Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

21 minutes ago, melmac said:

Morgan really gave the team balance, hopefully their will be someone ready to come through to take his place if he decides to move on.

Yep. Can't underestimate the importance of a player that really puts the opposition on the back foot. Gives the likes of Mallan room to operate.

5 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Yep. Can't underestimate the importance of a player that really puts the opposition on the back foot. Gives the likes of Mallan room to operate.

Is the lad Flannigan a winger?

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

Is the lad Flannigan a winger?

Looks like it, based on that Annan highlights video that was posted the other day.

Edit: my main issue with him, of course, would be that his name doesn't begin with the letter M.

Edited by Magic Monkey

Just now, Magic Monkey said:

Looks like it, based on that Annan highlights video that was posted the other day.

Cheers - might be an option, then (assuming Morgan leaves). I think I read that he'd (NF) been offered an extended deal.

If Morgan moves on, I would think we will use a portion of whatever fee we get to bring in a replacement. Difficult to keep bringing youngsters into the team and have them hit the ground running. Flanagan will no doubt be a bench option, with the opportunity to play his way into the team, but I'd be surprised if we started the season with him as a starter.

We need a goalscorer. A poacher. We've went far to long without an out and out goalscorer. Its great that we get goals from midfield and at set pieces, but to have a player who bags an extra 15/20 goals a season would really boost our promotion chances. 

SUtton wuold be a good backup to throw on with 20/30 mins to go and Rory Loy puts in a shift, but im not confident hes the man who should be our main striker should he resign

Edited by PaisleySaint17

1 hour ago, Magic Monkey said:

Edit: my main issue with him, of course, would be that his name doesn't begin with the letter M.

McFlanagan, problem solved, if by Magic.

Edited by pod

Of the Ayr lot I'd only take Devlin and Forrest, doubt we'd be able to get either of them though. I'd imagine Devlin would have suitors elsewhere, think Thistle offered him a deal last summer. Forrest came through the youth system so there'd be a fee involved there.

Mallan says he want to be challenging to win the league next year, so unless he's signing for Celtic, than I guess that suggests he might stay. He is under contract and would get some money for him at the end of next year if he moves on then. 

All that suggests that unless we get a big bid from down south he'll be here next year. The same is true for Morgan as well. They might go during the summer but they might not. I'd say it was fifty / fifty at the moment.  

And more importantly, I think both boys would be ok with sticking around with Jack for another year. Mallan in particular must see how Jack changed him from a player Burnly wouldn't take a punt on to a player that produced seven goals and seven assists in eight games. If he could keep anything like that form up next season it could even be the Premier league that comes knocking. . .    Or he could sit on the bench at Derby County. 

20 hours ago, melmac said:

I suspect Mallan will be away during the summer, Newton would be a great replacement and a perfect foyle for McGinn.

Newton is nothing like Mallan - no way would he be a replacement. We would struggle immensely to replace Mallan on our budget. Morgan might be the closest we have of being able to fill his boots.

16 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Newton is nothing like Mallan - no way would he be a replacement. We would struggle immensely to replace Mallan on our budget. Morgan might be the closest we have of being able to fill his boots.

I agree with that Ayrshire Saints.......that said i'd still take Newton back but see him more as a replacement for Quinn and would give us good options to playing different tactics across the midfield.

Just now, WeeBud said:

I agree with that Ayrshire Saints.......that said i'd still take Newton back but see him more as a replacement for Quinn and would give us good options to playing different tactics across the midfield.

Quinn will still be here - another year left...

Just now, WeeBud said:

I'm not suggesting anything else but he does spend massive amounts of time unavailable for selection.

You're spot on, he did have a very difficult year with injury last season. Hopefully he can have a clearer season next year. Not certain he's Jack's kind of player, but am sure we'll make use of him unless he is made available to go.

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

You're spot on, he did have a very difficult year with injury last season. Hopefully he can have a clearer season next year. Not certain he's Jack's kind of player, but am sure we'll make use of him unless he is made available to go.

I think you could make an argument for having a midfielder deeper than McGinn - might liberate him, slightly. Obviously he's come in and done a very good job as the platform for Mallan to do his thing, but I think he could move slightly further forward, with a suitable holding player behind him, effectively making McGinn the replacement for Mallan.

Just a thought.

2 hours ago, WeeBud said:

I'm not suggesting anything else but he does spend massive amounts of time unavailable for selection.

A bit harsh.  He got a bad one last season and came back too soon - to help the club when we were in trouble - and paid the price. 

6 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

A bit harsh.  He got a bad one last season and came back too soon - to help the club when we were in trouble - and paid the price. 

I'm not having a go at him in any way, shape or form, I like him as a player. In the last 4 seasons he has made only 50 appearances mostly down to injury problems.

22 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Love to get wee git Dobbie, and it would also stop the wee fud scoring against us....

Honestly believe Saints are an attraction right now with high stock

Think he signed a 3 year deal recently. Has a similar affiliation with QOTS as McGinn does with us. I doubt he would be going anywhere.