Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Been speaking to a few Morton fans one a good friend they all sing from the same book. Slow , not good at passing but can score. All said doubt he would make premiership grade. 

RE-SPECULATION ABOUT O'Ware - Until a few weeks ago Morton had the best defensive record in the Championship - so who then is their defensive star? (and surely O'Ware played his part?)

FURTHER SPECULATION on our Squad for next season : I think it is likely we will start next season with Davis, MacK and Baird plus 1 - it depends how much a priority JR makes of his 4th centre back. (i.e. is he looking for someone to be his new 1st choices or a back up probably along with Baird?)

I have no doubt that a really good striker would be the No.1 priority (Tall, strong and clinical) - presume we will retain Reilly and Mullen - But if Reilly goes I would be looking for another..

Then 2nd a goal scoring midfielder and 3rd a defensive midfielder...  (another creative one (good clinical passer) would be wise too)

After that a pair of Right backs and a left back.. (Smith was great over the season, but on a couple of occasions he was found wanting and played a major part in us losing 2 goals - not sure if we can get him back anyway without a fee).

Lastly a goal keeper to challenge or dislodge Samson

I make that 9 or 10 already...  makes me laugh at so many folk who think we need to sign 3 or 4 Premiership Quality players..

(Players like Davis, MacK, Baird and Samson and some others were among the best in the Championship - they could do a job in the Premiership BUT as always good management sorts out the bottlenecks and weaknesses in the Team/Business - so the weakest links need to be replaced with players who are superior... (fitter, stronger, technically more gifted etc..)

What we really need is strong competition for places and guys who can come in without weakening the team - that way we can ride through suspensions and injuries unless we are very unlucky - then emergency loans or youth players (if they are deemed good enough) can step up....

Someone might even start a thread for each of these positions... Ha-Ha

Even FURTHER SPECULATION - PS I still know a Proven Premiership striker who would love to lead our line next season... but he is on a very good contract, but not getting games

O we could do with him...possibly a loan...

Edited by Sweeper07
added in Green titles to help the dumb twat

7 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Until a few weeks ago Morton had the best defensive record in the Championship - so who then is their defensive star? (and surely O'Ware played his part?)

I think it is likely we will start next season with Davis, MacK and Baird plus 1 - it depends how much a priority JR makes of his 4th centre back. (i.e. is he looking for someone to be his new 1st choices or a back up probably along with Baird?)

I have no doubt that a really good striker would be the No.1 priority (Tall, strong and clinical) - presume we will retain Reilly and Mullen - But if Reilly goes I would be looking for another..

Then 2nd a goal scoring midfielder and 3rd a defensive midfielder...  (another creative one (good clinical passer) would be wise too)

After that a pair of Right backs and a left back.. (Smith was great over the season, but on a couple of occasions he was found wanting and played a major part in us losing 2 goals - not sure if we can get him back anyway without a fee).

I make that 9 or 10 already...  makes me laugh at so many folk who think we need to sign 3 or 4 Premiership Quality players..

(Players like Davis, MacK, Baird and Samson and some others were among the best in the Championship - they could do a job in the Premiership BUT as always good management sorts out the bottlenecks and weaknesses in the Team/Business - so the weakest links need to be replaced with players who are superior... (fitter, stronger, technically more gifted etc..)

What we really need is strong competition for places and guys who can come in without weakening the team - that way we can ride through suspensions and injuries unless we are very unlucky - then emergency loans or youth players (if they are deemed good enough) can step up....

PS I still know a Proven Premiership striker who would love to lead our line next season... but he is on a very good contract, but not getting games

Good post. 

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Correct heard at that time he was very good obviously very young then.  Edit just looked up on him midfield had a 4 day trial at Aberdeen.  

He is still under contract at Stranraer (3rd tier) throughout 2019 and would be one for the future...

We need guys who can improve us big time right now

22 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

He is still under contract at Stranraer (3rd tier) throughout 2019 and would be one for the future...

We need guys who can improve us big time right now

Yes it's experience we need up front and one or two other positions. On BAWA twitter read we would be surprised who would be let go . 

50 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Yes it's experience we need up front and one or two other positions. On BAWA twitter read we would be surprised who would be let go

Don't know why you are surprised that Sutton and Irvine will be away.. Both big earners who have not contributed much during the season : and neither fitted JR's way of playing

Irvine is a decent defender, but not so great going forward - he will do a job for another Championship team next season. Sutton will be lucky to get a Championship team but he might

Neither good enough for the Top league now

16 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Thomas O'Ware can f**k off.

This is even more embarrassing than the Jai Quitongo debate that broke out on here a while ago!

