Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

14 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

As the season ends the speculation bazaar begins.  Let us march forward, shrugging off old mistakes and proudly stepping into a new, bright future.

So

Whats Dougie Imrie up to these days?

Maybe a bit long in the tooth now but in his heyday was a decent Bottom 6 player - never worth a transfer fee though.

22 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

This is the sort of left-field bonkers summer transfer rumour I think we can all get behind.

Can see this happening given the relationship Ross and Rogers has. Would be a fantastic signing exciting to watch also . Can see Ross putting a good team together with pace up front . 

46 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Can see this happening given the relationship Ross and Rogers has. Would be a fantastic signing exciting to watch also . Can see Ross putting a good team together with pace up front . 

Aye, mebbes but given a choice between Hayes and a certain trophy-laden young winger now on Celtic's books, I know who I'd prefer.

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:33 AM, Magic Monkey said:

I'd take punt on bringing back Shankland or Hardie every single time over bringing Goodwillie anywhere near our club.

Obviously Jack bombed both of them out last January, but they both showed a lot of focus and aptitude this season. Maybe the jump from L1 to Premiership would be too much for Lawrence, admittedly, but I'm more making a point about Goodwillie, anyway.

A fit Shankland will score goals at most levels if he gets the service, problem is that at Premier level the service will be sparse and we will need people willing to bust a gut to assist the team and it's not a natural asset in his game. Hardie is a strange one though, scores plenty of goals and usually looks to have all the things Jack would like in a player, however never showed that appetite with us despite him showing it everywhere else.

On the quote from Jack Ross regarding the released players he says "With regards adding to the squad the recruitment process is well under way and to expect some news on that by the end of this week".

He had also said (on Radio Clyde I think) that he was looking at 7-9 players for next season.

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

On the quote from Jack Ross regarding the released players he says "With regards adding to the squad the recruitment process is well under way and to expect some news on that by the end of this week".

He had also said (on Radio Clyde I think) that he was looking at 7-9 players for next season.

From the Website (without the photo)

St Mirren Football Club can confirm that Stelios Demetriou, John Sutton, Gary Irvine, Massimo Donati, Josh Todd, Darryl Duffy, Darren Whyte and Nathan Flanagan will leave the club following the expiry of their contract, while Lewis Morgan, Mark Hill and Liam Smith will all return to their parent clubs as their loan deals come to an end. 

Jack Ross said: "I'd personally like to show my appreciation for the players' effort - not just during this season - but my tenure as a whole. I wish them all the best for the future. In terms of adding to the squad, the recruitment process is well underway and we hope to have some news on that front later this week." 

We can also confirm that Conor O'Keefe, Evan Horne, Andrew McDonald, Robbie Leitch, Dylan McKendry and Chris Henry will also depart from the St Mirren U20s.  

So we are letting 11 seniors go and signing 7-9 ----- don't think so   unless he is not counting loan signings...

17 folk away already and who knows what will happen with some others..

Hope the "7-9" Jack is talking about are guys who are really strong Premiership class - that is what we really need.....  TOP 6 would be amazing...

St Mirren Football Club can confirm that Stelios Demetriou, John Sutton, Gary Irvine, Massimo Donati, Josh Todd, Darryl Duffy, Darren Whyte and Nathan Flanagan will leave the club following the expiry of their contract, while Lewis Morgan, Mark Hill and Liam Smith will all return to their parent clubs as their loan deals come to an end. 

Jack Ross said: "I'd personally like to show my appreciation for the players' effort - not just during this season - but my tenure as a whole. I wish them all the best for the future. In terms of adding to the squad, the recruitment process is well underway and we hope to have some news on that front later this week." 

We can also confirm that Conor O'Keefe, Evan Horne, Andrew McDonald, Robbie Leitch, Dylan McKendry and Chris Henry will also depart from the St Mirren U20s.  

So we are letting 11 seniors go and signing 7-9 ----- don't think so   unless he is not counting loan signings...

Hope the "7-9" Jack is talking about are guys who are really strong Premiership class - that is what we really need.....  TOP 6 would be amazing...

I see what your saying he definitely did say 7-9 somewhere hopefully you are right and he meant 7-9 quality SPL ready players.

To those advocating signing the likes of O'Ware and or Lamie from Morton...absolutely not.

We need to be doing more along the lines of what Motherwell have done, signing guys like Hartley and Kipre or even following our own example and signing someone like Davis.

