Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

The Sun saying we're interested in signing John Sutton.

Only 32 and still a goalscorer by all means.

Unfortunately he's only had 4 starts for St. Johnstone and not really a fit for their style. He'd give us a good 2 years and had an interview 2 years back where he states he still holds a soft spot for us as we saved his career at a point where it was going nowhere.

I'd be very happy to see him back in the stripes.

Only 32 and still a goalscorer by all means.

Unfortunately he's only had 4 starts for St. Johnstone and not really a fit for their style. He'd give us a good 2 years and had an interview 2 years back where he states he still holds a soft spot for us as we saved his career at a point where it was going nowhere.

I'd be very happy to see him back in the stripes.

Aye, and someone who could supply him with decent deliveries would be an added bonus....

Sutton & Clarkson would be a pretty old and immobile strikeforce.

Then again, Yardley & Laverty wasn't a very mobile combination either!

If we have a couple of decent wide players (Gallagher on the right and someone new on the left), then it would probably work with Clarkson playing in a deeper role.

I think Gallagher looked far more useful when he got a chance through the middle, I'd be more excited about the prospect of him doing the hard work, running off a guy like Sutton, with Clarkson as back up.

His pace and tenacity makes him useful enough as a winger, but he's not a natural wide player.

I think Gallagher looked far more useful when he got a chance through the middle, I'd be more excited about the prospect of him doing the hard work, running off a guy like Sutton, with Clarkson as back up.

His pace and tenacity makes him useful enough as a winger, but he's not a natural wide player.

Jimmy Nichol and Alex Rae (and me) would not agree with that. Nichol had Gallagher at Cowdenbeath and played him wide saying that Gallagher needed space to control the ball and run and people. He could be ineffective when tightly marked as a striker. Murray played him as a striker and he was poor. Rae moved him wide and he looks a far better player. We do need legs through the middle but I do not think Gallagher is the answer.

I thought when he was paired up front with shankland at home for one game and again through at alloa in december he looked more effective as you say

there must be a decent striker coming through our youth academy the last one I can remember that got a chance was Thomas riley we need younger players on longer deals.not 30+ strikers for a season.

I would say Barry Lavety

We have a poor record with forwards

Every single season the forwards are let go

there must be a decent striker coming through our youth academy the last one I can remember that got a chance was Thomas riley we need younger players on longer deals.not 30+ strikers for a season.

...would you have given Riley a longer deal since he is now a superstar with Elgin? Or waste money by giving untested players long term contracts?

All Clubs get only a handful of players that make it to the first team - I reckon we do better than many due to David Longwell's years of hard graft. So we have not had a striker in donkey's years but we signed Shankland on loan and he did the business. It would be nice to have a striker now and then but as long as the conveyor belt keeps producing we take what comes off it.

...would you have given Riley a longer deal since he is now a superstar with Elgin? Or waste money by giving untested players long term contracts?

All Clubs get only a handful of players that make it to the first team - I reckon we do better than many due to David Longwell's years of hard graft. So we have not had a striker in donkey's years but we signed Shankland on loan and he did the business. It would be nice to have a striker now and then but as long as the conveyor belt keeps producing we take what comes off it.

Still poor though

Attracting young forward players to the club

Going back to the last century to the last success

I would say Barry Lavety

We have a poor record with forwards

Every single season the forwards are let go

Steven McGarry but aye, we seem to be poor at producing forwards compared to other areas of the team. Guys like Reilly and McKenna come into the fringes of the team and look impressive in their wee bursts but then, for whatever reason, fall by the wayside. Then there are other players like Smith and Brady who appear from the bench a few times then vanish back to the reserves.

I reckon McGarry, Lavety, McKenna and Reilly are the only strikers to have come through the youth set-up to have scored for us this century, which is crap considering that's their main role. By comparison, three home grown defenders (Baird, Stewart and Kelly) scored for us just last season and it would probably have been four had Naismith not got injured.

To be fair, it's a position that most clubs of our stature struggle to develop.

Stevie May, who s hardly setting the heather on fire down south, is one of the few I can think of.

Even Muirhead from Killie, who seemed a decent prospect, seems to have lost his way since going to Dundee Utd.

Good strikers are like hens teeth. Those that show any promise at a young age are hoovered up by the big clubs, and if they don't make it there, fall out of the game completely. I also think that these silly little goals that the youngsters use are far too small - the big lad usually ends up in goal and there's hee-haw room for the ball to get through him. Bigger sets of sticks and encourage youngsters to place the ball away from the keeper. Dear God, when I played for the primary school team we played at the Racecourse on full size pitches. Rant over.

To be fair, it's a position that most clubs of our stature struggle to develop.

Stevie May, who s hardly setting the heather on fire down south, is one of the few I can think of.

Even Muirhead from Killie, who seemed a decent prospect, seems to have lost his way since going to Dundee Utd.

It would help if we had some kind of scouting system

Tie in with the local P&D boys club like we done before

Last week the wee man played in a schools select trials

All Renfrewshire schools sent their 3 best players from their school

Most forwards where pro youth with the old firm having 4 of them

All came from local boys club

But the forward that caught my eye is with Morton

Fecking Morton,fair enough the others bigotry can play a part

Picking scraps from Murray Park and Lennoxtown will get us midfielders and defenders as shown before

They don't let go their forwards so easy though,that's where big bucks could be made