External Hard Drives

Tennant's Lager

Needing one of the above for a filestore & backup facilty. Thinking that a 500GB or 1TB one would do the trick, with some future-proofing in mind for when I get a new machine later this year.

Any folk with experience of using them able to say what makes are good/bad? There's a couple of Western Digital ones that have caught my eye but don't know much about them.

Any help would be much obliged. Cheers folks.

I'll have a wee look at these, our external hard drive packed in just after christmas, getting the infamous "click of death"!

We lost over 250GB of stuff, including many, many photos that can't be replaced!

My advice to you; get a big pen drive to use for everyday stuff and use the external drive as little as possible!!

While I am here, can anybody recommend any place for data recovery??

Ended up going with my first thought - a 1 TB Western Digital one. Heard from someone I know that filled a 500GB drive in 2 months that they're good. Thus far, pretty impressed with it. Easy to set up (basically plug & play with the option of using some trial backup software, which I don't realy need) and while it's formatted to Fat32, I ain't going to be storing any files of a size to make that a problem...besides, the option remains to reformat it at a later date if I should really want to.

Whle I've only had it a couple of days...thus far I'd defo recommend it. :)