Your Favourite Ever Pub In Paisley...................

FTOF

In a pub called the Cooperage in Newcastle at the weekend, you could get a wee can of peanuts from a machine.

How things have advanced.

My mistake.It was actually wee paper cones you collected the peanuts in.

It's remarkable that we have progresed from paper cones to cans in 20 years. :rolleyes:

Is that the one on Bridge St that burned down yesterday ? :huh:

Thats the one, though not being a resident of Paisley any more didn't know it had burned down. Maybe i should order the PDE and then be at least guaranteed to get all the Paisley news three days late.

I seem to remember traipsing up there from Shuttle Street [in it's Shuttles, Earl of Cranby, Latin Quarter days], because it had a late licence until one, unlike some of the pubs in shuttle street. :unsure:

You could get wee bags of peanuts from a machine, which invariably ended up in each other's pints.How childish. :)

The Earl of Cranby was infamous around the time that Paisley was being dubbed the "murder capital" of Europe. I remember one Friday night, a guy being stabbed in it and subsequently dying. The next week, some jakkie stopped the music and asked for everyone to have a minutes silence for the deceased. After about two seconds, the silence was broken as someone shouted "f*ck off, i never liked the c*nt".

Looking back, I do question why I was there to witness this, as now there'd be nae chance of me going back to a pub seven days after someone had been killed there.

As well as being "Make for the Border" it was an "Irish" pub as well although I can't recall its name.

'Paddy McGinty's Dream' or something like that...? Had a big Guinness clock on the wall outside

The Garage aka Network aka The Institute aka Pravda was the nightclub next door. The pub in question was at the right hand end of the building.

I think it was the nightclub that went on fire (The Institute) according to the PDX, not 'Make for the Border' etc.

local was the lord lounsdale and probably horsed that borrheid team at pool too

town haunt was "shuttles" when it first opened...great pub

Cannae ever mind my Team ( The Sovereign ) getting horsed by The Lounsdale. You lot weren't a Bad Team, but didnae have our class :)

The Friarshall and Burgh Bar were decent boozers with excellent Pool Teams.

Edited by shull

I remember queing up outside Cannes hoping they wouldn't ask for ID. For some reason the only CD they had was U2 'Under A Blood Red Sky'. It was on constantly. Did they not also have bean bags instead of seats?

Paris was another haunt in my early days. There was a wee pub at the other end of Silk Street at the time. I think I was only in it once or twice. Don't think it was open long and can't remember the name.

Then there were the glory days of Shuttles, The Earl Of Cranby, LaVerte's and Toledo Junction.

Harvies Showbar on a Friday night in my late twenties was a must for meeting an array of obliging girls. I also remember Nostalgia at the Silver Thread/Ardgowan Hotel was popular for a while.

Those WERE the days.

:)

Paris was another haunt in my early days. There was a wee pub at the other end of Silk Street at the time. I think I was only in it once or twice. Don't think it was open long and can't remember the name.

Blazers? (which was ironic on 2 fronts....1. It was full of Grammar punters who had to hide their blazer to get in after school and 2, it went up in flames eventually).

Edited by Herbie