V. Media Digital Cable

Tennant's Lager

Ok, so we got a letter from V. Media saying that Sky Sports is gonnae be punted off the analogue service (that we're still on) and to get it we'll need to go digital at the end of the month. <_<

The reason why we haven't made the switch already, is because doing so is gonae create an issue wi the number of TVs we've got. Basically atm we've got a single analogue box in the living room, and using coax cables we're able to distribute the signal out to 3 other TVs as well.

Thing is, the analogue service punts out the frequencies of the 5 terrestrial channels as well as whatever the box is set to (like SS1 for example), so with how we've wired it on any of the 4 TVs you can watch whatever terrestrial channel you want, or whatever the box is set to. We've used that to get around this area having a pish poor aerial reception due to sightlines.

If we go digital though, we'll lose that scenario, short of getting 4 boxes (which isn't gonnae happen for obvious reasons). We might be able to get 2 though, which would be a compromise with having two pairs of TVs able to watch the same thing. We can do that with coax throughout again but the amount of signal loss from splitting it is a pain in the tits.

So basically the question I've got is this - to anyone with it...

Are you able to connect a V+ box or set top box (thinking of getting one of each) to one TV using a scart cable, and to another TV with a coax cable and watch the same channel at the same time? Just need to make sure that the scart doesn't cancel the coax output as if it did, then it becomes a choice of what TV you watch, defeating the point of the exercise.

I'm guessing it will be fine but do want to make sure before doing anything obviously. Have called tech support and been in the shop etc etc to find out but think because the scenario is so rare, they don't have a scooby - it's a different story every time so need to hear first hand from someone who knows from experience what you can/can't do. Plus of course, it's V. Media we're talking about - who's customer support are legendarily shite. :rolleyes:

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers. :)

The v+ box only cancels the coax output when its set to 1080i and used with a hdmi lead to an hd ready tv(which is the best pic quality by far)

If your not too fussed you could take the coak output and feed that to a booster/splitter and that would giv every tv the same channelfrom the box.

Wireleess av senders are usually pretty irratic in old solid houses so i wouldnt waste any cash on them!

Now that tv aerial reception is digital alot of poor analogue reception areas can recieve freeview with the help of quality digital aerials and masthead amps,

If you want to pm me il give you a free site survey :wink:

The v+ box only cancels the coax output when its set to 1080i and used with a hdmi lead to an hd ready tv(which is the best pic quality by far)

If your not too fussed you could take the coak output and feed that to a booster/splitter and that would giv every tv the same channelfrom the box.

Wireleess av senders are usually pretty irratic in old solid houses so i wouldnt waste any cash on them!

Now that tv aerial reception is digital alot of poor analogue reception areas can recieve freeview with the help of quality digital aerials and masthead amps,

If you want to pm me il give you a free site survey :wink:

Hmm, that's interesting about the HDMI. I was thinking of connecting one via that (though just the normal set top box - the TV the V+ would use doesn't have HDMI ports, just Scarts). Would that be any different? Can make do with Scart if not but the TV that'd use the digital set top box has two spare HDMIs sitting unused, and all the Scarts are used up already. :rolleyes:

I wasn't going to bother with wireless senders though - simple reason - both the TVs that'd get the shared connection via coax only have RF inputs. (Ok so they're old but they're reliable - one is older than me and still works perfectly!) Just thought of the example more than anything.

Anyhow was on the cable forums site and a dude on there said the Scart/coax combo will be fine...assuming I can get one of the older Scientific-Atlanta V+ boxes instead of a Samsung one, otherwise I'm sunk as the latter doesn't even have an RF socket! <_<

Cheers for the offer of the site survey though. I may take that up at some point. :) As far as freeview goes my guess is the signal being digital would help a bit as compared to the previous experience with analogue, but given the obstructions here it wouldn't be perfect...plus it'd probably need a full new aerial install and you'd need a head for heights doing that on this house! :ph34r: Basically the cable makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Hmm, that's interesting about the HDMI. I was thinking of connecting one via that (though just the normal set top box - the TV the V+ would use doesn't have HDMI ports, just Scarts). Would that be any different? Can make do with Scart if not but the TV that'd use the digital set top box has two spare HDMIs sitting unused, and all the Scarts are used up already. :rolleyes:

I wasn't going to bother with wireless senders though - simple reason - both the TVs that'd get the shared connection via coax only have RF inputs. (Ok so they're old but they're reliable - one is older than me and still wanks perfectly!) Just thought of the example more than anything.

Anyhow was on the cable forums site and a dude on there said the Scart/coax combo will be fine...assuming I can get one of the older Scientific-Atlanta V+ boxes instead of a Samsung one, otherwise I'm sunk as the latter doesn't even have an RF socket! <_<

Cheers for the offer of the site survey though. I may take that up at some point. :) As far as freeview goes my guess is the signal being digital would help a bit as compared to the previous experience with analogue, but given the obstructions here it wouldn't be perfect...plus it'd probably need a full new aerial install and you'd need a head for heights doing that on this house! :ph34r: Basically the cable makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Goodness...................