As I've said elsewhere, if we ARE going to sign a Championship defender it should be Halkett from Livingston who is OOC at the end of May and was one of the best CDs in the league.

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

I see what your saying he definitely did say 7-9 somewhere hopefully you are right and he meant 7-9 quality SPL ready players.

I would suspect that we are looking at 4-5 starters and the balance in squad players. If you look at who actually left there are only a couple of players that made a real contribution to the squad over the season in that lot from a permanent point of view. Obviously Morgan will be the big miss from a loan signing, but would like to think that there are clubs who will look at the development of players under Jack who will think that we are a good place to send quality youngsters to develop.

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Who are the 11 seniors who have played a significant number of games for Saints this season?

As far as I  can see only Stelios, Sutton and Irvine have reached double figures match-day squad appearances. The loanees will , of course, return to their parent clubs. Leaving them aside it looks like only 3 squad members are being released.

15 hours ago, smcc said:

Who are the 11 seniors who have played a significant number of games for Saints this season?

As far as I  can see only Stelios, Sutton and Irvine have reached double figures match-day squad appearances. The loanees will , of course, return to their parent clubs. Leaving them aside it looks like only 3 squad members are being released.

The line I have highlighted is yours - I never said that - I said we are letting 11 Seniors go,- they are seniors because the were listed on the website as 1st Team Squad not youth etc.

16 hours ago, madball said:

I would suspect that we are looking at 4-5 starters and the balance in squad players. If you look at who actually left there are only a couple of players that made a real contribution to the squad over the season in that lot from a permanent point of view. Obviously Morgan will be the big miss from a loan signing, but would like to think that there are clubs who will look at the development of players under Jack who will think that we are a good place to send quality youngsters to develop.

Seriously 4 or 5 starters - we are currently left with 15 senior players max... if a number of them sign new contracts and none leave for other reasons e.g. McShane might go for more games if someone came in for him; Stewart and Kirkpatrick might end up back at Alloa - even these 3 would take us down to 12 players - another 12 would need to be signed...to balance/make up a squad.

If we sign minimum 10 players to get the squad to the likely size required - why would we only sign 4 or 5 who will be starters? (The rest just making up the numbers, just in case)

Even if you mean 1st choice players - with injuries, suspensions etc we will still need more than 5 new quality guys.

2 RB, 1 LB, 1CB,  at least 3 midfielders, 1 or 2 Strikers, and most likely another GK

We want guys who can challenge for places and improve the team right? (Guys who don't lack the physicality or nuse required). Some might be on loan, but they need to be good enough or fab.

37 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Seriously 4 or 5 starters - we are currently left with 15 senior players max... if a number of them sign new contracts and none leave for other reasons e.g. McShane might go for more games if someone came in for him; Stewart and Kirkpatrick might end up back at Alloa - even these 3 would take us down to 12 players - another 12 would need to be signed...to balance/make up a squad.

If we sign minimum 10 players to get the squad to the likely size required - why would we only sign 4 or 5 who will be starters? (The rest just making up the numbers, just in case)

Even if you mean 1st choice players - with injuries, suspensions etc we will still need more than 5 new quality guys.

2 RB, 1 LB, 1CB,  at least 3 midfielders, 1 or 2 Strikers, and most likely another GK

We want guys who can challenge for places and improve the team right? (Guys who don't lack the physicality or nuse required). Some might be on loan, but they need to be good enough or fab.

We will need to sign the "Hairy ersed hammer throwing 6 ft+ fermers" that ICT had for years.

4 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

On 1 February 2016, after much speculation, O'Halloran signed a four and a half-year deal  ?

They never learn , do they ? O'Halloran will be sitting pretty until they pay him off , yet , they've just handed a midfielder plodder , who is 30 this year , a similar 4 year deal.

4 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

The line I have highlighted is yours - I never said that - I said we are letting 11 Seniors go,- they are seniors because the were listed on the website as 1st Team Squad not youth etc.

2 of those 'seniors', Duffy & Todd have already been replaced by Flynn & Mullen, hence why they were allowed to leave on loan.

Whyte & Flanagan were 'promoted' from the U20s and will be replaced by current U20s, an example being Erhahon.

We also have Kirkpatrick & Stewart (striker) coming back from loan.

That leaves a net position of 5 seniors to replace at the moment.