Just wait for the, er....debate that will take place if a certain PCA rumour I'm hearing is accurate<_<

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Don't know why you are surprised that Sutton and Irvine will be away.. Both big earners who have not contributed much during the season : and neither fitted JR's way of playing

Irvine is a decent defender, but not so great going forward - he will do a job for another Championship team next season. Sutton will be lucky to get a Championship team but he might

Neither good enough for the Top league now

I did not mention any names these ones you mention are obvious,  from the tweet I picked up surprise as regulars from the first team. Time will tell going to be an interesting closed season but a hard read on here at times. Getting the 12 o'clock ferry couple of beers on it,  arriving at Wemyss Bay into the station bar for the 20min wait for the train. The station bar is owned by a Saints fan so always a warm welcome. On the train change at Port Glasgow for the St James train wonder if Morton fans will be on it. Arrive at St James into the 1877 club something to eat and more beer. After the game into Paisley to party this it not speculation but fact. B)

I'd be surprised if Reilly is with us next year (I hope he stays) and can only presume Mullen was brought in as his replacement. Don't be surprised if Morgan ends up back with us for the season.  If Ryan Christie was unlikely to get into the Celtic first team,  I can't see Morgan being any different.

5 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

RE-SPECULATION ABOUT O'Ware - Until a few weeks ago Morton had the best defensive record in the Championship - so who then is their defensive star? (and surely O'Ware played his part?)

FURTHER SPECULATION on our Squad for next season : I think it is likely we will start next season with Davis, MacK and Baird plus 1 - it depends how much a priority JR makes of his 4th centre back. (i.e. is he looking for someone to be his new 1st choices or a back up probably along with Baird?)

Someone might even start a thread for each of these positions... Ha-Ha

Even FURTHER SPECULATION - PS I still know a Proven Premiership striker who would love to lead our line next season... but he is on a very good contract, but not getting games

Step away from the fecking crayons. :P

7 minutes ago, melmac said:

I'd be surprised if Reilly is with us next year (I hope he stays) and can only presume Mullen was brought in as his replacement. Don't be surprised if Morgan ends up back with us for the season.  If Ryan Christie was unlikely to get into the Celtic first team,  I can't see Morgan being any different.

I agree. 

4 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Sutton will be lucky to get a Championship team but he might

Don't see why Sutton wouldn't get into another Championship side. His main quality has always been to score goals, not things like pace or skill so (like Boyd) he can still have another year or two. A team in dire need of goals would be silly to turn him down (wage demands aside). Dumbarton spring to mind but obviously they have to contend with the playoffs first. Someone like Ayr if they come up could find him useful, or QOTS if Dobbie left. He scored a decent amount of goals 2 seasons ago then lost his place after Reilly's goal scoring form and the arrival of Mullen. I think he can still do it in the Championship.

38 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Don't see why Sutton wouldn't get into another Championship side. His main quality has always been to score goals, not things like pace or skill so (like Boyd) he can still have another year or two. A team in dire need of goals would be silly to turn him down (wage demands aside). Dumbarton spring to mind but obviously they have to contend with the playoffs first. Someone like Ayr if they come up could find him useful, or QOTS if Dobbie left. He scored a decent amount of goals 2 seasons ago then lost his place after Reilly's goal scoring form and the arrival of Mullen. I think he can still do it in the Championship.

He has played in 20 games this season and scored 2 goals... (only 1 in the Championship, the other in the diddy cup) not the stuff of dreams...

He is a good trier, and was a much better player a few years ago... but it has caught up with him... he is slow, not great at control, not brilliant at being in the right place etc..

Only my opinion... but let's wait and see what offers he gets?

20 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

He has played in 20 games this season and scored 2 goals... (only 1 in the Championship, the other in the diddy cup) not the stuff of dreams...

He is a good trier, and was a much better player a few years ago... but it has caught up with him... he is slow, not great at control, not brilliant at being in the right place etc..

Only my opinion... but let's wait and see what offers he gets?

He looked done at St Johnstone when he was only getting sub appearances then hit the mark with us. Considering just about all his appearances are sub ones quoting 2 goals in 20 is a bit unfair. I think if he gets regular starts he can still bag 10 goals for someone in this league. As you say, we shall see what offer he gets...

He's ex Raith isn't he? He returned to Motherwell, returned to Saints...next stop Kirkcaldy!

4 minutes ago, David Mc said:

7 to 9 players needed to come in according to JR on BBC site tonight with emphasis on physicality. And another first team coach.

Wonder if the coach might be Donati.

Pleased to hear he wants more physicality. Remember when we had managers with massive blind spots to the gaps in the squad? Massively frustrating. You just get the sense Jack sees the game exactly as you'd hope he would.