Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Well not exactly. We have played less games than both Motherwell and County. Even if they both keep clean sheets in the three games they have combined in hand over us (very unlikely) we'd still have a better defensive record than both! The statistical gap between our defence and theirs is obviously likely to widen when they have played their games in hand.

Last season we had the seventh best defensive record in a league of twelve. One of the worst?

It doesn't really matter whether we have a better or worse defence than County or Motherwell. They have both been on the end of some hammerings in recent weeks - clearly their defences are terrible. What matters is whether our defence is good enough, or needs strengthened. You are the only person on the forum who seems to believe strengthening the defence is not a priority. We keep shipping bad goals and for as long as we do that, we will draw games we should win - like United at home - and lose games in which we should be able to grind out a draw.

We could quite easily finish below County and Motherwell, having conceded less goals than them and having a better goal difference.

It doesn't really matter whether we have a better or worse defence than County or Motherwell. They have both been on the end of some hammerings in recent weeks - clearly their defences are terrible. What matters is whether our defence is good enough, or needs strengthened. You are the only person on the forum who seems to believe strengthening the defence is not a priority. We keep shipping bad goals and for as long as we do that, we will draw games we should win - like United at home - and lose games in which we should be able to grind out a draw.

We could quite easily finish below County and Motherwell, having conceded less goals than them and having a better goal difference.

I liked when I meant to quote......

"attack is the best form of defence "

Think our problem has been not scoring goals. It's goals that win games.

I liked when I meant to quote......

"attack is the best form of defence "

Think our problem has been not scoring goals. It's goals that win games.

I think our problem is that we have a very poor defence, no attack to speak of without Thompson, and neither keeper inspires confidence. Our midfield is our one area of strength on paper, but they don't seem able to shield the defence or create terribly many chances.

In short, we look like a team that should have been relegated by Christmas. We are fortunate that Motherwell and Ross County are so abject that not only are we still in touch, we are actually above them both!

I think our problem is that we have a very poor defence, no attack to speak of without Thompson, and neither keeper inspires confidence. Our midfield is our one area of strength on paper, but they don't seem able to shield the defence or create terribly many chances.

In short, we look like a team that should have been relegated by Christmas. We are fortunate that Motherwell and Ross County are so abject that not only are we still in touch, we are actually above them both!

is this not what gets churned out every season.."we are only safe because of others"....and yet we are still in the top league on our own merits...no matter WHAT way you look at it

Well it does matter, it matters quite a lot actually. They are the teams we are up against to avoid relegation. For example if the league finished tomorrow we would survive on goal difference, mainly due to our better defence. We have stayed up on goal difference before, lest we forget.

Ross County are 6 points behind us. Due to them having a worse goal difference it will likely take a 3 game swing of results for them to overtake us, if they had a better goal difference it would take 2 games. It's effectively an extra point. Surprised I'm having to explain how goal difference matters actually...? If you're in Manchester tomorrow have a chat with a City fan about how important goal difference can be.

Good point about us quite possibly finishing below them both with a better goal difference. Yes, that is quite correct, they could get more points than us. We could also finish above them with a worse goal difference, anything is possible in football!

As for the defence being a priority... I have said we could do with a Newton style player who can cover midfield and defence. However our current management team and the last two management team seems to agree with me that other areas of the team are a priority. Perhaps we're all wrong and you're right?

Edited by TopCat

is this not what gets churned out every season.."we are only safe because of others"....and yet we are still in the top league on our own merits...no matter WHAT way you look at it

Yes, yes it is. The ever familiar resting place of the boo boy:

' Aye, but we only stayed up because X and/or Y really shite!!! '

That X and Y have been about 10 different clubs since we got promoted. This year it's County and Motherwell. Anything to avoid giving our football club credit!

That X and Y have been about 10 different clubs since we got promoted. This year it's County and Motherwell. Anything to avoid giving our football club credit!

You think anyone at the club deserves credit ? lol.gif

After the horrendous second half of 2014 which was caused by some horrendous decisions by our BOD and their appointed manager ?

