Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Just so I'm getting this right. Folk are debating whether the third best goalscorer in Premiership history would be a good addition? 

Just for reference, Doolan is breaking Club Records with every season. He's Club Captain, He's in his testimonial season and has also joined the Youth Academy coaching staff. He took a wage reduction to stay and do his best to get us promoted, to right the wrongs of last season. He's a one club player since turning professional.

But you boys crack on, it's good reading, if nothing else!

Would be a Wyness type signing , probably done , so not bothered either way

Just so I'm getting this right. Folk are debating whether the third best goalscorer in Premiership history would be a good addition? 

Just for reference, Doolan is breaking Club Records with every season. He's Club Captain, He's in his testimonial season and has also joined the Youth Academy coaching staff. He took a wage reduction to stay and do his best to get us promoted, to right the wrongs of last season. He's a one club player since turning professional.

But you boys crack on, it's good reading, if nothing else!
Is 3rd best based on goals per game? Appreciate it's not always accurate but Wikipedia has him with 54 premier goals which doesn't get him in the top 10 premier scorers.

I reckon some people are concerned at his age and whether he's past his best. What's your thoughts?

9 minutes ago, andrew87 said:

Is 3rd best based on goals per game? Appreciate it's not always accurate but Wikipedia has him with 54 premier goals which doesn't get him in the top 10 premier scorers.

I reckon some people are concerned at his age and whether he's past his best. What's your thoughts?

Only Rooney and Griffiths have scored more.

My thoughts? He's not signing for St Mirren. 

Edited by dave.j

Ehh really only Griffith’s and Rooney straight away boyd came to my head to think your talking utter tosh.

I take it your talking 3rd best scorers of players currently playing other wise is no where near top 3

I stand corrected as he is the 3rd highest scorer since the top flight was re-branded as the Premiership.

What I would say is that he seems to have played week in week out for a team that has been in the top flight since it became the Premiership. Teams such as Motherwell have had good goalscorers but they haven't stuck around for 5 years. Not a criticism of Doolan at all as he has been a great player for you but undoubtedly a factor in this statistic

9 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Ehh really only Griffith’s and Rooney straight away boyd came to my head to think your talking utter tosh.

I take it your talking 3rd best scorers of players currently playing other wise is no where near top 3

When did the Premiership start? 

When did the Premiership start? 

Lol is that how your working it out how does his appearance to goals ratio work out compared to others then in the last 5 years.

Decent striker done great for partick but coming to the end of his career id rather we looked elsewhere even though I think the rumour is a load of rubbish someone made up.

3 minutes ago, buddies1877 said:

Lol is that how your working it out how does his appearance to goals ratio work out compared to others then in the last 5 years.

Decent striker done great for partick but coming to the end of his career id rather we looked elsewhere even though I think the rumour is a load of rubbish someone made up.

I'm working it out exactly how I stated it  he's the third top premiership goalscorer behind Griffiths and Rooney. Not bad for a  "decent striker" in a bottom 6 team. 

FWIW I like Doolan and think he would do a turn, but let’s not forget he scored 6 goals in 33 premiership appearances last season. So either last year was a one off and he would bang them in again, or he’s a striker on the slide who’s best days are behind him.

Someone mentioned previously that we have been bitten by this type of signing a fair bit in the past, Wyness, Dargo, Annand and Fenton all spring to mind.

4 hours ago, stlucifer said:

There'll be Doolin and Doolin don't wants

High and low, they'll shout the odds.

Easy money, for half a season,

Would be as well with, Billy Dodds!

(There's a song in there).

Aye, you’ll get there... in the long run.

I'm working it out exactly how I stated it  he's the third top premiership goalscorer behind Griffiths and Rooney. Not bad for a  "decent striker" in a bottom 6 team. 

As far as I'm concerned the Scottish top flight is the Scottish top flight. To say Kris Boyd's goals scored in the SPL don't count because the tournament had a different name is a ridiculous argument. By this rationale Celtic have only won the league 5 years in a row not 7.

Good as Doolan has been for Partick he's no McCoist, Larsson or John Robertson. He's not even at the same level as Tommy Coyne or Billy Dodds.