shot!) and the mental keepers!!!

5. Tempted to go for the '77 2-1 win at wembley, but its a bit of a cliché. I am going to go for the only Scotland goal I saw live, as I went to games when we were either drawing 0-0 or getting beat without response back in the 80's. As goals go it was one of the best I have seen. It was nicholas against the swiss - must have been around '82 or '83. Seem to remember it being pishing with rain as it always seemed to be at hampden. Miserable night and we were pish, lumping long balls - our staple at the time. A big punt up the park that looked destined to be as impotent as the rest was heading over the top of nicholas and looked impossible to control with a defender looking favourite to floor him even if he did get control. In what would be a trick worthy of the circus nicholas stuck out a leg and somehow managed to dampen the impact of the high ball whilst manouvering it onto his other side taking out the defender, and all in one movement managed to crack off a volley into the back of the net. It was still a wet miserable f'k'r of a night. One last 0-0 draw against east european opposition and a brick through the double decker bus window on the way back along Paisley Road West and that was time to call it a day on Internationals, which should always be played in the summer!!!

Edited by ST SID

Snatching tickets from an English Ticket Tout at Hampden v England 1980, got 2 centre stand tickets................

My mate used one for the Dundee Utd end and I gave the other to a passing ticketless Pict as I also managed to end up with Arthur Daley's wallet as well ......................

1) Dalglish v. Wales - Anfield - Archie MacPherson's commentary being described in his own words as "premature ejaculation"

2) Dalglish v. Spain - Hampden 85

3) Robertson pen @ Wembley 81

4) Dalglish v. Belgium (a) 83 (1-2 with A****bald, then outside of the right boot lob over the keeper - GENIUS)

5) Narey v. Brazil (should still be allowed to "poke his toe" right into Hill's goolies)

Anyone who slags off Dalglish should remember that he brought Barnes (& Scheidt) to Parkhead. Good on ye !

And won the league with Blackburn :double:booty

Cannot find 6-fingered emoticons to respond to that !

Locals round here didn't object, as BRFC denied Man Utd (the hate object for Bolton Wanderers - a sort of Morton/Rangers = Blackburn/Man U sort of thing goes on in these parts).

international memories... being at hampden as the scotland team paraded round in an open top bus BEFORE they left for argentina :blink:

being at hampden a few months later for a friendly against Argentina.. first cap for some wee guy called Maradonna....

watching Seaman make an arse of that free kick against Brazil in 2002

watching in disbelief as Tom Boyd shoulders the ball into his own net v Brazil in 1998..

and that pink change strip...... Colin and Justin by any chance??

Edited by groo-ver

best bit was g@zza greetin'g when he got booked

We met him in a pub in the Toon the next month, while out on Geordie Saint's stag night.

I went up to him & said 'Hey Paul, you didnae half make an arse o yersel in the World Cup' B)

He took it well.....sitting nutting a bottle of Grolsch.

He was arrested later that night. :lol:

We met him in a pub in the Toon the next month, while out on Geordie Saint's stag night.

I went up to him & said 'Hey Paul, you didnae half make an arse o yersel in the World Cup' B)

He took it well.....sitting nutting a bottle of Grolsch.

He was arrested later that night. :lol:

:lol::lol: Very believable TS !! Apart from PGs stay in Renfrewshire, where I am sure many Buds like myself had "encounters" with PG, both positive & negative, I used to go to Gateshead regularly (Dunston - you'll know where I mean TS). The local Labour Club had a fund raising do one night, and Gazza brought along.........his shirt from THAT semi-final. It was bought by some p*ss artist for £35 ! Fortunately, Gascoigne had also brought a player from Boro (who he was with at the time), and this guy had the sense to outbid the other 20 poeple present (£40) and give it back to the paralytic Gascoigne. Oh dear.

