Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

I have to laugh at the hand-wringing over some of the players who people are citing as us having 'lost' since last season, and therefore needing to be replaced.

Bahookie, DD, Cornell, Harkins, Caprice....I could go on. We would have been better off without these guys never mind worrying now about their departure. Yes, we need cover, but I am confident that we would be better taking a chance on our own kids than these guys. Give me Declan Hughes over Djemba Djemba any day of the week, and I can't remember even seeing this lad play!

I reckon four more signings will do it, and think we will get at least three. Too early to panic, folks. When all is said and done, we aren't really worse off than we were at the end of last season. Sure, we would like to see improvement and to push on, but we also need to factor in a new(ish) coaching set up, and give them a chance to demonstrate what they can do.

Chill people, get out and enjoy the sun while you can, and be thankful for being a Buddie!

People also forget last year and the year before Danny would often say thats us done, we probably ended up signing 5 or 6 guys after that point last year.

There is zero benefit other than placating the fans by saying we are looking for guys.

People also forget last year and the year before Danny would often say thats us done, we probably ended up signing 5 or 6 guys after that point last year.

There is zero benefit other than placating the fans by saying we are looking for guys.

You hoping.

I notice the St.J chairman saying the media today, that they can't afford to pay players to sit on the bench in case they might need them.

Given we had expensive duds like Grainger, Harkins and Bahookie sitting on our bench last season, this will be the path we're most likely going down.

butt we havnt repalced jacke carprice yetttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

I'd rather we put players from the youth team in the squad, instead of signing wasters like Caprice, Bahoken & Grainger.

Edited by JM1

is there any breaking in to the first team squad this season ?

Well yes. 3 have been promoted from the academy and have been given first team contracts: Adam Brown, Declan Hughes and Mark Williams.

I'm happy with the state of the squad at the moment. I think we need 2 more signings, a right sided defender and a pacey forward player.

Caldwell and Mevlija (sp?) could be these two players.

Declan Hughes (DM) off the top of my head. I'm sure there was one other but the names escapes me. It's not exactly a squad full, but you wouldn't want more than one or two at a time.

I guess, really, by the time you ignore the departures of those who weren't playing anyway - Harkins, EDD, Caprice, Bahoken - we're actually not that light compared to last season.

Edit: cheers TC thumbup2.gif

Edited by Magic Monkey

Whatever way you look at things we're shy of a CH unless Jim Goodwin moves there and then we don't really have cover for his position as psychoholding-midfielder. Maybe Mo Yaqub has been earmarked for covering the CH role but I still think we need and expect us to sign another couple of players hopefully, but not necessarily, before the season starts.

Well yes. 3 have been promoted from the academy and have been given first team contracts: Adam Brown, Declan Hughes and Mark Williams.

I'm happy with the state of the squad at the moment. I think we need 2 more signings, a right sided defender and a pacey forward player.

That's great news

Whatever way you look at things we're shy of a CH unless Jim Goodwin moves there and then we don't really have cover for his position as psychoholding-midfielder. Maybe Mo Yaqub has been earmarked for covering the CH role but I still think we need and expect us to sign another couple of players hopefully, but not necessarily, before the season starts.

I'd prefer if we brought in another defender/defensive midfielder and allowed Goodwin to concentrate on his coaching.

There is no way Caldwell is good enough, he scored 1 goal in 9 games on loan for Alloa last season, I think in his entire career he has only scored 3 goals. The centre-back I don't know much about, apart from I looked at Livi stats when he played for them and they seemed to concede a lot of goals in his games. He also spent over a year out following a car accident, so his fitness may be a worry.

IMO we need at least another 5 players - centre half, cover at right back, right mid, centre mid cover and up front. Anything less and I think we may struggle if we get injuries and suspensions.

There is no way Caldwell is good enough, he scored 1 goal in 9 games on loan for Alloa last season, I think in his entire career he has only scored 3 goals. The centre-back I don't know much about, apart from I looked at Livi stats when he played for them and they seemed to concede a lot of goals in his games. He also spent over a year out following a car accident, so his fitness may be a worry.

IMO we need at least another 5 players - centre half, cover at right back, right mid, centre mid cover and up front. Anything less and I think we may struggle if we get injuries and suspensions.

Caldwell is 20 years old. How can you write anyone off at that age? If he offers some pace from the bench then that's good enough, it not it's not much too lose. Sure he won't be any worse than Caprice or the ilk.

The centre back has decent enough pedigree. Livi fans said he was a man mountain and would like him back. He's played for Maribor in the Champions League qualifiers and at u21 international level over there.

I'd be happy of we signed those 2 before the start of the season. That then gives us till the end of the window to identify areas of concern and and snap up a couple more loans to give the squad more padding.

I would say at least 4 players to come in

A right sided mid/def,centre half and 2 forwards.

Considering we got rid of our reserve forwards we need cover in this department as we struggled to score goals last season

butt we havnt repalced jacke carprice yetttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

I'd rather we put players from the youth team in the squad, instead of signing wasters like Caprice, Bahoken & Grainger.

i'm still waiting for a replacement for Jackie Copland and Bobby Reid!

The criticism of Reilly is justified. He's not been up to scratch. Young players aren't immune from criticism... Sometimes they're just not good enough ( or as good as expected to be ) and that happens.

Riley was poor last season, I wouldn't write him off as a failure though.

He could and perhaps will come good next season. Just like Caldwell.

Caldwell is 20 years old. How can you write anyone off at that age? If he offers some pace from the bench then that's good enough, it not it's not much too lose. Sure he won't be any worse than Caprice or the ilk.

The centre back has decent enough pedigree. Livi fans said he was a man mountain and would like him back. He's played for Maribor in the Champions League qualifiers and at u21 international level over there.

I'd be happy of we signed those 2 before the start of the season. That then gives us till the end of the window to identify areas of concern and and snap up a couple more loans to give the squad more padding.

If we sign Caldwell we will be the laughing stock of scottish football,pathetic doesnt do his abilities as a footballer justice.Centre back i havent seen so will reserve judgement ,but if T.C gives him a gig it will be a very sad day indeed

If we sign Caldwell we will be the laughing stock of scottish football,pathetic doesnt do his abilities as a footballer justice.Centre back i havent seen so will reserve judgement ,but if T.C gives him a gig it will be a very sad day indeed

Tell me how much you hate me via PM again.