Weather

gc_SMFC

Does anybody actually know what a plane crashing sounds like since that's what everyone seems to think a clap of thunder sounds like? :rolleyes:

Not that I'm an expert on plane explosions, but surely an exploding plane (or even a building) would emit a light of an orange hue?

Therefore when I saw the white flash of light and heard a rather loud noise that sounded remarkably like thunder, albeit that it was very loud and resonant, I sort of assumed that it was thunder and lightning. B)

Not that I'm an expert on plane explosions, but surely an exploding plane (or even a building) would emit a light of an orange hue?

Therefore when I saw the white flash of light and heard a rather loud noise that sounded remarkably like thunder, albeit that it was very loud and resonant, I sort of assumed that it was thunder and lightning. B)

I have never known thunder and lighting in the middle of winter before

Didn't realise the Playboy Mansion was in Foxbar ? :huh:

As for the weather, my mate in Skelmorlie said his cat came through the cat flap without touching the sides, just before all the car alarms in the street went off. I think Ming the Merciless is up to his old tricks again.

I stay off Stanley Avenue,Next door to our chairman. :) In Between Foxbar and Glenburn.

Edited by The one

Chaos in Johnstone / Paisley......there's a big crash at Linwood Toll roundabout. 5 cars and a bus blocking the route and to add to the chaos Johnstone High Street is flooded.

Glasgow Road at Barshaw Park was down to one lane earlier and Netherhill Road at the Brabloch flats is disappearing fast.

About 3 feet of water at the bottom of Fulbar Rd/Aldi. Road closed and fire engine in attendance.

Probably about 4 feet of water by now...

I was literally a second too late to get through at the roundabout next to the new housing estate. I was mightily pissed off at the time that they'd closed it right in front of me but perhaps it was a good thing. Took me one hour and 20 minutes to get home today, usually takes 15. The whole of Paisley is like one giant car park.

I stay off Stanley Avenue,Next door to our chairman. :) In Between Foxbar and Glenburn.

Aye, just down the hill and through the woods from me. Heard it last night and thought exactly the same as others on here - that it might've been a plane crash with it being so loud. Daft thing was the neighbours all went outside to talk about it. :blink: Would have thought that staying in would have been the more sensible thing to fecking do after quite possibly the loudest thunderclap most of them will ever have heard. :rolleyes:

As for the weather today, utterly hellish. Noticed Murray St was impassable under the railway bridge at about 1pm, and within 3 hours Mr. Gilmour's cricket club was under water, with Corsebar Road flooded there to the point of folk doing u-turns according to my dad. Didn't help the traffic one iota while I was out either - noticed what IP was talking about - thankfully managed to turn down towards Feegie at that roundabout at the back of ASDA instead of getting caught up in it.

If the rain continues through tonight, surely the game tomorrow is in doubt? Can't imagine they'll have had it any better down in Killie. :huh:

According to a wee wifey from Lockerbie we interviewed for tonight's Reporting Scotland, it make a kind of "CRUMP" sound followed by a massive orange flash... :huh:

CRUMP - that's a good word, very onomatopoeic - although given that light travels quicker than sound, I would have thought she'd have seen the orange flash first, then heard the 'crump'.

I have never known thunder and lighting in the middle of winter before

I have.

The phenomenon is generally associated with hailstones and we get plenty of them in winter.

The hailstones rub together inside the clouds where warm and cool air meet, producing a shitload of static electricity which forms the lightning.

The fact that hailstorms are so localised meant that the one last night was probably directly above Paisley/Barrhead, so the lightning was almost instantaneously followed by the clap of thunder.

Anyway, I'm holiday for two weeks, so enough of the unpaid scientific explanations, I'm away to get pished. :)

I have.

The phenomenon is generally associated with hailstones and we get plenty of them in winter.

The hailstones rub together inside the clouds where warm and cool air meet, producing a shitload of static electricity which forms the lightning.

The fact that hailstorms are so localised meant that the one last night was probably directly above Paisley/Barrhead, so the lightning was almost instantaneously followed by the clap of thunder.

Anyway, I'm holiday for two weeks, so enough of the unpaid scientific explanations, I'm away to get pished. :)

Well you live and learn

• 5 years later...