Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, northstbuddie said:

What plonker threw this together?

My gran could do better and she died in 1973?

Do we have a scouting system in Bulgaria and Sweden?

On 19/04/2018 at 3:06 PM, northstbuddie said:

This is like the sort of squad you end up with after entering your 5th season on Football Manager.

In a bizarre coincidence I signed Massimo Donati on FM09 in my third season :lol:

4 hours ago, RossCSmfc said:

What chance does he have when you’re comparing him with a left back and his goal scoring record as a defender?

I like Paul as a player and think he’d be a worthwhile signing.

First comparing a left back to a right back is hardly inappropriate - it is the same role on the other side of the pitch. 

Second, I pointed out his scoring record to say that he is not going to contribute much there - which is not necessarily terrible - but there are full backs who can contribute to the goals tally as well and surely that is an asset? (Smith got 2 from RB this season, I think Eckers scored 2 as well, even Stelios got 1 or 2 with a lot fewer games - whereas Paul got 2 in 5 seasons).

IT looks like he is surplus to requirements at Thistle, and is not currently in the 1st 11 there;  and with us having only 1 full back signed for next season, he could take up a 3rd or 4th choice position in my opinion. BUT surely we want guys who are even better than Eckers and Paul or at least with sufficient potential that after Eckers is 34 our new guy gets in the 1st team? Signing Paul leaves 2 more spaces at FB. Not signing Paul is no big deal as far as I am concerned- there are really good FB's out there within our Budget..

2 hours ago, David Mc said:

Looks to have a been a regular at Thistle until mid-Feb.  Not sure if he got injured? 

Aside from that 6 foot tall so meets the not a shortarse criterion :D

He was deputising for the injured Christy Elliot apparently. Elliot is now fit and McGinn hasn't had a look in.

Think McGinn had a hamstring injury at Chesterfield, which kept him out for a large part of a season.

3 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

First comparing a left back to a right back is hardly inappropriate - it is the same role on the other side of the pitch. 

Second, I pointed out his scoring record to say that he is not going to contribute much there - which is not necessarily terrible - but there are full backs who can contribute to the goals tally as well and surely that is an asset? (Smith got 2 from RB this season, I think Eckers scored 2 as well, even Stelios got 1 or 2 with a lot fewer games - whereas Paul got 2 in 5 seasons).

IT looks like he is surplus to requirements at Thistle, and is not currently in the 1st 11 there;  and with us having only 1 full back signed for next season, he could take up a 3rd or 4th choice position in my opinion. BUT surely we want guys who are even better than Eckers and Paul or at least with sufficient potential that after Eckers is 34 our new guy gets in the 1st team? Signing Paul leaves 2 more spaces at FB. Not signing Paul is no big deal as far as I am concerned- there are really good FB's out there within our Budget..

Has Paul played at a higher level than Eckersley  ? = Yes   Have you watched Paul week in week out ? = No . Do you trust Jack to sign players needed ? = I don't know that answer from you , my answer would be yes especially since Jack coached Paul at Dumbarton who's supporters rave about Paul being brilliant.  Do we have the budget to go well above your expectations? = probably yes. For me Jack built a team to stop us being relegated agree? The Jack built a team to win the championship agreed ? Why not trust Jack who has worked with said player. Remember we are St Mirren not Hearts , Hibs, Aberdeen we will be one of the premiership small clubs who have yet to earn a premiership budget after all we will receive less than half what the bottom premiership clubs earn so let's learn to crawl before we can walk. Put trust in your management team who have worked wonders.  

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

10 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Has Paul played at a higher level than Eckersley  ? = Yes   Have you watched Paul week in week out ? = No . Do you trust Jack to sign players needed ? = I don't know that answer from you , my answer would be yes especially since Jack coached Paul at Dumbarton who's supporters rave about Paul being brilliant.  Do we have the budget to go well above your expectations? = probably yes. For me Jack built a team to stop us being relegated agree? The Jack built a team to win the championship agreed ? Why not trust Jack who has worked with said player. Remember we are St Mirren not Hearts , Hibs, Aberdeen we will be one of the premiership small clubs who have yet to earn a premiership budget after all we will receive less than half what the bottom premiership clubs earn so let's learn to crawl before we can walk. Put trust in your management team who have worked wonders.  

Has he ?   Eckersley has played English Championship level. Dont think Paul has .

46 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Has he ?   Eckersley has played English Championship level. Dont think Paul has .

I'm not trying to say Paul is a better player than Eckersley only trying to point out Paul has played in the Premiership got a move down South due to his performances with Dundee that would suggest there is a good player in there add Jack knows his qualities its a no brainer. Some players perform better with some coaches than others. Jack is not brining in someone he does not know. That mate is the bottom line for me. Let's not get carried away we can't sign up to 9 players of superstar quality. We average 4, 000 home fans and work within that budget. Yes cup games and wining the championship brings along extra fans unfortunately they are not there week in week out. As we now know we get under £500,000 for wining the championship compare that to third bottom of the premiership. Who do you think has a head start ? 

8 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I'm not trying to say Paul is a better player than Eckersley only trying to point out Paul has played in the Premiership got a move down South due to his performances with Dundee that would suggest there is a good player in there add Jack knows his qualities its a no brainer. Some players perform better with some coaches than others. Jack is not brining in someone he does not know. That mate is the bottom line for me. Let's not get carried away we can't sign up to 9 players of superstar quality. We average 4, 000 home fans and work within that budget. Yes cup games and wining the championship brings along extra fans unfortunately they are not there week in week out. As we now know we get under £500,000 for wining the championship compare that to third bottom of the premiership. Who do you think has a head start ? 

