Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

The thing about Goodwillie is he has had plenty of second chances and not taken any of them. There is no doubt the lad has talent but has been awful for a long time now and even at Utd, he couldn't have looked less interested.

His career is on a huge downward trajectory and has been for a few years now. Shame because there was talent there. Reckon he'll have a shout of going back to Tannadice.

Would take Sutton in an instant. Scored 13 goals the season before last for a crap Motherwell (admittedly four were against us). Still only 32.

Lappin I'm not so sure about. Can put in a good cross which would be good if we get Sutton back but not sure if he would still be able to do it out wide - although it's some cover for leftback too. Could maybe play centrally but that would almost be it in terms of folk to play there considering who we already have signed up.

Still, it would wind shull up...

Lappin is pretty slow now, I wouldn't want him starting ahead of Morgan. Could be a good option off the bench though, or even at centre mid.

I would take Sutton.

He was never quick anyway

He could cross a ball though but unless we get a forward who is pretty decent in the air.He would be a waste of time

Now Clarkskon has been released by Motherwell I suspect there's a good chance he will sign for us? Wouldn't be a bad signing IMO, experienced and could be good foil for another shankland type player!

A certainty, plus another year for one of our out of contract players.

He was never quick anyway

He could cross a ball though but unless we get a forward who is pretty decent in the air.He would be a waste of time

Agree. If we resigned Shankland we would not need Lappin. Lappin crossed from deep areas to a big striker and that simply is not Shankland's style nor strength. With Sutton maybe but not with a striker like Shankland. Lappin's usefulness could be pretty limited.

It's always interesting to see who is quoted to re-join us, even if they had been with us a short while, were successful (to a degree), or not as the case may be, and how long ago.

I've never been a great fan of re-tracing your steps, there are plenty of players out there who are younger, hungrier and perhaps more committed to trying to improve themselves rather than taking the final last buck before they retire into the sunset......................

It's always interesting to see who is quoted to re-join us, even if they had been with us a short while, were successful (to a degree), or not as the case may be, and how long ago.

I often wonder if fans of other clubs are this obsessed with ex-players, or if it's just a Saints thing. When you look at how many players have actually come back to us in the past 20 years or so, it really is relatively few.

Off the top of my head... Junior, Basher, Ricky Gillies, Cheesy, Carey and Gowser after initial loan spells... there may be others, but either way, that is a tiny fraction compared to the number of ex-players that we're linked with.

Off the top of my head... Junior, Basher, Ricky Gillies, Cheesy, Carey and Gowser after initial loan spells... there may be others, but either way, that is a tiny fraction compared to the number of ex-players that we're linked with.

McAvennie,Fitzy,Iain Munro,DVZ,Jim Blair,Tommy Bryceland to name a few more.

Don't remember McAvennie coming back to us.

Do remember Frank McGarvey and Peter Weir.

McAvennie played a handful of games and then quit as one of the tabloids was about to release a story about his 'treasure hunting' business. He said at the time he didn't want the clubs name dragged through the mud because of the story.

Dunno if anyone listen's to Graham Hunter's Big Interview podcasts but McAvennie was on it a couple of months back. It was mainly about his time at West Ham (which was a relief as when I saw the headline I thought it was about Hearts' bottle job) but it begins with stuff about the start of his career and how the move from Saints came about. Think he was initially meant to go to another club but opted for West Ham - Saints had to keep it quiet as the other club had paid for the flights and they were worried they might not be able to use the return ticket :lol:

Worth a listen, even if Graham Hunter is a bit full of himself: http://grahamhunter.tv/the-race-for-the-title-1986/

Magic Monkey, on 17 May 2016 - 10:43, said:

snapback.png

McAvennie,Fitzy,Iain Munro,DVZ,Jim Blair,Tommy Bryceland to name a few more.

I can add Jim Clunie to that list.

McAvennie is the only player in UK football history to sign for 3 clubs twice. St. Mirren, Celtic, West Ham.

McAvennie is the only player in UK football history to sign for 3 clubs twice. St. Mirren, Celtic, West Ham.

That is an excellent factoid, if true. I salute you.