Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

That's the worrying thing, next years championship will be quite lucrative and I don't think the BOD are all that bothered if we go down.

Not really getting this line of thought, and I'm hearing it all the time from fans of different clubs.

Hibs cancel Hearts out, both them bring roughly the same fans, so we aren't better off.

The Green cheek cancel the Blue cheek out, both of them bring roughly the same fans, so we aren't better off.

Assuming Morton will be in the Championship (unlikely) Killie will cancel them out, as they bring roughly as many fans, so even if they do stay up we aren't better off.

The other 6 teams (Alloa, Cowdenbeath, QOTS, Livi etc etc) will bring a far lower average than your average top tier team. We will be far worse off if we get relegated. Next years second tier may be more lucrative than the Championship normally is, but it will still be far less lucrative than the top flight. And that's just gate money, never mind the drop in sponsorship, prize money and TV money.

It gets even worse as it will be an even harder league to get out of than normal, at best we will have the 3rd biggest budget in a league of 10.

If we drop down a league this season I can see us sliding into another 4/5 year spell down there, similar to the early part of this century.

Not really getting this line of thought, and I'm hearing it all the time from fans of different clubs.

Hibs cancel Hearts out, both them bring roughly the same fans, so we aren't better off.

The Green cheek cancel the Blue cheek out, both of them bring roughly the same fans, so we aren't better off.

Assuming Morton will be in the Championship (unlikely) Killie will cancel them out, as they bring roughly as many fans, so even if they do stay up we aren't better off.

The other 6 teams (Alloa, Cowdenbeath, QOTS, Livi etc etc) will bring a far lower average than your average top tier team. We will be far worse off if we get relegated. Next years second tier may be more lucrative than the Championship normally is, but it will still be far less lucrative than the top flight. And that's just gate money, never mind the drop in sponsorship, prize money and TV money.

It gets even worse as it will be an even harder league to get out of than normal, at best we will have the 3rd biggest budget in a league of 10.

If we drop down a league this season I can see us sliding into another 4/5 year spell down there, similar to the early part of this century.

I agree with you, but I think the BOD are taking the gamble we will win the play off, but if the worst happens and we go down we won't be that much worse off in the championship next season.

I agree with you, but I think the BOD are taking the gamble we will win the play off, but if the worst happens and we go down we won't be that much worse off in the championship next season.

I don't understand the BoD, I think they're badly letting us down at the moment. They're certainly letting us down if they are willing to gamble on us winning a play off to stay in the league. I said it on day 1 and I still believe it now, I think the team who finishes 11th will be relegated, whoever it is

The BoD are happy to go on the pitch to take plaudits and give tearful interviews when we won the cup - which I didn't think was appropriate at the time - but as soon as the going gets tough you don't hear a word from them.

Has Danny been told to cut the playing budget mid season? If so, why?

Harkins, Grainger and Mair would have been 3 of the top earners at the club. They're all away and who have we replaced them with? A couple of Aberdeen reserves and a teenager from Newcastle?

I know we would have spent money to rip up Mairs, Graingers and Barron's contract, but even still, our wage bill now is far lower than it was on Christmas Day. Just like our wage bill must have lowered from May till September.

What's going on? Is Danny's budget been eaten up by all the 'mutual consent' agreements or is his budget being cut? It's probably both, even still, its pretty concerning stuff, especially when you're being outspent by the teams around you.

Yes, John Moncur is 47.

But can he still play centre half ?

I remember John playing didn't realise this boy was his son but being from W Ham I should have figured it out.

Changing the subject, why are we delaying any possible signing of non contracted players. Are they players who might be in negotiations with other clubs that might (we hope) fall through or is Danny again struggling to assess whether a player is up to scratch. We need new faces now and this is not the time to be bringing players in on trial thus delaying further their recruitment. The flip side is he cannot afford to make yet another expensive mistake so his previous poor transfer dealings this season have backed him into a corner somewhat. A very difficult situation now but one entirely of our own making.

Think your only allowed 2 loan players from 1 club

Don't think so but I think you are only allowed 4 temporary transfer players registered at the one time, which we have?

Newton, Campbell, Bahoken and Magennis.

3 are international transfers though, may not count to the total. Feck knows.

Edited by davidg

I think it's safe to say there's literally no defence of our current transfer policy.

What is this "policy" you speak off?

Maybe you have insider information on what funds we have available and could enlighten us?

I see Arsenal missed out on some player from Shalke, maybe we could....................na, that would be daft.

What is this "policy" you speak off?

Maybe you have insider information on what funds we have available and could enlighten us?

I see Arsenal missed out on some player from Shalke, maybe we could....................na, that would be daft.

In fairness, I was just aiming for a a poor play on the word defence.

But money or not, we ought to have a strategy of some sort. This all just seems haphazard. And you can't put that down to lack of funds.

We don't play with wingers, but signed one. We only play one striker, but signed two extra ones. And we haven't managed to get shot of Bahoken, who, if he gets 90 minutes in total between now and the end of the season, I'd be very surprised.

We have a perma-banned DM, and no sensible cover for him. And now just two CHs.

If DL can make this work, then fair play to him. But I am having strong doubts about the wisdom of some of these moves. It feels like we do transfers like I play pool. Hit n hope.