Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Isn't it the case that you can only sign an out of contract player, outwith the transfer window, if they were released or their contract expired before the transfer window closed?

Absolutely , but maybe Top Cat and his selective memory knows different !

Absolutely , but maybe Top Cat and his selective memory knows different !

Selective memory?

I merely quoted my understanding of the rule. You're going to look really silly if you're wrong... Almost as silly as you did when you said we'd have less than 3k home fans on Saturday.

In any case I am surprised this Transfer Window scenario is not defined as illegal.In my opinion it is surely a clear infringement of one's right of work. Its high time the Players Union took this up with the European Courts.

I understand why it was introduced but like you I've always thought it breaks European employment rules. Why should football be a special case?

Selective memory?

I merely quoted my understanding of the rule. You're going to look really silly if you're wrong... Almost as silly as you did when you said we'd have less than 3k home fans on Saturday.

I might be wrong , but I would freely admit it as I don't give a monkey's !

You're the one who looks silly btw, with your backing of, clearly,the most clueless St Mirren manager in my lifetime !

In any case I am surprised this Transfer Window scenario is not defined as illegal.In my opinion it is surely a clear infringement of one's right of work. Its high time the Players Union took this up with the European Courts.

Definitely , it's a complete nonsense.

Used to be great in the old pre window and internet days when you turned up on any given Saturday during the season to find an exciting new signing in the starting line up , and no-one had prior knowledge.

The one I remember most was the ultimately unsuccessful signing of Morton captain Jimmy Lumsden . He wasn't our supporters favourite player for obvious reasons but when led us out unannounced v Clyde around Xmas '72 the comments ranged from , who's that ? WTF ? and of course "Is that that wee bastard Lumsden " ? huh.png

Definitely , it's a complete nonsense.

Used to be great in the old pre window and internet days when you turned up on any given Saturday during the season to find an exciting new signing in the starting line up , and no-one had prior knowledge.

Yeah those were the days when football club boards never kept the fans up to date with anything.... or was that yesterday?

I think I read somewhere that the UEFA financial fair play rules are being challenged.

Those rules actually help the rich clubs as it means that smaller clubs with a sugar daddy cannot compete.

I always liked Mehmet, his scoring record wasn't brilliant, but I can guarantee none of the SPL centre backs would look forward to playing against him. Always a handful, very intelligent and capable of something special now and then. He's a very good all round footballer, and, I always said when he was with us, if he was a better finished he'd have never been playing with us in the first place. In short...If we get the chance to sign him, we should jump at it...

I always liked Mehmet, his scoring record wasn't brilliant, but I can guarantee none of the SPL centre backs would look forward to playing against him. Always a handful, very intelligent and capable of something special now and then. He's a very good all round footballer, and, I always said when he was with us, if he was a better finished he'd have never been playing with us in the first place. In short...If we get the chance to sign him, we should jump at it...

Aye.

But don't ask Callum Ball to do the jumping....