Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

14 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Well Magennis was a key to the end of last season too. If Magennis is replacing Mallan, who's replacing Magennis?

I think he'll stay on the right when he comes back in. McShane and McGinn through the middle, Smith playing off our new 20-goal, ball-winning, poor-man's-Harry-Kane striker.

Maybe.

I would, of course, take Mallan or Loy back in a heartbeat, but we are getting into rose-tinted specs territory.

As late as February this year Stevie's dad was on the forum discussing why his son wasn't performing and assuring us he would come good again. I remember him saying, as well, that the McGinn signing may well make a difference and, right enough, I think Stephen's got a lot to thank Stephen for! (and of course Jack Ross for signing him). Rory Loy, meanwhile, couldn't get a game at the bottom of the Premiership, looked disinterested for quite awhile with us and was getting a fair amount of stick on here. It took him until mid-March to become a regular in the starting 11. 

Essentially they both had a purple patch which lasted maybe a quarter to a third of the season right at the end. They were not Messi and Ronaldo and we can be successful without them.

6 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

I would, of course, take Mallan or Loy back in a heartbeat, but we are getting into rose-tinted specs territory.

As late as February this year Stevie's dad was on the forum discussing why his son wasn't performing and assuring us he would come good again. I remember him saying, as well, that the McGinn signing may well make a difference and, right enough, I think Stephen's got a lot to thank Stephen for! (and of course Jack Ross for signing him). Rory Loy, meanwhile, couldn't get a game at the bottom of the Premiership, looked disinterested for quite awhile with us and was getting a fair amount of stick on here. It took him until mid-March to become a regular in the starting 11. 

Essentially they both had a purple patch which lasted maybe a quarter to a third of the season right at the end. They were not Messi and Ronaldo and we can be successful without them.

You're spot on, of course.

For me, the issue is more about the positions being filled appropriately, as opposed to the calibre of the players per se. Mallan was a regular scorer from mid-field, and also weighed in with numerous assists. Add to that, his dead ball deliveries (think McKenzie headers from corners), and we have a lot to replace.

Loy was a good link player (eventually) He didn't bang in many goals, but he read the game very well, his movement off the ball was effective, and he drew fouls. Again, we are currently lacking those attributes, or so it would appear based on early outings.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Aye, he'd do too.

He appears to be registered with Bangor City, having left Tranmere in December, but I can't see that he's been involved in pre-season, and he's not listed on their website, so I assume he's away. Played with Ross at Falkirk and St Mirren.

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Well Magennis was a key to the end of last season too. If Magennis is replacing Mallan, who's replacing Magennis?

I would have thought Hilson (when fit) would play back on the right . I'd imagine Stelios could also deputise there. Kyle don every well played out of position last season, though i think he is our answer to a solid intelligent centre-mid.

1 minute ago, Magic Monkey said:

He appears to be registered with Bangor City, having left Tranmere in December, but I can't see that he's been involved in pre-season, and he's not listed on their website, so I assume he's away. Played with Ross at Falkirk and St Mirren.

If I'd to choose between him and Mehmet returning, I'd probably opt for Billy.

We have Sutton (well, we think we still do:huh:) as a target man type player. Mehmet was more of a linking forward player, not dissimilar to how I've described Loy. I still think that, in time, Reilly could be penalty box goal grabber, so that link is critical.

Maybe we can bring back Mehmet and Higdon. Oh, and what's Andy Dorman up to these days...? :ph34r:

35 minutes ago, Drew said:

Mallan was a regular scorer from mid-field, and also weighed in with numerous assists. Add to that, his dead ball deliveries (think McKenzie headers from corners), and we have a lot to replace.

When he was on his game..... We tend to remember all the great things he did, but for the first half of last season he was posted missing a lot of the time right in the heart of our team.

I don't think we'll find a player who'll be able to replicate certain things that Stevie can do. However, if someone like McShane can perform steadily, a 7/10 most games, knowing what we'll get from McGinn, we should win more games than we lose.

28 minutes ago, Drew said:

If I'd to choose between him and Mehmet returning, I'd probably opt for Billy.

We have Sutton (well, we think we still do:huh:) as a target man type player. Mehmet was more of a linking forward player, not dissimilar to how I've described Loy. I still think that, in time, Reilly could be penalty box goal grabber, so that link is critical.

Maybe we can bring back Mehmet and Higdon. Oh, and what's Andy Dorman up to these days...? :ph34r:

I always liked Billy but I think bringing him back now could tarnish the good image we have of him , since 2013 he has had one club a year. The 35yr old Dorman is now at FC Boston. .B)

11 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

I always liked Billy but I think bringing him back now could tarnish the good image we have of him , since 2013 he has had one club a year. The 35yr old Dorman is now at FC Boston. .B)

Aye, Billy's been a wandering minstrel, but he'd be coming home:)

Not a rumour but there's a striker, Genero Zeefuik, who was on loan at Hearts a couple of years ago, scored 12 in 15. Now a free agent. Dundee Utd and ICT were meant to be interested but Utd now have McDonald and ICT are skint.

Go get him Jack! Plus, his name is fantastic.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

Not a rumour but there's a striker, Genero Zeefuik, who was on loan at Hearts a couple of years ago, scored 12 in 15. Now a free agent. Dundee Utd and ICT were meant to be interested but Utd now have McDonald and ICT are skint.

Not as good as his brother Gert Zeefuik.

He was a Yardley type player looked as if he knew the way to goal but was pretty hefty