Let Bygones Be Bygones

Guest saint hits the net

Guest saint hits the net

I bought a book years ago called " Bygones" - all about items such as toys, games, Chocolate bars, clothes etc which were once popular but have now been confined to the memory banks. Here's my top five.

1: Tamagotchi's : Electronic devices which allowed you to look after a pet - but without the mess.

2: The Stylophone: Miniature keyboard advertised by Rolf Harris and so popular at the time. I'm sure I remember reading that David Bowie used the Stylophone on one of his tracks.

3: Cap bombs: When i was a kid, I loved throwing these toy bombs up in the air and hearing the bang when they landed properly - and that was about every one in ten throws.

4: Tuf shoes. Unique design which incorporated a compass - seemingly if you were lost, you could remove your shoe and find your way home ! If only they had included instructions of how to use a compass !

5: Betamax videos. You make choices in life and like many others, I chose VHS rather than Betamax - which by all accounts were decent enough. Don't ask me what happened.

I should have included fizzy cola spangles - oops, I just have...

5: Betamax videos. You make choices in life and like many others, I chose VHS rather than Betamax - which by all accounts were decent enough. Don't ask me what happened.

Ah yes. Betamax videos. I had one of those. I also subscribed to BSB. If you want to know which version of a new technology to opt for, just ask me what I'm getting - then get the other one. :blink:

Edited by Reidy1987

4: Tuf shoes. Unique design which incorporated a compass - seemingly if you were lost, you could remove your shoe and find your way home ! If only they had included instructions of how to use a compass !

I should have included fizzy cola spangles - oops, I just have...

You are thinking of Wayfinder's which also had animal tracks on the soles. Later versions were Outer Space themed with silver soles and the compass replaced with a magnet for some strange reason. Not that a compass in your show was that normal in the first place.

Cola Spangles were the worst for cutting your tongue ( and rotting your gnashers).

What about all the different sets of collectable cards with a stick of well crap powder coated bubble gum?

I only ever managed to collect 2 full sets. The 1st Man from Uncle series and the High Chaparral.

I'm now nostalgiaed out my mind and off to try and download the Man from Uncle theme.

Who out there had a Man from Uncle triangular badge? What were Solo's and Kuryakin's badge numbers?

Stylophones are now worth £20k

What ? Please tell me you're not serious. I had a Stylophone which my Dad snatched off me and hurled against the wall a few days after Xmas when I wouldn't stop playing it after he told me to - he was a bit like that character in Chewin the Fat that loses the place and ends up wrecking things in frustration. Needless to say I was in floods of tears and Dad didn't half get it in the neck from my mum for smashing something that had cost them good money. Big bruv was able to repair the stylophone with his soldering iron, etc, but it was never quite the same. If only I still had the feckin thing today - I've no idea what happened to it, but I could do with £20K........ :(

I also subscribed to BSB.

Was that the one with the really small, diamond shaped dish? I had that as well (I can't remember a time when my house just had terrestrial!) and it had channels with imaginative names, such as "The Sports Channel"

Was that the one with the really small, diamond shaped dish? I had that as well (I can't remember a time when my house just had terrestrial!) and it had channels with imaginative names, such as "The Sports Channel"

Yep, that's the one. You could also get a wee dish about the size of a soup plate. Brilliant picture quality and crystal-clear sound. Unfortunately, it only had 5 channels - The Galaxy Channel, mostly re-runs of Doctor Who; The Sports Channel, which featured a lot of Scottish and Italian football; The Movie Channel (guess what it showed); The Lifestyle Channel (kind of TV versionj of Woman's Own); and a music channel whose name I can't remember but it featured shows by such notables as Jono Coleman and the last ever video it showed was "Just a gigolo" by Bruce Dickinson...

If you look at the top of the building above the Afton Bar there is still a 'squariel' there to this day.

Bobby F's maw'll will be trying to get it 'listed' soon............... :lol:

Edited by BongoVonBudvarStoneColdRockPump

Guest saint hits the net

BSB's music station was called Power I think. I remember a ginger haired youth used to front a show which had a "man in a kagool" slot. The presenter's name - Chris Evans.

I suppose those "squarial" satellite dishes must be collector's items by now. And we did get to see a St Mirren game live - was it at Aberdeen ? Andy Gray has come a long way since then.

BSB's music station was called Power I think. I remember a ginger haired youth used to front a show which had a "man in a kagool" slot. The presenter's name - Chris Evans.

I suppose those "squarial" satellite dishes must be collector's items by now. And we did get to see a St Mirren game live - was it at Aberdeen ? Andy Gray has come a long way since then.

BSB covered a few Saints games live. I remember a league cup tie with Hearts at Love Street having to kick off at 8:05pm to accommodate them. And we played the green bigots in a cup tie live on BSB. They had a really good package every week of Scottish highlights too - much better than the Sky deal.

There's also a squarial still stuck to the wall above the 19th Hole in Renfrew. (Hmmm... cue a new thread - where's the strangest place you've seen a squariel? :D )

Guest saint hits the net

I've been trying to remember some of the other items listed in the "bygones" book.

Chad Valley projector - home movies for kids.

Wonderloaf - Brilliant bread ? Maybe not.

Totopoly - Racing game made by Waddington's - who also make monopoly.

Clackers - Best fun you could have with a pair of balls - well not quite.

Bazooka Joe's. Chewing gum but the fun was joining his club where you would get sent a secret code which only kids could understand - or so we thought.

Chopper bikes - the Harley Davidson's of the cycling world.

Sta-press, Maxi dresses, Hotpants and Crombies were also mentioned.

Should bring back a few memories for some....

Also was anyone else unfortunate enough to experience the horror of a Yards-like piemuncher sitting on the wee rack on the back wheel and flipping the bike resulting in a dismount that Olga Korbut would have been proud of. Here's a pic in case you've forgot what the wee rack thing was - it is rematkable just how many wains you get on a chopper at once ^_^

mark2bw.jpg

Guest TPAFKATS
Yep, that's the one. You could also get a wee dish about the size of a soup plate. Brilliant picture quality and crystal-clear sound. Unfortunately, it only had 5 channels - The Galaxy Channel, mostly re-runs of Doctor Who; The Sports Channel, which featured a lot of Scottish and Italian football; The Movie Channel (guess what it showed); The Lifestyle Channel (kind of TV versionj of Woman's Own); and a music channel whose name I can't remember but it featured shows by such notables as Jono Coleman and the last ever video it showed was "Just a gigolo" by Bruce Dickinson...

It was Dave Lee Roth, not Bruce Dickinson. Get your 80's metal gods sorted out Reidy!

The idea of Bruce Dickinson doing it is quite amusing though!