Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

With all the 6 footers, that will give Cammy plenty of cover to run riot.  :thumbsup
Along with Magennis and Flynn.

Sad to see a Championship winning squad being dismantled, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought they'd be good enough, colletively, to compete for anything other than the bottom 2-3 places.

Wouldn't have been any different if JR was in charge.

I am currently quietly optimistic about this season, although like many others on here, I would like to see a few more coming in, better still if a couple are more experienced.

Jack Ross would have been just as ruthless with the squad that won the league. One thing that became clear as day was he was at the helm.

Ross had a ruthless side and Stubbs is no different in terms of he knows what is required in order to compete at this level. My one concern is that he manages to sign enough players of sufficient quality for us to do this.

1 hour ago, class of 76-77 said:

Jack Ross would have been just as ruthless with the squad that won the league. One thing that became clear as day was he was at the helm.

Ross had a ruthless side and Stubbs is no different in terms of he knows what is required in order to compete at this level. My one concern is that he manages to sign enough players of sufficient quality for us to do this. 

Ross was ruthless in bringing in his own players first time around, but I'm not as sure Ross would have been as ruthless with the squad as Stubbs will be, I accept he would have been ruthless in the starting XI but I would say that there would be an element of loyalty to a number of players in keeping them at the club as the backup and not starters as they were his players.

1 hour ago, madball said:

Ross was ruthless in bringing in his own players first time around, but I'm not as sure Ross would have been as ruthless with the squad as Stubbs will be, I accept he would have been ruthless in the starting XI but I would say that there would be an element of loyalty to a number of players in keeping them at the club as the backup and not starters as they were his players.

Quite possible madball although he was ruthless enough with Stelios.

Quite possible madball although he was ruthless enough with Stelios.
Agree, however easy decision to make as Stelios was a squad player. Think Ross would've taken 1st teamers with him, and pruned the rest of squad.

Stubbs I reckon has applied the logic that only a few last season starters good enough to start going forward and the rest at best would be squad players, and from that whether he felt get better with equivalent money

4 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Alloa chairman Mike Mulraeney on his twitter page has advised fans to keep an eye on the Alloa Athletic twitter page over the weekend , wonder if that means they,ve signed Stewart and Kilpatrick from us .

I would imagine that Stewart & Kirkpatrick are probably the players that Div was referring to on twitter when he said, there’s more than four  who have been told that they can go.

2 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

I would imagine that Stewart & Kirkpatrick are probably the players that Div was referring to on twitter when he said, there’s more than four  who have been told that they can go.

Jim Goodwin rates both players. Could be a great move for all concerned. 

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Alloa chairman Mike Mulraeney on his twitter page has advised fans to keep an eye on the Alloa Athletic twitter page over the weekend , wonder if that means they,ve signed Stewart and Kilpatrick from us .

or Baird.

The one nagging doubt I have is looking at what happened with Stubbs at Rotherham.

He arrived with some bold ambitions in terms of who he was going to be signing. For whatever reason - and Stubbs says the funds he'd been promised weren't available - very few of his signing targets came off, and they were utter mince. His successor lasted even less time than Stubbs did; presumably the squad was rotten.

He blames the Rotherham board, and I believe him. I just hope we're in a position to actually sign the players he has in mind.

I would take Tony Watt. Guy clearly has ability and someone will get a good year or two out of him!

Guess it depends if he realises he’s bordering on the last chance to revive his career.

I remember when Killie signed Kevin Kyle and everyone thought he was a headcase and finished and he was superb for them before his move to rangers

Is this the same Rogers who was on-loan at Falkirk? If so I think he'd be a great signing, was always very impressed with him when he played against us.

As for Watt, I'd be interested to see how he did, certainly a player in there. Still only 24, appears to be about to sign for St Johnstone though.