Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Thomas is a pretty good prospect I think. He seems to have added finishing to his game and if he can keep fit he'll be a big player.

he is absolutley pish..one of the worst youngsters i have ever watched ay saints...people need to be realistic...this lad will never ever make it as a footballer...

The defence was horrendous for long spells last year. Cheesy had a good year when we won the cup but last year he wasn't great. I also think mcgregor who was a good ball winner couldn't read the game although I do concede he came onto a game from march onwards. I think Reilly is too lightweight and sadly he should go out on loan to a second division team as I doubt he would cope in the championship. Anyone who thinks we have a squad capable of competing is mad. We need several new players including a centre half and a striker

What about the time he came on and scored a vital goal against Motherwell?

Since then, he's had a bad injury and it's going to take a few more first team games until he gets back into the swing of things. To dismiss him as not good enough at this stage IS extremely harsh.

He got those injuries playing in the first team after coming on as sub.

He can't take a tackle and that's a problem when you have little pace

I'm sorry he should have been put on loan last season to see if he could handle it

But he went out on loan before at Dumbarton and was there a few weeks and came back injured

Don't get me wrong he's a decent player but unless he toughens up he's no use

He got those injuries playing in the first team after coming on as sub.

He can't take a tackle and that's a problem when you have little pace

I'm sorry he should have been put on loan last season to see if he could handle it

But he went out on loan before at Dumbarton and was there a few weeks and came back injured

Don't get me wrong he's a decent player but unless he toughens up he's no use

There's 'can't take a tackle' and there's 'good at drawing fouls'. It's a common misconception that you have to go out on loan & bulk up as a youngster to make an impact in the first team. Who were the best young players in the Premiership last season? Ryan Gauld, Chris Johnston & Peter Pawlett. These players are built just like Reilly and also go down in a heap when challenged.

Reilly has never played for Dumbarton, although he went out on loan to Albion Rovers when he was 17 and made 5 late sub appearances.

It's quite disappointing that our supporters are labelling him as 'no use' and 'not good enough' already. He's highly thought of at the club and at the Scotland youth setup.

he is absolutley pish..one of the worst youngsters i have ever watched ay saints...people need to be realistic...this lad will never ever make it as a footballer...

The fact he is still at the club speaks volumes of how the coaching staff rate him. U do not see him on a day to day basis in training to judge how good he is. If im being honest he has hardly been given enough game time to make an impact.

What about the time he came on and scored a vital goal against Motherwell?

Since then, he's had a bad injury and it's going to take a few more first team games until he gets back into the swing of things. To dismiss him as not good enough at this stage IS extremely harsh.

What about that 'vital' goal? That's his job FFS. He's scored 1 goal that's pish. Doesn't matter what angle you look at he's not good enough.

We obviously watch a different player... Anyone that thinks Thomas Reilly can do a job for us next season is deluded. He would struggle to hold down a regular starting place in league one.

We struggled with both

When you score as few as we did then you need to be stronger at the back

Well we had the 7th best defensive record in the country, not bad for a team who finished 8th.

Reilly looked a great prospect when he first broke into the side. I remember he played excellently in a game at Easter Road playing wide right. Then he was ' Shaun Hutchison'd ' at Fir Park, had a lengthy lay off and never came back the same player.

I watched him a few times for 20's last year and he struggled at that level. I would be astounded if he does enough in the next year to win a new contract, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Pish.

All top clubs in Europe have a defensive midfielder in place to protect their defence and some play with 2.....

Double pish.

They have to do that because they are up against better players.

Do you really think we should need five or six people defending against the lone striker that the majority of spfl premiership teams played last season?

We should have achieved so much more last season with that squad... but continually having to play players out of position to protect the defence cost us offensively.

Well we had the 7th best defensive record in the country, not bad for a team who finished 8th.

Reilly looked a great prospect when he first broke into the side. I remember he played excellently in a game at Easter Road playing wide right. Then he was ' Shaun Hutchison'd ' at Fir Park, had a lengthy lay off and never came back the same player.

I watched him a few times for 20's last year and he struggled at that level. I would be astounded if he does enough in the next year to win a new contract, but I hope he proves me wrong.

TC I watch in the U20's too.

Last year he was superb against Newcastle, He picked up a few knocks and seemed to go back wards. Towards the end of the season he started to come good and finished very strong in the U20's

If he can carry that form over and build on it then he will be a superb player. A young players development is not always a smooth path. The boy is still young and while McGinn and Mclean have made a bigger impact at earlier age, it does not mean that he won't come good. In terms of technique, I'd say he's one of the better players at the club.

I hope he does prove a few of us wrong as he's a good player but as you said i thought Brady and wee Scullion impressed more last season and they were released

They have stood by him but i stand by what i have said.

He picks up too many injuries

I hope he does prove a few of us wrong as he's a good player but as you said i thought Brady and wee Scullion impressed more last season and they were released

They have stood by him but i stand by what i have said.

He picks up too many injuries

Scullion is still with the U20's (and looking a bit porky get the weight of Jon!) . I'd agree that Brady looked good in parts. I expect he was offered the same deal as Scullion and thought he could do better elsewhere. Scullion I think could be as good as Gauld ans was delighted to see he's still with us.

One thing that has always irritated me about Reilly is the extent to which he buggers about during warm ups. It doesn't reflect well on his attitude towards breaking into the team. I wouldn't judge him on that basis alone, of course.

What I would say, however, is that he was woefully off the pace and generally clueless when he came on during the cup game at QotS. An off-day, perhaps, but it didn't suggest much in the way of grounds for optimism.

There's 'can't take a tackle' and there's 'good at drawing fouls'. It's a common misconception that you have to go out on loan & bulk up as a youngster to make an impact in the first team. Who were the best young players in the Premiership last season? Ryan Gauld, Chris Johnston & Peter Pawlett. These players are built just like Reilly and also go down in a heap when challenged.

Reilly has never played for Dumbarton, although he went out on loan to Albion Rovers when he was 17 and made 5 late sub appearances.

It's quite disappointing that our supporters are labelling him as 'no use' and 'not good enough' already. He's highly thought of at the club and at the Scotland youth setup.

His loan spell did Stevie May absolutely no harm!

Loan spell is especially important for young strikers to find the back of the net. Go out on loan, score 10-15 goals, and come back with confidence sky high. Or...sit on the bench, sometimes not even making the bench like Reilly.

He is too comfortable where he is in my opinion.

Scullion is still with the U20's (and looking a bit porky get the weight of Jon!) . I'd agree that Brady looked good in parts. I expect he was offered the same deal as Scullion and thought he could do better elsewhere. Scullion I think could be as good as Gauld ans was delighted to see he's still with us.

Is wee Jon still with us?

Agree with the weight issue but trips to Greggs with the rest of the youth squad doesn't do them favours

Don't get to see too many under 20 games. A small forward with blonde hair impressed me was easy to see he had a natural football brain. Anyone know who he is and is he still with us? The only problem I could see is his hight and build.

Might have been the lad Jack Smith? He left some time ago (if I've got his name right - son of a former pro?).