Top Five Sports Commentators

Crispian Crunchie

1. Bill McLaren. The Voice of Rugby, and unquestionably the finest commentator of all time, in any sport.

2. Peter O'Sullevan. His majestically hypnotic tones made dull horse races intersting.

3. David Francie. The Scots football commentator.

4. Syd Waddell ("His eyes are bulging like the belly of a hungry chaffinch").

5. John Arlott - literate, cultured, perfection in a voice like Bailey's .

1. The Norwegian - "Maaaggie Thatcher, Sir Winston Churchill, Lord Nelson, Sir Antony Eden, Lady Diana, Henry Cooper, ...... You're Boys took a Helllllluva beating"

2. Henry Longhurst (Chingy hates golf, did you know ?).

3. Alan Weeks (tended to commentate on kinda girly sports like ice skating, but had a nice relaxed delivery)

4. Kent Walton (tended to commentata on kinda girly sports like wrassling, but was right enthusiastic)

5. Harry Carpenter (still the voice of boxing)

Has anyone listened to the female football commentator that occassionally gets a gig on MOTD ? AAARRGGHHH !! Get her tae phuck !! Her high-pitched wails are enough to send all the nearby dogs into barking fits. I've no idea if her commentary on the match is any good or not, I just can't bear to have the sound on.

Has anyone listened to the female football commentator that occassionally gets a gig on MOTD ? AAARRGGHHH !! Get her tae phuck !! Her high-pitched wails are enough to send all the nearby dogs into barking fits. I've no idea if her commentary on the match is any good or not, I just can't bear to have the sound on.

I agree, I'd actually prefer Motty to that daftee, however this is just your typical pc bollox now , thin end of the wedge as dear old pater would say.............women and football , I tell you , why oh why :ph34r:

Same thing now with them starting to officiate. I mean female refs ffsake - Gi's a break. We go to the game for respite and quality time.

Next thing they'll be wanting to run the golf clubs :wacko:

Wid ye gie her wan though Derek :P

I agree, I'd actually prefer Motty to that daftee, however this is just your typical pc bollox now , thin end of the wedge as dear old pater would say.............women and football , I tell you , why oh why :ph34r:

I agree. :rolleyes:

Was there no some bint on the pitch in 1987 after we'd won the Cup, talking to the winning Buddies?

Whatever became of her?

Bet she's vanished off the face of the sporting earth...

Alan Green is good and honest about some of the shite fitba he gets paid to watch and report on r5live. I enjoy the odd snatches I hear, of him doing engerland games. :)

To be sure . He is a genuine hero for other reasons though , namely his achievement in the sport :wink: Met him in embra once , great guy :)

Sean and Stephen Roche are both great examples of sporting greats who can analyse their sport excellently. Take note walker et al

Sean and Stephen Roche are both great examples of sporting greats who can analyse their sport excellently. Take note walker et al

Yup Stephen Roche , also did the Irish proud and showed the continentals how to handle "Their sport". Its a pity that our own Robert Miller never quite made it and has now gone ....well ...kinda .,.well ..funny :blink: As for David Millar , maybe he could teach Dargo something about hypodermics.............

James Hunt - effortless. Usually under the influence of something, and infamously acted as co-commentator on a Grand Prix whilst lying on the floor of the commentary box

Peter Alliss - non-PC ramblings tend to be better once he's done his afternoon "sponsor tent" PAs. On seeing a Jap tourist on screen, he added "Amazing what you see when you don't have a gun in your hand" :huh:

David Francie - Colin Stein rounds the keeper whilst playing for Scotland....."and he's f*cking missed it !"

Arthur Montford - the jackets; the blind optimism ("Argentina here we come !"); and the economy of words: "MacDougall - a bit of a stramash...chance in front...Somner...goal !"

The greatest of them all.....

Sid Waddell -

"Jockey Wilson . . . What an athlete"

"It's the nearest thing to public execution this side of Saudi Arabia"

"John Lowe is striding out like Alexander the Great conquering the Persians"

"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds to conquer..... Bristow's only 27."

“Big Cliff Lazarenko's idea of exercise is sitting in a room with the windows open taking the lid off something cool and fizzy.â€

I agree. :rolleyes:

Was there no some bint on the pitch in 1987 after we'd won the Cup, talking to the winning Buddies?

Whatever became of her?

Bet she's vanished off the face of the sporting earth...

Was that no Sally Mcnair?

works with FS reading the news on reporting Scotland now - think she was on the open bus through the town that night too - but my menory of that day is a bit blurred!

Was that no Sally Mcnair?

works with FS reading the news on reporting Scotland now - think she was on the open bus through the town that night too - but my menory of that day is a bit blurred!

I'll ask her next time I'm reading the news with her... :lol:

post-31-1197814055_thumb.jpg