Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

22 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

A lot of nervy posters on the forum.  All will come good it's just going to take time. Most loved the way we played against Killie that's what is in our locker. Tuesday was an experiment that did not work nothing more how more fans can't see that is strange.  

What exactly was the experiment?

Playing the new signings we have made?  As it didn't work out, what do we do with them now?

I agree there is no need to worry over the result itself, however the performances of some the new players in both games do create some genuine cause for concern.  We desperately need an entire new attack before the season starts, there isn't much point denying it.

Edited by Kemp

36 minutes ago, Kemp said:

What exactly was the experiment?

Playing the new signings we have made?  As it didn't work out, what do we do with them now?

I agree there is no need to worry over the result itself, however the performances of some the new players in both games do create some genuine cause for concern.  We desperately need an entire new attack before the season starts, there isn't much point denying it.

Clearly our strongest team at this time was against Killie on Tuesday was it the same team ? NO only in the second half did changes take place that got us back into the game. 

13 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Clearly our strongest team at this time was against Killie on Tuesday was it the same team ? NO only in the second half did changes take place that got us back into the game. 

I don't know how much the experimental guys cost in wages but given our limited resources, would it be less of a gamble to put all our cash into say 15 genuine first team players rather than a larger squad made up of prospects that are currently some way off the required standard? 

I think we can all remember a host of players over the last 10 years that we have watched and knew after even a brief showing they were not of the quality we needed - Summer of Beath, Marwood & Ball etc.  Some of the guys on Tuesday showed little quality for the Premiership on first showing. There must be a remarkable improvement in their next couple of games as we do not have the time to try and coach these guys basic skills. The battle starts in two weeks and we have got to be ready for it.

But surely these guys are so much better than what we have as they come from England and we are constantly told how much better English football is compared to the shite we have to endure so the problem must be us we just don't see it. 

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

A lot of nervy posters on the forum.  All will come good it's just going to take time. Most loved the way we played against Killie that's what is in our locker. Tuesday was an experiment that did not work nothing more how more fans can't see that is strange.  

Killie were poor Ian , and nowhere near full-strength. I really fear for us this season if we don't bring in about 6 more experienced players that can cut it at Premiership level. As it stands we're on to a real hiding at Ibrox in a few weeks time !

17 minutes ago, billyg said:

Killie were poor Ian , and nowhere near full-strength. I really fear for us this season if we don't bring in about 6 more experienced players that can cut it at Premiership level. As it stands we're on to a real hiding at Ibrox in a few weeks time !

Blind faith with me Billy experience wise your 100% correct. 

37 minutes ago, billyg said:

A week ago you were Mr Positive! That’s come crashing to the ground after one bad performance in pre-season.

15 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

A week ago you were Mr Positive! That’s come crashing to the ground after one bad performance in pre-season.

It's not just about a bad performance it was the quality on display. The team that skooshed the Championship had some bad performances but we knew we had good players that would make up for it in the next game. Whether the recruitment so far is of good players remain to be seen. McPherson and Kirkpatrick looked like Word Cup stars against Killie compared to some playing against Spartans. If the new guys do not show some quality pretty quick then they are not good enough.

We've missed Davis, Magennis & Morgan - 3 of our best players.

If we get in the boy Johnston then he may well be the guy who can replace Morgan. Magennis is still here and Kpekawa shows real potential to replace Davis - and not be injured half the season.

I think we will be okay.

Edited by zico

5 minutes ago, zico said:

If we get in the boy Johnston then he may well be the guy who can replace Morgan. Magennis is still here and Kpekawa shows real potential to replace Davis - and not be injured half the season.

I think we will be okay.

Good points Zico

24 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Good points Zico

Even with Morgan, Magennis and Davis we struggled at times. Think Dunfermline away, Morton away, Livi away, Aberdeen away. It was clear at the end of the season that we probably needed a whole new team to compete. I would say we need the replacement for Morgan and Davis, Magennis back and more quality players on top of that to have a decent chance in the premier. 

6 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

Even with Morgan, Magennis and Davis we struggled at times. Think Dunfermline away, Morton away, Livi away, Aberdeen away. It was clear at the end of the season that we probably needed a whole new team to compete. I would say we need the replacement for Morgan and Davis, Magennis back and more quality players on top of that to have a decent chance in the premier. 

Yeh, totally agree.

Without Morgan I doubt we'd even have made the play offs. The squad that Ross left, minus Morgan, was nowhere near good enough to survive in the top flight. But just one or two players can sometimes make all the difference.

Edited by zico

40 minutes ago, Big Yards said:

Magennis and Davis were injured for the first two games mentioned & Stelios (now gone) had a mare in the Aberdeen game. 

Going by JRs comments at the end of last season 7-9 players were required so by my calculations we still need (have the cash for?) an additional 3-5 players (net).

Quality - it's in the lap of Stubbsy!

1 hour ago, zico said:

Yeh, totally agree.

Without Morgan I doubt we'd even have made the play offs. The squad that Ross left, minus Morgan, was nowhere near good enough to survive in the top flight. But just one or two players can sometimes make all the difference.

I think people have rose tinted specs when it comes to Morgan, as soon as he put pen to paper with the beggars he was largely missing for us and only played in fits / starts.

5 hours ago, zico said:

I think we will be okay.

Kpekwa shows promise to replace Brian Smith.  Harry Davis he aint!!