Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

Stokes could end up at one of  several SPL clubs ,on a short or season long deal. He has a history but I don't give a shit if he ends up scoring the goals for us , goals he may have scored for Dundee , Accies or Killie etc  Having had a first look at Stubbs' guys on Friday and been impressed , although I was a critic beforehand , I trust his judgement if he decides to bring Stokes in !

eta Stubbs is only interested in getting things right here , I get the impression that if Stokes doesn't tow the line , his feet won't touch the ground !

Edited by billyg

1 hour ago, munoz said:

A 6 month deal wouldn't be too much of risk. It could work out well , it could be a disaster. 

There is the potential for him to have an unsettling impact on the squad in general. The fact that Lennon offloaded him speaks volumes for me.

8 hours ago, andrew87 said:

As far as I'm concerned the Scottish top flight is the Scottish top flight. To say Kris Boyd's goals scored in the SPL don't count because the tournament had a different name is a ridiculous argument. By this rationale Celtic have only won the league 5 years in a row not 7.

Good as Doolan has been for Partick he's no McCoist, Larsson or John Robertson. He's not even at the same level as Tommy Coyne or Billy Dodds.

I didn't say they don't count. I just stated a fact.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

There is the potential for him to have an unsettling impact on the squad in general. The fact that Lennon offloaded him speaks volumes for me.

If that's the case Stubbs wouldn't be interested , he had one or two loose cannons in his squad at Easter Road but managed to keep them in check !

21 minutes ago, Drew said:

Tbf Neil Lennon dosnt really come across as a level headed type either,  so maybe there was a clash of personalities. 

Whoever Stubbs brings in I'll trust his judgement until proven otherwise.

Edited by munoz

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

To be fair Drew, there are some on here saying that same effect will occur if we bring in a "marquee" signing on bigger wages than the rest of the squad, even if they have a sound reputation.

Stubbs knows what a fit and focussed Stokes can offer and TBH, that Stokes would be excellent for us.

Of course it's a risk, but if we want to survive this season and even push on, then it might be a risk worth taking. From what we've seen already, Stubbs doesn't seem to buy into the safe journeyman signing route, which whilst refreshing to see, comes with an element of risk.

He doesn't seem to be shy in making less than popular decisions, which says a lot about his character and determination to succeed.

Will it work? I don't know, but I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride while it lasts.

I appreciate what folk are saying about Stokes, but I can't help but think that his best days will be well behind him, and what he might contribute could be outweighed by the baggage he is now trailing around behind him.

If he offered as much as some think he does, why are St Mirren and Shamrock Rovers the only clubs quoted as having an interest in him?

Not for me, but if Stubbs brings him in, I'll reserve judgement. People deserve a fair crack of the whip, I suppose, but I would have hoped we could do better (or certainly less controversial).

Edited by Drew

43 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

if he was offered a trial , he might turn up at Paisley Sheriff Court

Ditto!

trials are one thing he doesnt have to go looking for! Good player, pest against us, but it will be a case of 'when' not 'if' he drags the club into disrepute. All those bruises on him from ten foot barge poles tell any manager contemplating signing him all they need to know.

Rodgers is reported as saying that Johnston not going anywhere for now. Seemingly Sinclair and Morgan are carrying knocks, so he might want to keep the lad in reserve for cover.

Looks like it is time to move on.

Screenshot_20180717-135632.jpg

Edited by Drew

15 minutes ago, Drew said:

Rodgers is reported as saying that Johnston not going anywhere for now. Seemingly Sinclair and Morgan are carrying knocks, so he might want to keep the lad in reserve for cover.

Looks like it is time to move on.

Screenshot_20180717-135632.jpg

Does he go on to say he is prepared to pay £5m for McGinn?