Graphics Card Screwed?

Kenikeli

Well, it seems to be! Every time I try to play a "graphics intensive" game such as Medal of Honour, Area51, Armed Assault etc, my pc crashes completely. I downloaded most recent drivers for me card Nvidia G -force 8600 GTS and also the latest drivers for my sound card as well. It's still crashing when I launch (note, not even get to play!) any of the above mentioned games. I turned hardware acceleration right down, with no luck and set the colour to 16 bit, still no luck. I can play older games like steel panthers and pacific general also games on sega emulator, so it seems there's a definite problem and now I'm at me wits end. This started late Friday night and has increased in frequency since then.

All ideas or tips and fixes appreciated!

Well, it seems to be! Every time I try to play a "graphics intensive" game such as Medal of Honour, Area51, Armed Assault etc, my pc crashes completely. I downloaded most recent drivers for me card Nvidia G -force 8600 GTS and also the latest drivers for my sound card as well. It's still crashing when I launch (note, not even get to play!) any of the above mentioned games. I turned hardware acceleration right down, with no luck and set the colour to 16 bit, still no luck. I can play older games like steel panthers and pacific general also games on sega emulator, so it seems there's a definite problem and now I'm at me wits end. This started late Friday night and has increased in frequency since then.

All ideas or tips and fixes appreciated!

I take it this is a recent problem and you've been able to play the games fine in the past, so the normal checks on PC spec to the games' min and recommended requirements don't apply? I'm sure with that experience above you won't be running any other intensive programs (either directly or background tasks in the task manager/whatever) either?

Could it be that some settings have been changed as regards the hardware performance, or an update of some kind has produced a conflict somewhere? Might be worth trying a system restore with a recent restore point when it's been fine to see if that helps if you have that facility, or running diagnostic tests on the card itself if you can.

Other than that, I wouldn't really be sure...unless the card is indeed jiggered. Don't play many games on this these days with the PC being quite old so have never looked at the issue really. Good luck in getting it sorted though.

Edited by Tennant's Lager

Cant help here but on the subject I think I may have a similar problem. Anytime I try and watch videos online or play any games the computer has this stutter (stutter :P ) like effect on the viewing or the cursor jams etc.

Is that your graphics card that causes this :unsure:

I'd have thought that one was running too many programs at once, or having too many browser windows open. Get that one a fair bit too. Normally closing a few sorts it out.

In your control panel/system/device manager under video adapters. I'm sorted btw, turned out to be one of the games (area51) which I'd downloaded had a couple of bits of spyware/malware in it. thanks for yer replies. As for freezes and stutters if you're running in firefox there's a glitch that's known of and there's a fix coming out soon (apparently).

In your control panel/system/device manager under video adapters. I'm sorted btw, turned out to be one of the games (area51) which I'd downloaded had a couple of bits of spyware/malware in it. thanks for yer replies. As for freezes and stutters if you're running in firefox there's a glitch that's known of and there's a fix coming out soon (apparently).
Im using internet explorer - Its just videos and games it freezes on mostly :(