Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

A lot of new faces is exciting and all that but have to wonder about up to ten new players gelling as a team especially since we have some make or break games inside the next month.

New goalkeeper is a major plus for me, I don't think any of us feel comfortable with either of the current keepers.

Full back area on both sides is an obvious area to address and we need something on left mid.

Losing Mallan will be a blow but if he's going to The Championship then good luck to him and hopefully we get decent money for the boy.

2 minutes ago, div said:

A lot of new faces is exciting and all that but have to wonder about up to ten new players gelling as a team especially since we have some make or break games inside the next month.

New goalkeeper is a major plus for me, I don't think any of us feel comfortable with either of the current keepers.

Full back area on both sides is an obvious area to address and we need something on left mid.

Losing Mallan will be a blow but if he's going to The Championship then good luck to him and hopefully we get decent money for the boy.

Last throw of the dice.

In a perfect world, and in addition to a new keeper, I'd want a right back (Watson?), a left back (Waters?), a left sided centre back, a pacey, goal scoring striker (we can hope!) and a tricky winger/striker as back up.

The defence has been a disaster this season and we've not added to that area yet. In comparison to every other team in the league, we lack pace and energy so we need fitter, younger players to compete.

Despite all the positive after match interviews, this scale of change highlights what JR really thinks about the squad he inherited. Naismith and Mallan are the only players that have gone/will go that he'd probably have wanted to keep. 

8 hours ago, paul torfason said:

is waters our saviour?is he any good?god help us if this one of our main signings,as a said a don't no him,but part time player is not exactly what I imagined to keep us up

Whether someone is currently part time or not is pretty irrelevent, just means they should only improve when switching to full time and getting more training and recovery time etc.

Edited by irvine_buddie

2 hours ago, div said:

Not disagreeing Div however for me only McAllister, Magennis and Morgan are auto first team picks (assuming Mallan is away). The rest make up the numbers. Replacing them surely cannot be any worse than where we find ourselves. That being said we have been playing pretty decent in a lot of games - mostly in midfield - but the whole defence and attack can be replaced as far as I am concerned.

3 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Not disagreeing Div however for me only McAllister, Magennis and Morgan are auto first team picks (assuming Mallan is away). The rest make up the numbers.

I'd probably include McKenzie based on recent form and his goal threat from set-pieces. Aside from that, it's hard to argue with your assessment.

Paperwork for the new goalkeeper should be completed today. He's joining on loan from a very big club.

Left back in for training today, hopeful of getting that concluded quickly too assuming all goes well.

Things beginning to move anyway!

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Heard a suggestion Jordan Stewart has a broken hand. Makes it even more urgent we get a leftback as I assumed he'd be playing on Saturday before he was loaned to Annan.

Surely a broken hand wouldn't stop you playing?

ETA - Forgot he's away on loan so it wouldn't matter anyway. Seems a weird choice to let him go if we knew Naismith was leaving.

Edited by irvine_buddie

48 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Surely a broken hand wouldn't stop you playing?

ETA - Forgot he's away on loan so it wouldn't matter anyway. Seems a weird choice to let him go if we knew Naismith was leaving.

It probably would for a few weeks until the doctors are happy enough to let you play with a cast. He isn't away on loan yet.

29 minutes ago, Edinbuddie said:

On Twitter, Div says it not him.

He also says he was involved in Champions League football. Quick look through the fixtures involving the English teams reveals two possibility - Gunn, who it seemingly isn't, or Ben Hamer from Leicester. The rest are either two old to come on loan or too ridiculous (Cech, Bravo etc). The "very big club" comment rules out it being someone from an Irish or Welsh club that was involved in the early stages and I can't see someone from Italy etc sending a goalie on loan to us!

Clubs do have B squad lists of players full of kids for the Champions League so it could be one from them, which means this would make sense:

12 minutes ago, ulysses said:

Billy O'Brien is the keeper I think, from Man City.

He's just followed the club on twitter.

Can't find much about although he was on loan at Hyde a few years ago - and all I know about Hyde is that's where Sam Tyler was from in Life on Mars. Has also played for Wales under-21s: http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/billy-obrien-reflects-upon-wales-u21s-life-man-city/

Bit about him (O'Brien, not Sam Tyler) at: http://mancitysquare.com/2016/09/27/manchester-city-billy-obrien-ucl-squad/ Hope he's better than the other Man City loanees we had. 

Anyway, while we wait, here's the latest rumour about McAllister: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/458501/st-mirren-knock-back-charlton-and-english-championship-bids-for-teen-sensation-kyle-mcallister/

Edited by Stu

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

He also says he was involved in Champions League football. Quick look through the fixtures involving the English teams reveals two possibility - Gunn, who it seemingly isn't, or Ben Hamer from Leicester. The rest are either two old to come on loan or too ridiculous (Cech, Bravo etc). The "very big club" comment rules out it being someone from an Irish or Welsh club that was involved in the early stages and I can't see someone from Italy etc sending a goalie on loan to us!

Clubs do have B squad lists of players full of kids for the Champions League so it could be one from them, which means this would make sense:

Can't find much about although he was on loan at Hyde a few years ago - and all I know about Hyde is that's where Sam Tyler was from in Life on Mars. Has also played for Wales under-21s: http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/billy-obrien-reflects-upon-wales-u21s-life-man-city/

Bit about him (O'Brien, not Sam Tyler) at: http://mancitysquare.com/2016/09/27/manchester-city-billy-obrien-ucl-squad/ Hope he's better than the other Man City loanees we had. 

Anyway, while we wait, here's the latest rumour about McAllister: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/458501/st-mirren-knock-back-charlton-and-english-championship-bids-for-teen-sensation-kyle-mcallister/

Could be a keeper from Ayr Utd if its a very big club .