Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

3 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Where you seeing that. And is Don Cowie a large tent signing ? Certainly doesn't know where the back of the net is

2000–2007 Ross County 156 (17)
2007–2009 Inverness CT 59 (12)
2009–2011 Watford 88 (9)
2011–2014 Cardiff City 86 (6)
2014–2016 Wigan Athletic 37 (0)
2016– Heart of Midlothian 72 (3)
National team
2009–2012 Scotland 10 (0)

Scott Burns @ScottBurns75 20m20 minutes ago

@saintmirrenfc and @acciesfc are keen on @JamTarts midfielder Don Cowie. @RCFCStaggies are also want to land him. @ScotExpress

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Good , experienced cover for McGinn.  If McGinn gets injured we have nobody to take his place.

Managed 33 games for team that finished in the top six last season.

What's not to like?

Maybe, just think we have other priorities, strikers, full back cover, centre half and left sided midfielder should all come in before another central midfielder. We currently have McGinn, Magennis, Flynn and Willock in there, who are four of our best players.

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

His Wages !!!

How do you know what he'd be asking for?

Any player with that level of experience is going to demand a higher wage than we're used to.

We're in with the "big boys" now, so we'll have to pay accordingly.

He'll have been paid well by Hearts, so maybe his demands won't be too exorbitant.

We've been crying out for experienced players that have played at a higher level.

2 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Maybe, just think we have other priorities, strikers, full back cover, centre half and left sided midfielder should all come in before another central midfielder. We currently have McGinn, Magennis, Flynn and Willock in there, who are four of our best players.

A "McGinnless" Saints would be disastrous, without a player to step into his shoes, if he gets injured or is suspended.

Edited by FTOF

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

Any player with that level of experience is going to demand a higher wage than we're used to.

He'll have been paid well by Hearts, so maybe his demands won't be too exorbitant.

We've been crying out for experienced players that have played at a higher level.

Exactly.  You canny win with a team full of kids. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Sorry not for me. 35? Nah- too old and slow

17 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Maybe Stubbs has been talking to Levein and we're gonna play the 4-6 formation with no need for strikers?

18 minutes ago, Jack the lad said:

I don't know Humphrey's level of fitness having not seen him play or train, do you know it?

That's very evident given the uninformed drivel that you posted.

Humphrey had an op on his shin not long after he joined PNE from Hearts. Unfortunately it hasn't healed properly, which has impacted on his general fitness and his subsequent less than stellar performances in the past few seasons.

Consider yourself informed.:wink:

As far as I am aware, we haven't knowingly given any players a contract, with that type of fitness problem.

Edited by FTOF

12 minutes ago, Maboza said:

Cowie would be a strange one given the current balance of the squad. I can't imagine we will sign him. 

Had a quick look at a Heart's forum and the general consensus, apart from a couple of the usual roasters, is that Cowie is a great influence both on and off the park, works really hard and is fit as a "butcher's dug". A steadying influence in midfield.

He might seem a bit of a luxury, but I've already stated my reasons as to why he might be signed.

I do agree that a couple of strikers need to be signed very quickly.

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

That's very evident given the uninformed drivel that you posted.

Humphrey had an op on his shin not long after he joined PNE from Hearts. Unfortunately it hasn't healed properly, which has impacted on his general fitness and his subsequent less than stellar performances in the past few seasons.

Consider yourself informed.:wink:

As far as I am aware, we haven't knowingly given any players a contract, with that type of fitness problem.

Hmmmmm.............

17 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Had a quick look at a Heart's forum and the general consensus, apart from a couple of the usual roasters, is that Cowie is a great influence both on and off the park, works really hard and is fit as a "butcher's dug". A steadying influence in midfield.

He might seem a bit of a luxury, but I've already stated my reasons as to why he might be signed.

I do agree that a couple of strikers need to be signed very quickly.

I don't doubt that Cowie would be a decent signing. Played at a good level and if he played 30+ games in midfield last year then he's obviously keeping himself in shape. I'd be surprised however if we signed a guy of that pedigree as a squad filler, so would expect that Willock or Flynn would be pushed down the pecking order if we were to sign Cowie.   

In other circumstances that would maybe be okay but given that Stubbs is already working under budget constraints then I think it would be a bit odd to sign him.

20 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Big Ross mibbaes away..?

looks like the Shankland rumours might have something to them now..?

I'm sure I heard it would take at least £500.000 to prise him away from Somerset, we must be awash with cash!!!