Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I'm sure most supporters are pretty disappointed, given the statement made in conjunction with the shite result on Tuesday.

The Mikey Johnstone situation is understandable, but with no other significant signings having been made so far, Stubbs hasn't done himself any favours at all.

It will be interesting to see how he gets out of this situation.

He certainly hasn't covered himself in glory.

FFS, it is pretty basic stuff - keep your powder dry. Grandstanding will almost always come back and bite you when there are so many variables in play.

It has been a schoolboy error on Stubbs' part, and doesn't instil confidence.

4 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

Martin Patterson ex Stoke, Burnley and Scunthorpe is apparently on trial. 

31 years old, with a very average scoring record.

Last played in India.

Sadly I remember the last player we signed who had just finished playing in India.

I doubt that this news will have fans dancing in the streets.

12 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Last played in India.

Sadly I remember the last player we signed who had just finished playing in India.

More bivvy bag than marquee, certainly.

35 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Last played in India.

What I find odd is that the new guys and rumoured guys are not better than what we have/had. For example Gavin Reilly and Gary Mackenzie. A Jonny Hayes yes I would get that but on the evidence so far it looks like we have gone backward a bit.

16 minutes ago, magnus said:

What I find odd is that the new guys and rumoured guys are not better than what we have/had. For example Gavin Reilly and Gary Mackenzie. A Jonny Hayes yes I would get that but on the evidence so far it looks like we have gone backward a bit.

Not sure about that.

Kpekawa could well be a younger fitter version of MacKenzie.

Gavin Reilly still has hell of a lot to prove at any level above Scottish championship. Even though I've poked fun at Paterson, he did score a fair amount of goals for Burnley at a far higher level. He may or may not be able to reproduce this for us.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Last played in India.

Not the kind of potential signing that would fill you with confidence.

It would appear that there is a distinct possibility that one or two possible marquee type signings have fallen through.

This is going to be a real test of Stubbs recruitment skills. Given that Hibs fans said recruitment was one of his strong points, he needs to find at least 3 or 4 signings of sufficient quality to enable us to compete at this level.

3 hours ago, Transfer news said:

7 days ago pre killie stubbs said we could possibly see 3 or 4 coming in within the next 4/5 days. It's 7 days later and no signings

It seems that Mr Stubbs isn't quite as measured and savvy in his media dealings as the now departed Mr Ross was previously. 

1 hour ago, Drew said:

It is only a matter time before someone starts a "Stubbs has made a rip-roaring c**t of it" thread:ph34r:

In fairness 2 good signings and we are all happy with Alan Stubbs and he looks a good appointment. These player signings seem to hang by a thread until the ink is dry as players keep their options open for as long as possible. Must be frustrating as hell for him. I am staying hopeful. 

10 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Don't know if its been posted on here but i seen on a Liverpool site about Connor Randal being linked to the Super Saints.

That would be good. My google tells me he was considered a better option than Liam Smith last season at right back as far as Hearts were concerned. Would love Liam back but if not to be this guy might be good competition for Paul McGinn.

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

Even though I've poked fun at Paterson, he did score a fair amount of goals for Burnley at a far higher level. He may or may not be able to reproduce this for us.

He may be, but his career has dropped alarmingly since 2014.

I don't get the impression he's the kind of player who is going to solve our issues.

1 hour ago, magnus said:

In fairness 2 good signings and we are all happy with Alan Stubbs and he looks a good appointment. These player signings seem to hang by a thread until the ink is dry as players keep their options open for as long as possible. Must be frustrating as hell for him. I am staying hopeful. 

Aye, but he shouldn't have talked up getting the players in before anything was tied up. A bit silly, really.

He has been around long enough to know better, but as long as he manages to bring some quality in eventually, it isn't a big deal in the grand scheme.

ETA - Craig Mackail-Smith. He'd do a job.

Edited by Drew

4 hours ago, class of 76-77 said:

Not the kind of potential signing that would fill you with confidence.

It would appear that there is a distinct possibility that one or two possible marquee type signings have fallen through.

This is going to be a real test of Stubbs recruitment skills. Given that Hibs fans said recruitment was one of his strong points, he needs to find at least 3 or 4 signings of sufficient quality to enable us to compete at this level.

Give him time.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He may be, but his career has dropped alarmingly since 2014.

I don't get the impression he's the kind of player who is going to solve our issues.

Indeed, I think the last time he spent a whole season with the same club and scored more than 10 league goals, Craig Dargo was leading the line for us.

3 hours ago, andrew87 said:
5 hours ago, melmac said:
Craig Mackail-Smith, he'd do a job.

Signed a 2 year contract with Wycombe in April.

Ach well, back to the Tommy Craig standard of signings. Please prove me wrong.

Edited by melmac