Darlington V St Mirren

shull

I live in Darlo (have done since end of `99): -

There is one of those premier sleep inns on the outskirts of the town, with a Brewers fayre type pub thingy attached, should provide reasonably priced accom, food etc, otherwise this town is not well served at all by B n B's.

Be carefull if you google for B n B's as my sister did it earlier in the year when she came down for the wifes 30th. The 3 that google all offered up are bail hostels, residents are all smack heads, rooms stink of p*sh etc. :angry:

There is another travel lodge thingy at J59 of the A1 slap bang in between Darlo & Newton Aycliffe - however for those that don't know the area a taxi to the travel lodge at Washington services - £30 squid.

There are a couple of pubs to avoid as this is where the local lads meet up before meeting up with any visitors. A few of the locals do have "issues" with any "foreign" accents - most Scots/Welsh & other "foreign" English accents belong to one of the 15,000 squaddies from catterick garrison just up the road. It's always fun and games in the town centre when one of the regiments is allowed out for the night.

Someone posted about a pub caled The SPORTSMAN?????? - never heard of it, where is it?

Don't get too excited about the stadium, it might have 25,000 seats, but only about 10,000 max allowed in. It's a joke.

I live in Darlo (have done since end of `99): -

There is one of those premier sleep inns on the outskirts of the town, with a Brewers fayre type pub thingy attached, should provide reasonably priced accom, food etc, otherwise this town is not well served at all by B n B's.

Be carefull if you google for B n B's as my sister did it earlier in the year when she came down for the wifes 30th. The 3 that google all offered up are bail hostels, residents are all smack heads, rooms stink of p*sh etc. :angry:

There is another travel lodge thingy at J59 of the A1 slap bang in between Darlo & Newton Aycliffe - however for those that don't know the area a taxi to the travel lodge at Washington services - £30 squid.

There are a couple of pubs to avoid as this is where the local lads meet up before meeting up with any visitors. A few of the locals do have "issues" with any "foreign" accents - most Scots/Welsh & other "foreign" English accents belong to one of the 15,000 squaddies from catterick garrison just up the road. It's always fun and games in the town centre when one of the regiments is allowed out for the night.

Someone posted about a pub caled The SPORTSMAN?????? - never heard of it, where is it?

Don't get too excited about the stadium, it might have 25,000 seats, but only about 10,000 max allowed in. It's a joke.

Cheers for the info bud,i have stayed at the travel inn near the ground and its okay and handy.

Which pubs would you suggest the saints fans go to?

The Red Lion & William Stead - both next to each other in Crown street.

Tanners hall & yates's in Skinnergate.

Tapas bar in Bondgate

No. 22 Conniscliffe Road.

Hole in the wall - Market place.

All of the above are within 2-3 mins walk of each other - and only about 1 mile from the ground.

Things will change when the LSD arrive in Town. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
Is it just pay at the gate for this game? I can't see ticketing details anywhere.

JM1 - I hope you're heading up to Newcastle for the night out part of the stag do - I'm not convinced Darlo has much to offer of an evening...

Yeah, we're going out in Newcastle on Saturday night. :cheers

I've been told Darlo (and from a few Thistle supporting mates, Whitley Bay) is a bit shite and full of mentalists.

Im heading to Newcastle for 10.30 am Saturday, and checking in to hotel. Dropping my gear there, then heading back to train station for the 40 minute train journey to Darlo. Hoping to be there for around lunchtime.

After the game, may hang around for an hour or so, then its back to the Toon for a night on the lash:)

I was out on the Toon last Saturday night - it's a spectator sport! It remains one of my favourite night-time palces and a year of living here hasn't dulled that at all.

I will be getting the train to Darlo but I'm not sure what time - might be a bit after lunch - depends on whether the missus comes to the game or not. I'll look out for other Saints tops on the train just on the off-chance.

JM1 - Whitley Bay definitely has a bit of a small town mentality and is best avoided. Stick to the centre of Newcastle, including the quayside, and you can't go wrong.

Imagine my surprise when I realised that Darlington was 40 miles from where me and my Saints supporting mate are taking our families for a holiday :lol: Imagine my wifes coupon when we dropped the "were going to the football on Saturday bombshell". Oh well every holiday ends up in some family arguement, it's just that this one will start with one.

Anyone know what 2 wifes and 2 children can do for a couple of hours in Darlington?