:lol::lol: Very believable TS !! Apart from PGs stay in Renfrewshire, where I am sure many Buds like myself had "encounters" with PG, both positive & negative, I used to go to Gateshead regularly (Dunston - you'll know where I mean TS). The local Labour Club had a fund raising do one night, and Gazza brought along.........his shirt from THAT semi-final. It was bought by some p*ss artist for £35 ! Fortunately, Gascoigne had also brought a player from Boro (who he was with at the time), and this guy had the sense to outbid the other 20 poeple present (£40) and give it back to the paralytic Gascoigne. Oh dear.

I live quite near Dunston, The Fed drew 2-2 today. :wink:

Was that the Excelsior Club (next to the Tudor Rose) or the one under 'the Rocket' - I'd climb a mountain for a bag of Tudor advert tower block :lol: ?

I live quite near Dunston, The Fed drew 2-2 today. :wink:

Was that the Excelsior Club (next to the Tudor Rose) or the one under 'the Rocket' - I'd climb a mountain for a bag of Tudor advert tower block :lol: ?

The former :lol: . I used to visit a company at The Fed Brewery site, (Ward's), and one of the lads took me to the charity auction (it was about 10 years ago). I may have exaggerated, but there was seriously no more than 40 people there on a p*shing wet Tuesday night, then in walked Gazza, his Dad, and his team-mate (who I think was Andy Townshend).

Also used to see Gascoigne in the pub near the railway bridge outside Dunston Feds ground (The Prince of Wales ? something like that), that was a really shady place.

I'd climb a mountain for a bag of Tudor advert tower block :lol: ?

There is an "urban myth" that a 10-year old Alan Shearer is in the background in one of those adverts. Surely false. favourite Gateshead image was the "Shearer 9" shirt put on the Angel of the North - magnificent stuff. Werte the council involved ? I wouldn't rule it out up there :)

The former :lol: . I used to visit a company at The Fed Brewery site, (Ward's), and one of the lads took me to the charity auction (it was about 10 years ago). I may have exaggerated, but there was seriously no more than 40 people there on a p*shing wet Tuesday night, then in walked Gazza, his Dad, and his team-mate (who I think was Andy Townshend).

Also used to see Gascoigne in the pub near the railway bridge outside Dunston Feds ground (The Prince of Wales ? something like that), that was a really shady place.

I'd climb a mountain for a bag of Tudor advert tower block :lol: ?

There is an "urban myth" that a 10-year old Alan Shearer is in the background in one of those adverts. Surely false. favourite Gateshead image was the "Shearer 9" shirt put on the Angel of the North - magnificent stuff. Werte the council involved ? I wouldn't rule it out up there :)

Not too sure about Shearer being in the Tudor Crisps adverts, I'll ask him next time I see him. :wink:

Pubs near Fed's ground.......Collingwood, Rowers or possibly Royal Hotel? Prince of Wales doesn't ring a bell at all. :unsure: The Cross Keys was dodgy as fk though. :blink:

Not too sure about Shearer being in the Tudor Crisps adverts, I'll ask him next time I see him. :wink:

Pubs near Fed's ground.......Collingwood, Rowers or possibly Royal Hotel? Prince of Wales doesn't ring a bell at all. :unsure: The Cross Keys was dodgy as fk though. :blink:

Royal Hotel.

Kidnap your worst enemy; knock him out; dress him in a Sunderland AFC top; then wake him up just as you walk through the doors of the Royal. Then leave him in there. Alone.

It's my local. B)

Fuxake. I'll PM you when I am next up. Was meant to be at the end of October (booked at the Gibb Side) but Ward's went into administration. Apparently all sorted now, so maybe a game of pool at The Royal in the near future ?. With a concussed Kenny Black in the boot of my car in a SAFC top. :)

Fuxake. I'll PM you when I am next up. Was meant to be at the end of October (booked at the Gibb Side) but Ward's went into administration. Apparently all sorted now, so maybe a game of pool at The Royal in the near future ?. With a concussed Kenny Black in the boot of my car in a SAFC top. :)

Only joking, my local is Sunniside Social Club (live Marley Hill). :P

But give me a pm when you are around here. :cheers

can you fit Ian McCall in beside Kenny Black? :wink: