Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

I would struggle to get my head round Smith going on loan to Ayr.

From a season at the club that skooshed the Championship, to a move to a club newly promoted to that league? How does that aid his development?

He would be a good fit for us, and, I suspect, we would be a good fit for him.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

From a season at the club that skooshed the Championship, to a move to a club newly promoted to that league? How does that aid his development?

Maybe Hearts don't want him going to a rival club.

Liam smith on loan would be a very good for for him and saints. Can't imagine he would want to head to Ayr in the championship instead of trying to play at a higher level and test himself further.

I am sure someone will ask tonight at q&a. He might not be someone on Stubbs radar but think he would be a valuable addition to the squad.

I just have this feeling that should John McGinn move on to Celtic for £2.5 million or so in the next few weeks then you will see a number of players of a pretty decent standard arriving at St Mirren.

I am not saying we are going to spend a large chunk of fee received but just think there will be some cash added to player pot for this season.

Suspect it would be good to have him back in the dressing room to.

10 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:
53 minutes ago, Drew said:

Suspect it would be good to have him back in the dressing room to.

Aye - spoke to him at the Bankhouse the night we won the league. Nice lad, and seems to have his head screwed on. There's no doubt that he really enjoyed his time at the club.

He would be a genuine asset.  I had hoped we could maybe wangle a permanent move for him.

As posted in the Liam Smith thread.... Naw..!

for all his good performances he crumbled against the more physical teams (Livi, Morton, Falkirk, Dun Utd, Dunfermline etc) last season, and we cannexpevt a lot more of the same physical game this season.

its telling Hearts don't fancy him, despite being light in that dept, and no one is throwing a cheeky bid in. Thanks for last season Liam, its not you.... we just need our space!

15 minutes ago, Drew said:

Aye - spoke to him at the Bankhouse the night we won the league. Nice lad, and seems to have his head screwed on. There's no doubt that he really enjoyed his time at the club.

He would be a genuine asset.  I had hoped we could maybe wangle a permanent move for him.

Excellent player that I believe would fit into an attacking, passing style of play. I had also hoped we made a move to sign Liam permanently.

5 hours ago, Drew said:

Must be a couple of reasons. Main one being Hearts don't want him helping out an SPL side. With Ayr he is likely to be challenged more and will need to prove himself in a weaker team. With us he had better players around him which can help you out, Ayr won't have the same.

4 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Must be a couple of reasons. Main one being Hearts don't want him helping out an SPL side. With Ayr he is likely to be challenged more and will need to prove himself in a weaker team. With us he had better players around him which can help you out, Ayr won't have the same.

So we are a weaker team now. 

2 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

But we’re playing in a higher division now. :1eye

Right, and?

Our Championship squad was clearly a good side as they won the league. Ayr have not started their season yet. Therefore we cannot gain a true measure of their quality. I would imagine Ayr would be weaker than our CH team from last season. Currently this is an assumption of mine. Hence why I said for this season, Liam Smith will have to prove himself in a weaker team with Ayr than the team he played for last season. What do you not understand?

23 minutes ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Right, and?

Our Championship squad was clearly a good side as they won the league. Ayr have not started their season yet. Therefore we cannot gain a true measure of their quality. I would imagine Ayr would be weaker than our CH team from last season. Currently this is an assumption of mine. Hence why I said for this season, Liam Smith will have to prove himself in a weaker team with Ayr than the team he played for last season. What do you not understand?

Surely the key to incremental player development is to test him at a higher lever as opposed to having to prove himself in a weaker team?

52 minutes ago, Drew said:

Surely the key to incremental player development is to test him at a higher lever as opposed to having to prove himself in a weaker team?

I guess Hearts are in two places here. They may not want to help out a fellow SPL side by handing them Smith. But they don't feel he is ready for their side either. So they've gone back to the same league as last season.  Perhaps Ayr were first to ask for his service from that league and got first dibs. I'm not sure what the thinking of Hearts here is, but I reckon it's a tougher challenge for him. He proved last year he could do well with a good team around him, one which he contributed well too. Now he's in the same league, same level as last season, but with a team who would most likely be weaker than us, facing some very strong opposition (looks to be some season coming up down there). He may have to stand out more here having been a league winner the season before. He's proven his mental strength in a title battle, but he may have to prove it at the other end this time. Shame, it would have been good to have him back here and let him battle it out with P.McGinn for the RB spot.

I reckon Ayr could stay up. Alloa will most likely finish bottom, and I fancy Morton to suffer for sacking Duffy and finish 9th.

ETA: Their League Cup performance shows they are no mugs. Could be the surprise package of that league.

Edited by Cornwall_Saint

Right, and?

Your post.

That’s what I don’t understand!

:1eye

13 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Right, and therefore a weaker team.

Were we not a weak team when Liam Smith joined us.  

9 hours ago, HSS said:

I've a feeling Ayr will have a good season,possibly challenging for a Play Off place.

I can't see it tbh. Ross County, ICT, Pars, Falkirk, Dundee Utd and Partick all in that league, looks hellish. Glad we got out of this one!

1 hour ago, pod said:

Were we not a weak team when Liam Smith joined us.  

We were on the up at that point, things were coming together. Of course adding Liam in helped!