Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Assuming Murray or Spalding will be at Broadwood today as there's a special game between two teams of out of contract players. Gary Miller, who was at St Johnstone, is one of them and might be worth a punt. Can play right back or centre-half.

Murray is on sportsound today so I assume Spalding will be there. Edited by ulysses

Murray is on sportsound today so I assume Spalding will be there.

Aye, I edited it when I realised he was on the radio - think he said on Sportsound Spalding was going.

Never know what you're going to get at these games. Will be a mix of experienced players you probably already knew about like Barrowman, Iain Davidson etc and young boys released by other clubs. No harm having a look - when we provided the opposition in one of these games under Coughlin we offered a trial to some guy called David van something or other as a result. Whatever happened to him?

I hope so

Talks of youngsters will have to step up to the mark and David Barron on trial

I'm starting to get a bad feeling like last summer

I agree. The players Murray really wants are seemingly out of our price range - and it must be safe to assume these are Championship level players because that's Murray's managerial speciality. He must have had a rough idea of our finances when he took tbe job so its a bit worrying that he hasn't landed more of his targets.There must be big question marks over the confidence levels of our youngsters after last season and who knows how fit Thommo, Jim Goodwin and Gow will be - plus none of the experienced guys looked capable of lifting the youngsters last season.We look very lightweight. If David Barron can walk back into contention then we are really lowering our sights. We need some genuine class like Carey, some pace up front and a no nonsense centre half to give us a bit of backbone. Still a bit of time but growing doubts about what our ambitions are for this campaign.

Danny Handling and Sam Stanton both free to leave Hibs. Earned long term contracts a while back and looked good but seem to have lost their way a bit. Both can play off a big front man. Maybe Ian Murray's Hibs credentials could persuade one of them to consider a season at the Saints.

Yes very strange

Deemed good enough to start games last season

Sort of thing most players probably want to keep quiet :P

Danny Handling and Sam Stanton both free to leave Hibs. Earned long term contracts a while back and looked good but seem to have lost their way a bit. Both can play off a big front man. Maybe Ian Murray's Hibs credentials could persuade one of them to consider a season at the Saints.

I noticed that earlier, did someone not mention a few weeks ago Murray was looking at the pair of them? Would be another couple of young guys, we desperately need experience if we're only going to get five or six more in, especially if two or three of them are Celtic kids.

I agree. The players Murray really wants are seemingly out of our price range - and it must be safe to assume these are Championship level players because that's Murray's managerial speciality. He must have had a rough idea of our finances when he took tbe job so its a bit worrying that he hasn't landed more of his targets.There must be big question marks over the confidence levels of our youngsters after last season and who knows how fit Thommo, Jim Goodwin and Gow will be - plus none of the experienced guys looked capable of lifting the youngsters last season.We look very lightweight. If David Barron can walk back into contention then we are really lowering our sights. We need some genuine class like Carey, some pace up front and a no nonsense centre half to give us a bit of backbone. Still a bit of time but growing doubts about what our ambitions are for this campaign.

The players out of our price range were possibly ex premier players who Mr Murray thought might move down a division, eg. Clarkson and Carey as opposed to first division players who he may have targeted at Dumbarton. That's my initial assumption.

I am looking forward to our more experienced players like Thommo, Goodwin and Gow all buying into the philosophy of the new manager and assistant and in turn influencing the young rising stars of the future. We've seen this previously with experienced league winners such as Tommy Turner, Kevin McGowne and Andy Millen for example. If we can get them playing at their best alongside players such as Naismith, Kelly and Mallan then we have a decent foundation for a title winning team.

The players out of our price range were possibly ex premier players who Mr Murray thought might move down a division, eg. Clarkson and Carey as opposed to first division players who he may have targeted at Dumbarton. That's my initial assumption.

I am looking forward to our more experienced players like Thommo, Goodwin and Gow all buying into the philosophy of the new manager and assistant and in turn influencing the young rising stars of the future. We've seen this previously with experienced league winners such as Tommy Turner, Kevin McGowne and Andy Millen for example. If we can get them playing at their best alongside players such as Naismith, Kelly and Mallan then we have a decent foundation for a title winning team.

I don't think they were ex premier players

I got told they were targeting Championship players as that what market we are now in

So much for the clear out 1 new face in Agnew.

We still need decent experienced players to come in especially centre half to compete in this league