Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

2 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

I am on a roll though - I predicted Aberdeen as Scotland's 2nd best team too and a number of other things like Murray being a complete dud,  Sutton making no further contribution to our season and us needing at least 10 new squad players etc. etc.

Maybe we need a new thread or 2 - things we predicted and got right and things we predicted and got wrong...?  OOPS (new prediction - some folk won't like this)

f**k'em , wire in dude , it's all part of the entertainment . I think most of the moaners have been sinbinned anyway. .:P

A Dee fan over on P/B saying Ohara and Holt have signed a pre contract with us. 
I've saw this quoted various places in last 24 hours.

The thing that makes me think it's alot of crap is why is the information they have signed a "Pre Contract"???

Surely now the season is finished for both teams they can just sign a "Contract".

Most players who sign pre contracts do so well before end of the season if they had done this it would have been common knowledge long ago.

2 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

maw

mɔː/

noun

the jaws or throat of a voracious animal.

"a gigantic wolfhound with a fearful, gaping maw"

informal

the mouth or gullet of a greedy person.

"I was cramming large pieces of toast and cheese down my maw"

synonyms:mouth, jaws, muzzle, throat, gullet; More

What about it? :)

maw
Scottish slang for "your mother" usually used as a quick retort to an insult.
person1- you suck Dick
Person2- aye yer maw's dick.

I wiz shaggin yer maw.

Yer Maw's Muff smells like tuna.

. .hope this helps

9 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

I am on a roll though - I predicted Aberdeen as Scotland's 2nd best team too and a number of other things like Murray being a complete dud,  Sutton making no further contribution to our season and us needing at least 10 new squad players etc. etc.

Maybe we need a new thread or 2 - things we predicted and got right and things we predicted and got wrong...?  OOPS (new prediction - some folk won't like this)

You might want to change your name to Nostradamus. I would go for setting up the thread.  Might be interesting to  see how we get on in the prophecy sphere. 

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I've saw this quoted various places in last 24 hours.

The thing that makes me think it's alot of crap is why is the information they have signed a "Pre Contract"???

Surely now the season is finished for both teams they can just sign a "Contract".

Most players who sign pre contracts do so well before end of the season if they had done this it would have been common knowledge long ago.

Well, he isn't a 'free agent' yet, until his contract officially expires. He might have signed for us on a pre contract already but don't think we'd like to make it public until such times as he's a 'free agent'. There's lots of loopholes in these 'pre contracts' that can be exploited - see the Richard Brittain St Johnstone/Ross County scenario.

1 hour ago, linwood bud said:

I would like us to go for templeton, just released by accies and scored 9 goals in top flight, good replacement for Morgan in my opinion

Is this an indication of the scam earlier in the season at Accies  where they released Donati to save wages., Crawford has gone and now Templeton who was  a game changer for them. 

1 hour ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

Difficult to bring new players in until the gaffer decides where he wants to be.

It's not, nor should it be.

Gaffer gives chief exec a list of transfer targets to go out and speak to and as far as I'm aware, that's the plan Tony is sticking to.

It's a situation where if Jack Ross and SMFC hold off and he doesn't get the Ipswich job, then most of his targets will already be away elsewhere and both his and the club's plans for the new season are goosed.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with us pressing ahead with contract talks for new players at present. This league is cutthroat as it is, there's no point in giving every other club a 3 or 4 week jump start on us. Of course, if Jack does go, then that changes everything and I'd imagine signing are on hold but whilst he's St. Mirren manager, he'll continue to do his duties as such.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Gaffer gives chief exec a list of transfer targets to go out and speak to and as far as I'm aware, that's the plan Tony is sticking to.

It's a situation where if Jack Ross and SMFC hold off and he doesn't get the Ipswich job, then most of his targets will already be away elsewhere and both his and the club's plans for the new season are goosed.

At the end of the day, I'm happy with us pressing ahead with contract talks for new players at present. This league is cutthroat as it is, there's no point in giving every other club a 3 or 4 week jump start on us. Of course, if Jack does go, then that changes everything and I'd imagine signing are on hold but whilst he's St. Mirren manager, he'll continue to do his duties as such.

Of course it is,  if you are a player coming in why would you sign for a club when you dont know who you will be playing under ?  Who knows , a player may find a situation where he has just signed a two year deal thinking he will be playing under manager A then finds he is going to be playing for Manager B who froze him out at a previous club.

From a management point of view , Any manager worth his salt wants to put his own stamp on things, our own situation post Rae when JR took over is a prime example.

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Of course it is,  if you are a player coming in why would you sign for a club when you dont know who you will be playing under ?  Who knows , a player may find a situation where he has just signed a two year deal thinking he will be playing under manager A then finds he is going to be playing for Manager B who froze him out at a previous club.

From a management point of view , Any manager worth his salt wants to put his own stamp on things, our own situation post Rae when JR took over is a prime example.

I may be wrong but is it not the club that pays the wages and who the players play for (and fans)? Yes, a manager can entice certain players but in the end all managers can leave before or during a season. Does that mean every player he signed would want to leave too if he moved or was sacked?  I want Jack to stay but he will likely leave sooner than later and we need to bring players in who want to play for the club regardless of who our manager is.

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Perhaps - but it hardly helps the situation.

The uncertainty has a disruptive effect on the players as the 4-1 thumping against Livingstone demonstrated last season.

10 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

The uncertainty has a disruptive effect on the players as the 4-1 thumping against Livingstone demonstrated last season.

Ok the BOD can make it all go away and the Scottish Manager of the Year can commit to Saints

Pay him £400k a year as long as he commits to 2 years........................ do u think that will happen?

42 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

I've seen a few folk mention that, but I don't buy it at all.

Livingston played well that day and as they have proven beyond doubt they are no mugs. We fell apart for a 15 minute spell in the match and they capitalised on that and scored 3 goals which put the match out of sight for us. We chased the game second half and were unlucky not to get back into it before losing the final goal.

After that game we we then went unbeaten in our next six games including five wins, a run that ultimately won us the title.

I agree that uncertainty around his future will potentially spook new signings but the reality is that until something changes Jack remains our manager and is working hard to prepare for next season.

Having watched his presser yesterday I'm actually a bit less convinced that he's going to go to Ipswich. It's the most positive I've been about the situation.