Top 5 Festive Season Traditions.....

St. Sid

With woolies disappearing bargain by bargain in its final festive season what other traditions have gone by the way side:

1. The Agnews Advert

2. Morecambe & Wise Show (Now you get f'k'n Hannah Montana, HSM or such like pish)

3. Everything Being Shut - it used to be like a scene out of an apocolypse movie, even the icecream vans took the day off

4. Proper Hogmany Parties and first footing- wegiescumbagland street parties and pubs and night clubs opening has f"k'd it

5. Xmas TOTP and a good Xmas single - nobody even bothers their arse trying now.

Top 5 new traditions that are simply w@nk:

1. Xmas crackers at pub xmas parties - why the f"k do adult want to pull kids Xmas crackers when there's no kids there.

2. Fireworks at the Bells - what the f"k is that all about? Who in their right mind would be setting off fireworks after the whisky has been cracked open. :blink:

3. New Year Street Parties and Pubs Opening - f''k'n nonsense, everybody other than absolute emergancy staff should get the hols too.

4. Supermarkets, shops and St Mirren Ticket offoices opening - as above.

5. Ally f'k'n Bain - I'm sure as fiddle players go he is no doubt one of the finest at playing screechy shite; however screechy shite is exactly what it is. Other than the Proclaimers Scotland is bereft of genuine Hogmany class talent like Kenneth McKellar or the two Alistair chappies.

With woolies disappearing bargain by bargain in its final festive season what other traditions have gone by the way side:

1. The Agnews Advert

2. Morecambe & Wise Show (Now you get f'k'n Hannah Montana, HSM or such like pish)

3. Everything Being Shut - it used to be like a scene out of an apocolypse movie, even the icecream vans took the day off

4. Proper Hogmany Parties and first footing- wegiescumbagland street parties and pubs and night clubs opening has f"k'd it

5. Xmas TOTP and a good Xmas single - nobody even bothers their arse trying now.

1. Xmas crackers at pub xmas parties - why the f"k do adult want to pull kids Xmas crackers when there's no kids there.

2. Fireworks at the Bells - what the f"k is that all about? Who in their right mind would be setting off fireworks after the whisky has been cracked open. :blink:

3. New Year Street Parties and Pubs Opening - f''k'n nonsense, everybody other than absolute emergancy staff should get the hols too.

5. Ally f'k'n Bain - I'm sure as fiddle players go he is no doubt one of the finest at playing screechy shite; however screechy shite is exactly what it is. Other than the Proclaimers Scotland is bereft of genuine Hogmany class talent like Kenneth McKellar or the two Alistair chappies.

It was 2000 that kicked all that off.

Imo, fireworks should be kept for organised displays. Anything else ends up rather annoyingly random and pishy looking.

1. The Agnews Advert

Agree with most of that , but not the Fireworks.

Think about it, If your outside watching the fireworks then you`d totally miss Ally Bain, Eddie Reader and sundry other once a year tartan trimmed fossils getting their annual appearance fee courtesy of the license payer :wink:

1. The Agnews Advert

I can agree with all of the above but not wi the Ally Bain statement !! :blink:

I met the man once in Lochinver and he was a gent, and he can play the old fiddle like f**k !! - gets ma toe tappin and the drink flowing. :P

Ongoing festive tradition...............

Shull's annual 'Santa's died' rumour.....................

Whit ?? :o

That my dad used tae come doon the Stairs oan Xmas Morning, wearing a Black Tie and saying Santa wis Deid ! :(

Edited by shull

Whit ?? :o

That my dad used tae come doon the Stairs oan Xmas Morning, wearing a Black Tie and saying Santa wis Deid ! :(

Let me guess - he also used to tell you that when the ice cream vans played their tune, it was to announce they had sold out ? :P

I liked Sid/Jerry's bit about everything being shut. It was part of the festive fun - try and estimate, then buy, enough booze to see you through one of the heaviest periods of bevvying in the calendar. Once you had inevitably run out after 24 hours, it was an amusing challenge to try and blag enough freebies by going to parties at people's houses you would never dream of going to in a million years.....and be civil enough with them until a few cans of Tartan was offered :wink:

1. The Agnews Advert

Was that the advert where Rikki Fulton is standing outside a cairry-out shop greeting about lucky white heather :lol:

Always wondered what became of Agnew's Stores?

The other Christmas ad I remember was the one for McEwans Export. 'MCEWANS, MCEWANS, THE BEST BUY IN BEER!!!'

Was that the advert where Rikki Fulton is standing outside a cairry-out shop greeting about lucky white heather :lol:

Always wondered what became of Agnew's Stores?

The other Christmas ad I remember was the one for McEwans Export. 'MCEWANS, MCEWANS, THE BEST BUY IN BEER!!!'

I only have a vague memory of it. I always thought it was Ian Cuthbertson - he always played the wegiescumbag cardboard gangster type in a crombie and the wee skinny scottish actor that was a sidekick in Callan, think it was russell hunter....the memory is a bit hazy on that one though. I did work with Agnew's owners daughter though. Apparently he was of polish descent and the mainstay of the business was cheap imported vodka. He got a good offer and sold it off.