St. Mirren In Ghana?!

I was on soccerway earlier and noticed that there's a team called St. Mirren in Ghana:

http://www.soccerway.com/national/ghana/first

I looked up the Ghana top league on Wikipedia but this Ghanaian club has no page. Their title, though, appears to be "Sporting Saint Mirren FC."

Does anyone know anything about this side? Are they linked with THIS St. Mirren, or did they just like the name, or is it a complete coincidence and St. Mirren is venerated locally?

Either way I was pleased to note that they're bottom of the league :D

edit: I found a little more - apparently they've just changed their name to Sporting Mirren instead of St. Mirren - http://www.ghanaweb.com/CrusadingGuide/article.php?ID=12404

Edited by nach0king

I was on soccerway earlier and noticed that there's a team called St. Mirren in Ghana:

http://www.soccerway.com/national/ghana/first

I looked up the Ghana top league on Wikipedia but this Ghanaian club has no page. Their title, though, appears to be "Sporting Saint Mirren FC."

Does anyone know anything about this side? Are they linked with THIS St. Mirren, or did they just like the name, or is it a complete coincidence and St. Mirren is venerated locally?

Either way I was pleased to note that they're bottom of the league :D

edit: I found a little more - apparently they've just changed their name to Sporting Mirren instead of St. Mirren - http://www.ghanaweb.com/CrusadingGuide/article.php?ID=12404

Yeah we knew about them.

Someone who had worked out there brought it to the attention of our SMFC, and it made the rounds on here for a while. Indeed, we actually had the Ghana side's chairman and some first team players over here for a PotY night some years back. Not long after that a link was more formally established as we sent out a set of first team kits in the proper B&W stripes, as their club colours had been (shockingly) green & gold before! I note from the article that they've only been using B&W as an away kit though...and I don't think anyone had heard about the name change, which are both a tad disappointing.

As for them being bottom of the league...iirc, they had only just been promoted to the top flight this season so it's perhaps no surprise.

As for why the name was used - Ghana seems to have a lot of clubs which ape the name of famous sides in Europe, which may explain the lack of a M*rt*n there..... :wink:

Yeah we knew about them.

Someone who had worked out there brought it to the attention of our SMFC, and it made the rounds on here for a while. Indeed, we actually had the Ghana side's chairman and some first team players over here for a PotY night some years back. Not long after that a link was more formally established as we sent out a set of first team kits in the proper B&W stripes, as their club colours had been (shockingly) green & gold before! I note from the article that they've only been using B&W as an away kit though...and I don't think anyone had heard about the name change, which are both a tad disappointing.

As for them being bottom of the league...iirc, they had only just been promoted to the top flight this season so it's perhaps no surprise.

As for why the name was used - Ghana seems to have a lot of clubs which ape the name of famous sides in Europe, which may explain the lack of a M*rt*n there..... :wink:

I think the name came about from a Paisley man who worked across there as a businessman and co-founded the club. He was St.Mirren fan

Yeah we knew about them.

very true about m*rt*n. good on ye. :wink:

• 5 years later...

Yeah we knew about them.

As for why the name was used - Ghana seems to have a lot of clubs which ape the name of famous sides in Europe, which may explain the lack of a M*rt*n there..... wink.gif

Remember that night well! Abercorn bowling club