Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

I'm concerned that we are pinning our hopes on a new striker when our lack of results seem to me to be caused by our inability to create from midfield and our inability to protect our back four.

​For example, in our cup run last season and particularly the semi and final our midfield 5 set up:

​newton McGinn

​Teale. McGowan. Gonzales

now, in order to accommodate Harkins we are setting up:

​Teale. Newton. McGowan. McLean

Harkins

​This means dropping McGinn although he was our best performing midfielder pre-season, asking McGowan to play deep which has meant none of those short, quick diagonal passes that split defences before, and also offers (sorry Paul), no protection to the back four. It also encourages Harkins to float about which works occasionally in games but leaves gaping holes if we lose possession. Since we have almost the same personnel as before, substituting Goncalves with Harkins, can we please go back to the previous set up.

I would like to sign a backup striker, but moving to 4,4,2 with our current midfield could be disastrous as we'd be likely to line up with:

Teale. Newton. McGowan. Harkins

And I think we'd lose even more goals as there would be hardly any protection for the back four.

I don't want to see anyone sacked but realistically I reckon Danny has the QOS and Thistle games to keep his job, but I believe he has a better chance if he sorts out what he already has rather than relying on signing a saviour.

I'm concerned that we are pinning our hopes on a new striker when our lack of results seem to me to be caused by our inability to create from midfield and our inability to protect our back four.

​For example, in our cup run last season and particularly the semi and final our midfield 5 set up:

​newton McGinn

​Teale. McGowan. Gonzales

now, in order to accommodate Harkins we are setting up:

​Teale. Newton. McGowan. McLean

Harkins

​This means dropping McGinn although he was our best performing midfielder pre-season, asking McGowan to play deep which has meant none of those short, quick diagonal passes that split defences before, and also offers (sorry Paul), no protection to the back four. It also encourages Harkins to float about which works occasionally in games but leaves gaping holes if we lose possession. Since we have almost the same personnel as before, substituting Goncalves with Harkins, can we please go back to the previous set up.

I would like to sign a backup striker, but moving to 4,4,2 with our current midfield could be disastrous as we'd be likely to line up with:

Teale. Newton. McGowan. Harkins

And I think we'd lose even more goals as there would be hardly any protection for the back four.

I don't want to see anyone sacked but realistically I reckon Danny has the QOS and Thistle games to keep his job, but I believe he has a better chance if he sorts out what he already has rather than relying on signing a saviour.

I agree the problem is in midfield where we have been over run by Morton, Killie, Inverness and Ross County. Playing Mclean, Harkins, Teale and McGowan means were a bit light weight. While I applaud the ambition we're approaching crisis point (I'd rather we never got there) and the time is coming where we need to forget about the pretty stuff and grind out the results.

I'd say go 4-4-2 with a midfield of Teale ,Newton, McGregor and McGinn. That give us a bit of dig and up front I's play thompson with Reilly close up. In my opinion if we get Reilly close to thompson he will score. Harkins, Mclean, McGowan on the bench. All very talented players but they need to realise that the team comes first and if they are not doing it then they will have to sit it out.

I agree the problem is in midfield where we have been over run by Morton, Killie, Inverness and Ross County. Playing Mclean, Harkins, Teale and McGowan means were a bit light weight. While I applaud the ambition we're approaching crisis point (I'd rather we never got there) and the time is coming where we need to forget about the pretty stuff and grind out the results.

I'd say go 4-4-2 with a midfield of Teale ,Newton, McGregor and McGinn. That give us a bit of dig and up front I's play thompson with Reilly close up. In my opinion if we get Reilly close to thompson he will score. Harkins, Mclean, McGowan on the bench. All very talented players but they need to realise that the team comes first and if they are not doing it then they will have to sit it out.

What about McGregor at CH and Goodwin in midfield ,I would try McGowan or even Harkins with Thompson ,both could easily play off him . IMO .

I'd say go 4-4-2 with a midfield of Teale ,Newton, McGregor and McGinn. That give us a bit of dig and up front I's play thompson with Reilly close up. In my opinion if we get Reilly close to thompson he will score. Harkins, Mclean, McGowan on the bench. All very talented players but they need to realise that the team comes first and if they are not doing it then they will have to sit it out. [/quote have you had one too many ?

Players of this calibre may become easier for clubs like us to deal with the closer we get to the window closing.  Any of them would improve the squad imo.

Thsy are free agents so can sign outwith the window and that may keep their demands slightly higher than others