Findo Gask

It's a small town off the M/A9 between Stirling and Perth nearer to Perth - ever time I pass the sign I think it'd be a great name for a character in a book.

Sounds like a spare part from the storeman's inventory at Weir's of Cathcart !

there was a band from paisley called findo gask in the 70s and 80s

im some forum members could tell more

Sure can, they went under a variety of names and played in many venues across the UK. FG were pretty muchguaranteed to fill any of the regular small venues in the west of scotland and beyond They were going places until they signed for a Glasgow management agency and were asigned a certain Dougie Donnelly as manager, DD stank as a manager and they fell to pieces soon after. They got an EMI record deal as a battle of the bands prize and had a single out in Holland which didnt do too well, it got airplay but the record company never gave them the support they needed. The lead singer was Davie Pattison who went on to form his own band in 75 or thereabouts, they were going places until their manager, a certain buddy of Billy Connolly, was implicated in one of the biggest drugs busts of the time. he was financing some gigs in the states and was arrested a few days before departure. Turned out he was going to line the cabinets of their sound gear with packets of LSD. All their stuff was confiscated pending trial. DP went on to become a member of a US band called Gamma who were led by a popular guitarist called Ronnie Montrose and had some chart hits with them, he now splits his time between his own blues projects and singing with Robin Trower.http://www.daveypattison.com/index.html.

Apparently he is in the UK with Trower this year, Glasgae Arches in May.

Click the link to hear three tracks. In providing this link, I am in no way endorsing or condoning listening to such bland pish.

Findo Gask

was going to say it´s a bit overproduced....but then realised if you took all the production away it would just be a bloke playing the same couple of chords on the bass over and over.

you do get some odd topics on here.

Guess what ? It is the name of a character in a book. A Pish book, mind, but still a book.

Findo Gask appears in all of "The word and the void" trilogy and the "Genesis of Shannara" books.

They may be pish in your opinion, but I've read all of Brook's books and IMO they are not pish.If you like fantasy type novels then you'll find his books enjoyable.However if you don't like fantasy type novels or you're a failed politician, then apparently you won't.

Terry Brooks' books

In a previous life Paddy Malarky's was known as Jack Daniels and the owner was a guy called Bert Downey. One of the barmen, I think a student guy called Andy, informed that Bert had been a bass player in a band. When asked the name I was informed that it was the aforesaid Findo Gask. Of the band I couldn't say whatthey were like but Bert was a decent bloke, even if he enjoyed a drink or two.

They may be pish in your opinion, but I've read all of Brook's books and IMO they are not pish.If you like fantasy type novels then you'll find his books enjoyable.However if you don't like fantasy type novels or you're a failed politician, then apparently you won't.

Draw your prickles back in. I do actually like the fantasy genre up to a point - I've read Tolkien's LOTR trilogy several times and I also quite enjoyed Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant stuff. But it seems to me that you can take things too far with this genre - to a point where everything becomes simply too derivative of what's gone before, and just soooo boring. And that's what seems to be wrong with Terry Brooks' novels (and also, for that matter, the Silmarillion - JRRT taking things just too far). Of course, if you like Terry Brooks' novels, then you'll like Terry Brooks' novels. But then if you like gorgonzola cheese, then you'll like gorgonzola cheese.

In a previous life Paddy Malarky's was known as Jack Daniels and the owner was a guy called Bert Downey. One of the barmen, I think a student guy called Andy, informed that Bert had been a bass player in a band. When asked the name I was informed that it was the aforesaid Findo Gask. Of the band I couldn't say whatthey were like but Bert was a decent bloke, even if he enjoyed a drink or two.

i remember Bert, was it not called Legends as well under his management

Speaking of books, I thought Heart$Parky had a new one coming out.

Haven't heard zip about it and there's nowt on his website. I wish he'd hurry up.

I've read two Carl Hiassen trilogies since I finished "Rubber Ducks" and I'm now back to reading Ian Rankin books. :angry:

I think I already am soundly asleep after these last few posts.

To get back on topic, and to add to the general confusion. Is there not two bands called findo gask?, one that are around just now and get played on Radio Scotland a lot and the other being the rock band from a while back.

know what you mean exactly

I think books are boring as well and most people that read them ar usually boring as well :D

Draw your prickles back in. I do actually like the fantasy genre up to a point - I've read Tolkien's LOTR trilogy several times and I also quite enjoyed Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant stuff. But it seems to me that you can take things too far with this genre - to a point where everything becomes simply too derivative of what's gone before, and just soooo boring. And that's what seems to be wrong with Terry Brooks' novels (and also, for that matter, the Silmarillion - JRRT taking things just too far). Of course, if you like Terry Brooks' novels, then you'll like Terry Brooks' novels. But then if you like gorgonzola cheese, then you'll like gorgonzola cheese.

Fair enough.

As much as I enjoyed the Lord of the rings films,I did try to read the books years before, but found them to be overly verbose and I hated the poem type verse things that interspersed the story.

Out of interest CC,which of Brooks' novels have you read that has led you to the conclusion that his books are boring?

P.S.former learning support pupils should feel free to ignore this post as the references to literature may short circuit their cerebral cortexes.

Edited by FTOF