Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

ok, comparisons with superstars isn't great

guys like billy mckay and john daly didn't score many goals in England at lower levels but were able to score in the top flight in scotland

we probably wont sign thus guy... All I'm saying is that his goalscoring record so far shouldn't be dismissed.

if he had a decent scoring record then he wouldn't be on trial with st. Mirren!

McKay had scored 14 goals in 76 games before ICT. He joined them when he was 22.

13 of those were for Northampton Town, where he had played 74 of his games.

Not exactly prolific.

As you say, this is the type of player that we're probably going to be linked with, who might come good or might not.

I also thought it was the boy from Spurs. The stories I found online suggest he was getting released as he was working his way round various English Championship clubs on trial in a bid to get a new deal.

Aye.

I read those too and got a wee bit excited! :)

And why would he no' come to Paisley?

This could be good. Great training facility. Compact stadium. Passionate, forgiving fans...

I'll stop there. :unsure:

Turner was 2000 promotion captain he wasn't in the last promotion team. DVZ, Lappin and Broadfoot, Mehmet and Charlie Adam, Sutton, Chris Smith were all about 19-23 and either unproven or had failed at bigger clubs. We didn't know what sort of careers they were going to go on and have.

Pretty sure Sutton and Charlie came in on the final day of the transfer window also which is two months away. That was a stroke of genius (luck, for the haters) by Gus and will be difficult to replicate so let's just get two quality players in now! Fast striker and tall defender would be nice. I think Goodwin will be our experienced defender.

Edited by Gloryhunter

So because this kid hasn't scored any goals it's ok, sign him anyway? lol.gif:

He's not exactly young either, he's going to be 23 in a couple of months. By the time Alan Shearer was 23 he'd already signed for Blackburn and scored 30 odd goals in a Premier League season.... Not the best of comparisons.

So not Alan Shearer then1eye.gif

Hearing we've made enquiries about Joe Cardle.

Winger who can play either side and who was released by Ross County at the end of last season. Was excellent for Dunfermline the year they won the Championship.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Cardle

Don't really remember him being anything other than bang average. I'd take him as a squad player.

Average championship player, would rather have Lewis Morgan starting than him.

Yup, would rather see young guys like Morgan and McLear get a shot than folk like Cardle (or Gow for that matter).