Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

No need McGinn is not better than McGowan

I'm not quite sure how you can say that.

For a start, McGinn (younger than McGowan) was snapped up by a Championship side aged 20/21 (?) at a time McGowan was still kicking around Celtic's reserves or playing for the likes of Hamilton. McGinn also proved himself as a Championship-quality player before his serious injury as he was a first pick for Watford and was running their games in the way McGowan so often does for us. I'm not saying McGinn is better than McGowan, but his career path thus far would certainly suggest he is at least as good as him.

If we had the chance to take him on loan I'd bite their hand off, but barring either McLean or McGowan being injured long-term by January, I don't think it will happen. We have a far more pressing need to sort our defence than sign another midfielder.

Edited by Sunny Saint

I'm not quite sure how you can say that.

For a start, McGinn (younger than McGowan) was snapped up by a Championship side aged 20/21 (?) at a time McGowan was still kicking around Celtic's reserves or playing for the likes of Hamilton. McGinn also proved himself as a Championship-quality player before his serious injury as he was a first pick for Watford and was running their games in the way McGowan so often does for us. I'm not saying McGinn is better than McGowan, but his career path thus far would certainly suggest he is at least as good as him.

If we had the chance to take him on loan I'd bite their hand off, but barring either McLean or McGowan being injured long-term by January, I don't think it will happen. We have a far more pressing need to sort our defence than sign another midfielder.

Agree with the comments now in bold. The defence is quite a worry at the moment.

Guest somner9

Yes...We can become the same as the Baldwin family of acting.....................Would that be 3 Mcginns' or 4??...lost count1eye.gif

I heard the McGinn brothers were involved in a new Dr Who spin-off so i'd be surprised if they had the time to join up for us from january

Are the McGinn brothers not more likely to be on Who Do You Think You Are, than Doctor Who?

There's been so much ill-informed speculation and inaccurate debate about their parental parents of the male gender, that one would assume they'd like to put that to rest.

(Jeeze.... THAT was VERY contrived. :( )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is no way on earth we will get close to £750k for Mclean, £150k possibly and I'm sure the club would grab that sort of money to keep us ticking over. There is a huge hole in the middle of the park where we had wee Thomson and Shuggy who could scrap for the ball, at present all we have is Goodwin to win the ball - the rest of the midfield are all show ponies who do not know how to or want to tackle.

Considering we were talking administration not that long ago because of the Sevco situation, I find it hard to believe we knocked back any offer. I suspect there never was an offer just like there was never any real threat of administration.

Whilst I am happy to be disproved, the days of saints players commanding fee's above £250k are long gone.

Fed up with all of this 'we won't get anything because we're St Mirren' pish.

If Hamilton Accies can command £1.2m up front for James McCarthy (risen to well over £3m now) and even £400k for an out of contract James McArthur, then we can get something in that region for Kenny.

The ball is in our court with McLean, he has time left on his contract and there's no real need for us to sell him.

Midfielder lined to come in on loan in January, does this suggest that McLean and/or McGowan will move on?

Not necessarily a sign that anyone is leaving. It's what St Mirren do. We sign midfielders. Lots of em'. Left backs, commanding centre backs, a striker? No siree. Midfielders... More, I demand more.

Well I hope if players come in they are decent. I'd like centre backs that can defend as well as someone with a bit of dig in the midfield rather than some of the ghosts we have. Wouldn't mind some wingers that will take a man on and maybe cross a ball, but that's my wish list. It Will never happen though.