Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

He sounds like a good prospect to me, Derby have as a good a youth set up as most of the EPL clubs, they wouldn't have spent so much time and money bringing him on if he was hopeless. They could have easily cut him loose at 17 but they must have seen something in him to nurture him for 12 years. He could be a player who makes a real difference for us.

Not seen the guy yet, but some of the best strikers St Mirren ever included Bone, Somner, Lavety & Yardley who would all be classed as big boned in todays standards.

If Hendrie deployed Yardley as his centre forward throughout SPL 00/01 then I reckon we would have stayed up.

As long as he knows the way to goal and can score then sometimes carrying a physical presence can be an advantage over centre halfs who are often big themselves.

Alec Bone one of Saints great strikers come on????????

Chris Porter, Michael Higdon, Billy McKay, Scott Vernon, Adam Rooney, Chris Killen, John Sutton, Jon Daly...there's many, many more. It's not exactly far fetched to think that a player who's relatively unknown in Scotland can come from the Football League with a fairly modest goal scoring record and make an impact in the SPL. It's not a sure thing, but it's certainly not a massive gamble. In my opinion he's exactly the type of player we should be looking at.

As long as he knows the way to goal and can score then sometimes carrying a physical presence can be an advantage over centre halfs who are often big themselves.

If we were planning on playing Tess at CB then someone like Ball could exploit that lack of physical presence and I am sure we could do the explloiting agsinst other teams with him and Thommo up front.

On the downside he could be as good as Magennis in the air.

22 year old, Cian Bolger, a 6ft 4inch centre back from Bolton is being looked at by Tommy Craig for the coming season according to the metro this morning. Anyone heard anything? Another interesting target.

I like the signings Tommy has made so far.

22 year old, Cian Bolger, a 6ft 4inch centre back from Bolton is being looked at by Tommy Craig for the coming season according to the metro this morning. Anyone heard anything? Another interesting target.

The Bristol Rovers fans seem to rate him - he had 3 loan spells at them.

They certainly rate him higher than Garry Kenneth, but I suppose that's not saying much.

Loan deal?

OK, I have a journo mate who covers Coventry. He had this to say about Callum Ball:

Bally?

Big strong lad. Decent finisher. Never really got much of a chance at Cov because Andy Thorn signed him and was sacked three games in.

Would probably need someone with a bit of pace around him.

I would definitely give him a one year deal. I thought he kept the ball well and he obviously knows where the back of the net is. As my mate says, he needs pace around him but we've got Marwood who has pace to burn. This would hugely ease the burden on Thommo, IMO.

Oh, also, I said Ball looked like he was carrying extra timber - my mate said he was just big boned... thumbup2.gif