Im  pointing out that what you stated was simply NOT TRUE.   You stated that Paul had played at a higher level.... he hasnt.  I am making no comment on which is better .

7 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Im  pointing out that what you stated was simply NOT TRUE.   You stated that Paul had played at a higher level.... he hasnt.  I am making no comment on which is better .

Fair enough you are right on that. Too many are knocking a player not many of us know to well only going on Patrick Thistle fans view a team not exactly beaming in confidence  more what we were like in the old SPL. I'm ready to give Paul time if he signs. 

1 minute ago, ReturnOf isma is god said:

Don’t know maybe could fill the enforcer role that’s been missing since Goodwin left 

Jim was sneaky and hard.

Mohsni spends half his time getting involved with fans who say anything. He's already had run ins with St. Mirren, Morton and Dunfermline fans in half a dozen or so games.

I'd give him my full backing, but his temperament would be something I'd be wanting to steer clear of.

44 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Jim was sneaky and hard.

Mohsni spends half his time getting involved with fans who say anything. He's already had run ins with St. Mirren, Morton and Dunfermline fans in half a dozen or so games.

I'd give him my full backing, but his temperament would be something I'd be wanting to steer clear of.

I agree his temper is a real worry but jim also had one as we saw in the Dundee utd when he hit that boy in the face. My thinking is we need someone tough who’s willing to be an enforcer in the Morton game you could see that’s what we were missing when frank Ross was acting the wideo.

Edited by ReturnOf isma is god

11 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I don't find your arguments to be very coherent. As Callum above says Eckers has played at the English Championship level (and for Hearts)  which has to be higher than having played for Dundee or Partick..

I have seen Paul play a number of times but not every week, but having seen him at least in 8 matches, I thought he was a reasonable defender, but not much more. Most of us believe JR can do wonders, but taking players from his past clubs has not always been successful - look at Kirkpatrick for example and coaching Paul at Dumbarton, when they were drivel is on the same scale..

I haven't seen any of our supporters rave about Paul - but even on this thread folk have described Paul as a Meh signing - so the difference is simply opinions.

Not sure if you think I want us to spend too much - but my expectations are that our new budget is significantly better than this past years - we can therefore sign players much better than Paul - no doubt about that. (AND we will)

I have not suggested in any way that we do not trust Jack (and James and our BOD) - remember signing Paul has not been confirmed or denied yet, and as I said, he would make up a squad position (3rd or 4th FB) in MY opinion - but Jack is the boss, not either of us.

I don't think we will have much time to learn to crawl in the Premiership - we will need to hit the ground running - playing catch-up in the Championship was a lot easier, not so in the Premiership. I can only think of once when a team there managed the great escape, or huge turn around in the second half of the season - in the Championship, we, Falkirk and ICT have all managed this in the last couple of years.

I do trust in our management - they are the best we have had for decades...

32 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I don't find your arguments to be very coherent. As Callum above says Eckers has played at the English Championship level (and for Hearts)  which has to be higher than having played for Dundee or Partick..

I have seen Paul play a number of times but not every week, but having seen him at least in 8 matches, I thought he was a reasonable defender, but not much more. Most of us believe JR can do wonders, but taking players from his past clubs has not always been successful - look at Kirkpatrick for example and coaching Paul at Dumbarton, when they were drivel is on the same scale..

I haven't seen any of our supporters rave about Paul - but even on this thread folk have described Paul as a Meh signing - so the difference is simply opinions.

Not sure if you think I want us to spend too much - but my expectations are that our new budget is significantly better than this past years - we can therefore sign players much better than Paul - no doubt about that. (AND we will)

I have not suggested in any way that we do not trust Jack (and James and our BOD) - remember signing Paul has not been confirmed or denied yet, and as I said, he would make up a squad position (3rd or 4th FB) in MY opinion - but Jack is the boss, not either of us.

I don't think we will have much time to learn to crawl in the Premiership - we will need to hit the ground running - playing catch-up in the Championship was a lot easier, not so in the Premiership. I can only think of once when a team there managed the great escape, or huge turn around in the second half of the season - in the Championship, we, Falkirk and ICT have all managed this in the last couple of years.

I do trust in our management - they are the best we have had for decades...

Agree with most of what you write mate im not saying Paul is the best thing since sliced bread just that he will be a welcome addition. As Yardley said in today's times  keeping Jack Ross this summer will be the biggest deal the club can do. 

My feeling is that if there are 8 signings to be made , 4 will be for players expected to go straight into the starting eleven and four will have to fight it out with the existing squad for a place on the starting eleven . So far the players we have been linked with are McGinn , Goodwillie , Cadden and Halkett . I would think these would be guys bought in to challenge for a position , as and not walk straight into a first team place . Stephen McGinn , Flynn , Davis and Eckersley were brought into the team from lower league teams in England , I,m hoping to see another two or three signings coming from that direction.

Just now, MenstrieSaint said:

My feeling is that if there are 8 signings to be made , 4 will be for players expected to go straight into the starting eleven and four will have to fight it out with the existing squad for a place on the starting eleven . So far the players we have been linked with are McGinn , Goodwillie , Cadden and Halkett . I would think these would be guys bought in to challenge for a position , as and not walk straight into a first team place . Stephen McGinn , Flynn , Davis and Eckersley were brought into the team from lower league teams in England , I,m hoping to see another two or three signings coming from that direction.

Not Eckersley. He was playing in North America but wanted to return to the UK for family reasons and we were lucky enough to sign him due to him knowing Jack Ross.

Surely this talk of Goodwillie is pish?

Apart from him having more baggage than a loaded carousel at Paisley International, he has being playing with Clyde - in League 2 - against the likes of Annan, Elgin, and Montrose. 

Nah, I'm not buying it at all.