Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

8 hours ago, Gosport Buddie said:

I know we've been linked with Paul McGinn but on the play offs I don't think we should be after any Thistle players

I didn't think he was too bad, actually. Played several decent balls into the channels. I'm not saying he's a world-beater, but it's probably quite easy for decent players to look terrible in a demotivated Thistle side.

That's what shocked me most of all; how sluggish many of them looked. 

18 minutes ago, munoz said:

Paul McGinn was probably their best player yesterday,  although that's not saying much. Thought he looked like one of the few thistle players that looked interested. 

Munoz. I thought even he was moving as though through treacle on the day. 

Maybe a bit harsh as Thistle did put in a very high work rate in the second half on Sunday. 

28 minutes ago, doonhamer said:

Can you name four better central defender targets who we could realistically afford?

Have you looked at his career since leaving us? Injury prone and won’t cut it.

he only looked half decent for us as he was surrounded by shite like Marwood and Ball! 

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

and we could do a whole lot better...   Halkett and O'Ware coming our way soon.... if they agree

The Championship centre halves of the year. I'd be reasonably happy with them, though would still have preferred Davis to stay. 

(Having said that, have you seen Livi are putting a plastic pitch down as well - that would have been another two games he couldn't have played).

Not convinced by O'Ware, but would happily be proved wrong if he signed. Halkett looks a bit better, but he might fancy a crack at the Prem with Livi.

My worries about both are more or less the same, they're both dominant aggressive centre backs which is great, but they've both been fairly limited in sort of football they've been asked to play. Morton play more football than Livingston, but they're still quite direct. I'd worry a bit about them making the step up and adapting their game to a more passing style at the same time, could be a big ask. Suppose it depends how we're going to play next season.

5 minutes ago, Saint Garf said:

Not convinced by O'Ware, but would happily be proved wrong if he signed. Halkett looks a bit better, but he might fancy a crack at the Prem with Livi.

My worries about both are more or less the same, they're both dominant aggressive centre backs which is great, but they've both been fairly limited in sort of football they've been asked to play. Morton play more football than Livingston, but they're still quite direct. I'd worry a bit about them making the step up and adapting their game to a more passing style at the same time, could be a big ask. Suppose it depends how we're going to play next season.

I think we're unlikely to go up and attempt to play really nice football all the time. I've been quite surprised by what I've seen of the Premiership this last season in terms of the physicality. 

I'm hoping that by adding a bit of steel (either the players mentioned above, or different ones, I don't really care) we'll be able to go to the Ibrox, Parkhead, Pittodrie and Tannadice (oops :P ) and go toe-to-toe with them.

But yes, I agree with you: a bit of composure at the back would be nice. Part of that will come from making sure there's plenty of available out balls and lots of willing runners in front of them.

3 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

I think we're unlikely to go up and attempt to play really nice football all the time. I've been quite surprised by what I've seen of the Premiership this last season in terms of the physicality. 

I'm hoping that by adding a bit of steel (either the players mentioned above, or different ones, I don't really care) we'll be able to go to the Ibrox, Parkhead, Pittodrie and Tannadice (oops :P ) and go toe-to-toe with them.

But yes, I agree with you: a bit of composure at the back would be nice. Part of that will come from making sure there's plenty of available out balls and lots of willing runners in front of them.

Spot on Magic Monkey