Ian Harte Agrees to sign but changes mind!!!

The "NEW LOVE STREET" Stadium must have influenced his decision , not sure he would have signed had we still been at old love street , Stadium paying dividends by attracting higher profile players

I believe he is excited at the prospect of tying the goalposts to the minibus and going hunting for somewhere to train every morning :)

For a player of this calibre and past record to be joining St. Mirren while still only 31 rings alarm bells for me......

What we need to do however is ensure that our players fall on the deck anywhere in or around the penalty box as this guy is great with free kicks and penalties. Even if he can't run anymore, his dead ball ability might be worth it...........

For a player of this calibre and past record to be joining St. Mirren while still only 31 rings alarm bells for me......

What we need to do however is ensure that our players fall on the deck anywhere in or around the penalty box as this guy is great with free kicks and penalties. Even if he can't run anymore, his dead ball ability might be worth it...........

Or as it's also known, using the 'Celtic tactic' when the Jap is playing...

Doesn’t news travel fast.

Daily Record.

St Mirren snap up short-term deal for former Leeds star Ian Harte

Feb 5 2009

ST MIRREN have pulled off the shock free-transfer signing of former Leeds and Sunderland left back Ian Harte.

The 31-year-old had arrived in Paisley for talks with Buddies boss Gus MacPherson over a possible move to the SPL side.

And Harte put pen to paper on a deal that will keep him with the Scots' side until the end of the season.

With clubs from the English Championship, as well as other SPL teams, showing an interest St Mirren moved quickly to get their man.

Despite a huge gulf in finances between the Championship and SPL, Harte's agent Willie McKay said personal details were never going to be a stumbling block.

McKay said: "It will be a coup for them. Celtic were prepared to pay £2m for him two years ago.

"Ian has had a great career. Money is not the objective. He wants to play football and to play for a team that wants him.

"He has been playing well for Blackpool and Gus was first on the phone when he left there.

"He was just filling in there because their other two left-backs were injured, but they are coming back now and they could not afford to keep him."

Over the moon at this signing. And the first thing that came to mind was his free kick abilities. IIRC he was still banging them in in Spain, too. A wee bit worried when I heard he'd left Blackpool which indicates a declining career however I'm surprised he's only still 31. I wish him all the best in Paisley and let's hope we can keep him beyond the end of the season if he does the business.

Erm, one little question though; what's gonna happen to Franco? :unsure:

Over the moon at this signing. And the first thing that came to mind was his free kick abilities. IIRC he was still banging them in in Spain, too. A wee bit worried when I heard he'd left Blackpool which indicates a declining career however I'm surprised he's only still 31. I wish him all the best in Paisley and let's hope we can keep him beyond the end of the season if he does the business.

AT LAST 2 NATURAL FULLBACKS ROSS AND HARTE AND 1 CAN HIT A DEAD BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will depend entirely on whether he ups his game to force his way back into the team.

A good addition hopefully. That he has recently been playing regularly at a good level (higher than the SPL) shows he must be in decent shape despite past injury problems. He's only here to the end of the season so it's a good deal for both parties.

On paper this looks like a terrific signing, but like every player, you have to wait and see them in a few games before we can make a judgement.

One thing is for sure though, we won't be missing any more penalties if he is playing B)

A big name for certain but they rarely work out for us in the time I've been following the side.

Here's hoping this is an exception to the rule. If it comes off then we'll have a far better attacking threat from set pieces, and more natural width in the team as well...and he can use this time playing well for us to get a decent move elsewhere to get his career back on track somewhat.

Like Mr Blues though, I can't say I don't have my doubts.... :unsure:

Ian was getting the tour of the new stadium on Monday and signed there and then. Gus is getting it right up the knickerwetting boo boys. Has to be the wind up of the year. :lol:

A very good signing and not a disimilar player to Franco so he will slot right in to the way we have been playing recently. A very, very good time to be a Saints fan. :)