Ian Harte Agrees to sign but changes mind!!!

It doesn't matter whether, it was his agent, Sky Sports, Radio Old Firm or Ian Harte's granny who announced he was signing. The club should not have gone public in ANY way until the deal was done.

Why?

Shouldn't they let their fans know what's going on? They didn't claim they have signed Harte, just that the player had agreed to sign.

Steven Thomson signed about a week after it was announced.

when i first heard about Harte possible signing on teletext it merely stated that we were interested in him and he would watch our cup game and then make a decision yet, a few hours later it had grown arms and legs and said that we had signed him. Maybe the press overhyped it before it was a done deal and maybe someone at the club got too excited and blabbed.

If Harte doesn't want to play for us then that's his problem

Why?

Shouldn't they let their fans know what's going on? They didn't claim they have signed Harte, just that the player had agreed to sign.

Steven Thomson signed about a week after it was announced.

C'mon big guy. They tell the world that he's agreed to sign. How are the vast majority of punters going to take that?

The reason why is as blatant as hell. To prevent situations like this!

No, we had not signed anyone and they didn't claim they had.

The club isn't at fault here, the prick that went back on his word is the one who should be getting the abuse.

Totally disagree David , you don't announce a signing on your OS if there is the slightest chance of it falling through !

C'mon big guy. They tell the world that he's agreed to sign. How are the vast majority of punters going to take that?

The reason why is as blatant as hell. To prevent situations like this!

I really don't see the problem with the club saying what they did several hours after it was on Sky Sports.

Fuxake, the player had agreed to sign and made arrangements to start training today.

The guy is a low life, better off finding out what type of character he is now.

Totally disagree David , you don't announce a signing on your OS if there is the slightest chance of it falling through !

Totally disagree Billy, the club had a responsibilty to issue a statement to the fans in response.

It wasn't a rumour of a player being linked to us which happens all the time, the club rightly do not respond to this sort of thing but when Sky Sports report that a high profile player such as Ian Harte has agreed to sign with the club I think they have no choice but to respond to it.

I really don't see the problem with the club saying what they did several hours after it was on Sky Sports.

Fuxake, the player had agreed to sign and made arrangements to start training today.

There have been several examples in the past eg Wyness , who we all knew was signing but it wasn't officially announced until the loose ends were tied up. If the club had announced that we were in talks with the player , then that would have been a different matter , but to state that he was signing was totally wrong ! :(

I agree. He is a complete tossbag and is the real culprit in all of this, but, whether he had agreed to sign or not, it should not have been made public unless he had physically signed a contract.

There are many, many reasons why this should be the case, not least, so we don't look like a shower of amateurish eejits when the said tossbag decides to change his mind.

Totally disagree Billy, the club had a responsibilty to issue a statement to the fans in response.

It wasn't a rumour of a player being linked to us which happens all the time, the club rightly do not respond to this sort of thing but when Sky Sports report that a high profile player such as Ian Harte has agreed to sign with the club I think they have no choice but to respond to it.

So just because Sky Sports say it's true means it's not a rumour? Fuxake, I know they're hardly in the same league as Radio Clyde in the bawbaggery stakes, but it's still the media, therefore not to be trusted.

The only people the club have a responsibility to tell about things like this are share holders, and even that isn't strictly necessary. They could have easily held off for a day before making an official announcemen.

What about this article then with direct quotes from the manager ? :blink:

GUS MacPherson, the St Mirren manager, last night expressed his delight at signing former Leeds United and Republic of Ireland defender Ian Harte.

Harte has joined the Paisley club until the end of the season. The 31-year-old left-back was available for free outside the transfer window after leaving Blackpool earlier this month. He has played 64 times for the Republic of Ireland but has not been capped for two years.

"I think getting Ian Harte in here to St Mirren is a really good move for us," said MacPherson. "It was no secret that towards the end of the transfer window we were looking to bring in a left-sided defender. I had recently seen Ian playing for Blackpool, so when we got a phone call to say he was available, we knew that he fitted into just exactly what we were looking for.

"Ian is a defender of great experience and is still only 31 years of age and that is backed up when you look at his career stats and pedigree – he is a very good signing for the club."

"a very good signing for the club" , I would say that that sounds like the club thought he was our player , no?

not sure why some are making a big deal about this.

If a player agrees to sign for your club...and the club announce that the player has agreed to sign...then said player decides not to sign (after saying he will) when the pen is put in his hand - then it makes the player look stupid ...not the club.

Get a grip for fk sake ...some of you are like a bunch of greetin faced wee wimmin from the cotton mills.

Oooohhh i'm so embarrased ....don't think I can go into the pub tonite ...will be soooo mortified !

at least we didn't go down the road of strip wearing etc ala Mo Johnston

The club have made a bit of a PR mistake by announcing it before the deal was signed.

But, ultimately, it wouldn't have made a big difference. Even if he had signed the deal, he could still have come in the next day and said it was a mistake and he didn't want to play for us. What we would have done? Held him to the contract and paid thousands of pounds a week to a disinterested player? We would have agreed to rip up the contract, same end result, just a little bit less egg on our face.