If Teale can keep us up he'll deserve any credit that comes his way , but that is miles off yet !

Yeah that's what league football is all about, ranking the teams, 1 12 in the case of the SPFL and the first aim for a diddy club like ourselves is to finish high enough to avoid relegation.

It'd be nice to do better but there's no point in the self-flagellation that so many posters seem to enjoy. ooolala-sign.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

Hahahaha

This was the very argument you used as a basis for wanting Lennon sacked.

Well it does matter, it matters quite a lot actually. They are the teams we are up against to avoid relegation. For example if the league finished tomorrow we would survive on goal difference, mainly due to our better defence. We have stayed up on goal difference before, lest we forget.

Ross County are 6 points behind us. Due to them having a worse goal difference it will likely take a 3 game swing of results for them to overtake us, if they had a better goal difference it would take 2 games. It's effectively an extra point. Surprised I'm having to explain how goal difference matters actually...? If you're in Manchester tomorrow have a chat with a City fan about how important goal difference can be.

Good point about us quite possibly finishing below them both with a better goal difference. Yes, that is quite correct, they could get more points than us. We could also finish above them with a worse goal difference, anything is possible in football!

As for the defence being a priority... I have said we could do with a Newton style player who can cover midfield and defence. However our current management team and the last two management team seems to agree with me that other areas of the team are a priority. Perhaps we're all wrong and you're right?

Your post about goal difference seems to have little relevance to my post about the merits of our defence. Given that we had no recognized strikers - or at least none that could be selected given Thompson's injuries and the dross Craig signed - we have been playing with a midfielder up front on his own, so obviously signing a striker was even more of a priority than signing a defender.

However, I am undoubtedly right that this is by far the weakest St Mirren team since we got promoted, and whether our awful defence is marginally better than our awful attack is really neither here nor there! Both have to be strengthened.

Our points tally was ridiculously low up until the win at County and the couple of decent results since. It's still not great, but 11 points after 21 games or so? That would have had us bottom at that stage in each of the last four seasons, and no doubt most seasons before that. You are completely missing the point if you think this is some sort of "boo-boy" post - the point is that we are extremely lucky to be not only in touch with, but actually above two teams with the points tally we have.

Your post about goal difference seems to have little relevance to my post about the merits of our defence. Given that we had no recognized strikers - or at least none that could be selected given Thompson's injuries and the dross Craig signed - we have been playing with a midfielder up front on his own, so obviously signing a striker was even more of a priority than signing a defender.

However, I am undoubtedly right that this is by far the weakest St Mirren team since we got promoted, and whether our awful defence is marginally better than our awful attack is really neither here nor there! Both have to be strengthened.

Our points tally was ridiculously low up until the win at County and the couple of decent results since. It's still not great, but 11 points after 21 games or so? That would have had us bottom at that stage in each of the last four seasons, and no doubt most seasons before that. You are completely missing the point if you think this is some sort of "boo-boy" post - the point is that we are extremely lucky to be not only in touch with, but actually above two teams with the points tally we have.

Apples and oranges - there is no doubt our current points tally is disappointing especially given the weakness of the division this season. I agree that considering some of the performances we've seen so far this season it almost beggars belief that we're not already relegated but I'd say that's down to circumstances finally catching up with County & 'Well rather than luck.

Live in the now and embrace the magic carpet ride that is following St. Mirren!

Apples and oranges - there is no doubt our current points tally is disappointing especially given the weakness of the division this season. I agree that considering some of the performances we've seen so far this season it almost beggars belief that we're not already relegated but I'd say that's down to circumstances finally catching up with County & 'Well rather than luck.

Live in the now and embrace the magic carpet ride that is following St. Mirren!

I'm not sure I see the difference between circumstances at another club and luck - certainly it is through no doing of our own. I agree with everything else you say - it is exactly what I have been saying.

Would be very happy if we sign MAC. He has scored goals throughout his career and is only 31. Scored 20 goals out of 51 appearances over the last 2 years with Accies which is a great return ratio. And he is 6ft 3in. Considering just how weak the squad is MAC would be a welcome addition :)