Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

33 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Ok the BOD can make it all go away and the Scottish Manager of the Year can commit to Saints

Pay him £400k a year as long as he commits to 2 years........................ do u think that will happen?

How long can/should we continue with this uncertainty then?

If it's not Ipswich some other club will follow within a few months if not weeks.

Perhaps the Board in Alex Ferguson's time called it correctly and took the initiative. We then had one of our most successful periods (several seasons) under the management of Jim Clunie and then Rikki McFarlane.

21 minutes ago, div said:

I've seen a few folk mention that, but I don't buy it at all.

Livingston played well that day and as they have proven beyond doubt they are no mugs. We fell apart for a 15 minute spell in the match and they capitalised on that and scored 3 goals which put the match out of sight for us. We chased the game second half and were unlucky not to get back into it before losing the final goal.

After that game we we then went unbeaten in our next six games including five wins, a run that ultimately won us the title.

I agree that uncertainty around his future will potentially spook new signings but the reality is that until something changes Jack remains our manager and is working hard to prepare for next season.

Having watched his presser yesterday I'm actually a bit less convinced that he's going to go to Ipswich. It's the most positive I've been about the situation.

Agree Div.  Maybe some forget we gifted them their first goal when Baird and Sammy made a mess of a nothing situation. Two quick goals after that killed it but we had all the play in the second half and were unlucky not to pull a couple back before they scored a 4th right at the death.

How long can/should we continue with this uncertainty then?
If it's not Ipswich some other club will follow within a few months if not weeks.
Perhaps the Board in Alex Ferguson's time called it correctly and took the initiative. We then had one of our most successful periods (several seasons) under the management of Jim Clunie and then Rikki McFarlane.
As Fergie himself proved time and time again through his career no-one is bigger than the club maybe he learnt that from us.

23 hours ago, div said:

I've seen a few folk mention that, but I don't buy it at all.

Livingston played well that day and as they have proven beyond doubt they are no mugs. We fell apart for a 15 minute spell in the match and they capitalised on that and scored 3 goals which put the match out of sight for us. We chased the game second half and were unlucky not to get back into it before losing the final goal.

After that game we we then went unbeaten in our next six games including five wins, a run that ultimately won us the title.

I agree that uncertainty around his future will potentially spook new signings but the reality is that until something changes Jack remains our manager and is working hard to prepare for next season.

Having watched his presser yesterday I'm actually a bit less convinced that he's going to go to Ipswich. It's the most positive I've been about the situation.

I agree.  Jack and the players could and can handle it.  Fans?  Maybe not so much.  Tough game football and tough being a football fan for most if not all clubs. IMO

On 15/05/2018 at 9:01 AM, Callum Gilhooley said:

Of course it is,  if you are a player coming in why would you sign for a club when you dont know who you will be playing under ?  Who knows , a player may find a situation where he has just signed a two year deal thinking he will be playing under manager A then finds he is going to be playing for Manager B who froze him out at a previous club.

From a management point of view , Any manager worth his salt wants to put his own stamp on things, our own situation post Rae when JR took over is a prime example.

Sounds like Rory Loy

Really frustrated at the lack of activity on this thread. Not even as much as a whisper on some days.  I know many players contracts don't expire til the end of May, but surely there's some noise out there. The sooner the manager situation is sorted out the better.

24 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Really frustrated at the lack of activity on this thread. Not even as much as a whisper on some days.  I know many players contracts don't expire til the end of May, but surely there's some noise out there. The sooner the manager situation is sorted out the better.

JR plays his cards close to his chest when it comes to signing players. We often don't get a sniff in advance.

That said....

Gie's a signing!

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/655056/dundee-united-leading-the-race-for-dunfermlines-nicky-clark/

If we are in the SPL and Dundee Utd can still offer him a better financial package they really are a team about to implode from debt, its nuts (if we were even interested)

1 minute ago, Swiss_Saint said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/655056/dundee-united-leading-the-race-for-dunfermlines-nicky-clark/

If we are in the SPL and Dundee Utd can still offer him a better financial package they really are a team about to implode from debt, its nuts (if we were even interested)

We are interested.

18 minutes ago, Swiss_Saint said:

My thoughts entirely. They must be heavily in debt having thrown a lot to try and win promotion. Surely we can compete plus PL football too.

Cancel the speculation thread until further notice.

We won't know if we will still have our manager until the beginning of June and players are hardly going to commit themselves to St Mirren until the situation is resolved one way or another.

Meantime, during this period of limbo, other clubs are acting to build for next season.

Our balloon is well and truly burst!

Jack Ross's job at St Mirren is a work in progress (in his own words) but someone else will probably  have to complete it, but only after other teams have acted.

Edited by northstbuddie

4 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

Cancel the speculation thread until further notice.

We won't know if we will still have our manager until the beginning of June and players are hardly going to commit themselves to St Mirren until the situation is resolved one way or another.

Meantime, during this period of limbo, other clubs are acting to build for next season.

Our ballon is well and truly burst!

Jack Ross's job at St Mirren is a work in progress (in his own words) but someone else will probably  have to complete it, but only after other teams have acted.

Think we'll know the answer by next week. :(