Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

3 hours ago, JM1 said:

If McGugan and Hammill are both fit enough to come into the team in the next few weeks, then I reckon we'll try and sign both of them.

Both have shown throughout their careers that they're capable of playing at a decent level.

Christ... Oran and his team will need a shepherd and two dugs to take training soon if the squad gets much bigger

1 hour ago, Russian Saint said:

Hmmmmmm. If stating a fact is “Pish” then that’s fine by me chap.

Oh your opinion has now become fact has it?

OK fair enough. :D

You can't walk on to a thread, post pish which doesn't contribute to anything and then complain about how the thread has become full of pish.

Just swipe past the posts you don't like.

It's not brain surgery.

Edited by oaksoft

55 minutes ago, Drew said:

To be honest mate, I wouldn't be dignifying his post with a response.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I am pretty sure nobody gives a flying f**k how you personally would respond to someone who wasn't addressing you. :lol:

Edited by oaksoft

Just now, St.Ricky said:

That will happen. 

Likely not anytime soon and for a considerable cost given most are on two year contracts. Looking back it's actually staggering some of the decisions he made in signing players. 

NBM - Two failed loan moves already and Birmingham winding down his contract

Kepkawa - Six clubs in four seasons and less than 40 first team appearances

Cody Cooke -Bang average player for a semi-professional sixth tier English club

Jeff King - Played for 10 different clubs by the age of 22, seemingly failed at every one

How depressing. 

As i see it, The issue we have as far as Stubbs singings is many fold 

1. Any deemed not good enough or surplus to requirements will require some sort of pay off as i find it extremely unlikely their services will be in demand elsewhere.

2. Everyone of them who remains , takes a wage we could be using elsewhere, therefore tying up scarce resources.

3. We simply dont know the terms of the loanees, can we send them back ? perhaps stuck with them for a season or till jan.

4 . IF we can shift some,most or all of them , which target players will want to come in and potentially be in a relegation fight .

5. anyone have a time machine we could use ?

26 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

As i see it, The issue we have as far as Stubbs singings is many fold 

1. Any deemed not good enough or surplus to requirements will require some sort of pay off as i find it extremely unlikely their services will be in demand elsewhere.

2. Everyone of them who remains , takes a wage we could be using elsewhere, therefore tying up scarce resources.

3. We simply dont know the terms of the loanees, can we send them back ? perhaps stuck with them for a season or till jan.

4 . IF we can shift some,most or all of them , which target players will want to come in and potentially be in a relegation fight .

5. anyone have a time machine we could use ?

CG.  items 1 and 2 are financial and can be sorted.  Item 3.....I agree,  we don't.  Item 4.. Targets and potential relegation.. Just a fact of life Item 5 Time Machine.. No thanks.  This is life in the raw.  To enjoy the good times fully there need to be down times.  Look at our two big spending clubs... Stuck in the middle. Not what they expected. 

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

CG.  items 1 and 2 are financial and can be sorted.  Item 3.....I agree,  we don't.  Item 4.. Targets and potential relegation.. Just a fact of life Item 5 Time Machine.. No thanks.  This is life in the raw.  To enjoy the good times fully there need to be down times.  Look at our two big spending clubs... Stuck in the middle. Not what they expected. 

A tad flippant Ricky. I doubt we can pay off all the deadwood and then set about a rebuilding of the squad. We simply don't have the money. A club our size can't just have the attitude "it can be sorted" when it comes to money !

9 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

A tad flippant Ricky. I doubt we can pay off all the deadwood and then set about a rebuilding of the squad. We simply don't have the money. A club our size can't just have the attitude "it can be sorted" when it comes to money !

Didn't mean to be flippant Ayrshire,  Just pragmatic. 

We are fortunate in having the cash to sort it... But.. Need to recruit carefully. 

Edited by St.Ricky

I'd imagine some of the McGinn money will be used to pay off the surplus to requirements Stubbs duds.

Hopefully most of them aren't on big money and we can cancel loan contracts at any time without (significant) penalty.

17 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

We are fortunate in having the cash to sort it... But.. Need to recruit carefully

That's cheesy -  (Caerphilly). (I am just playing with words )

We need to recruit well (and not struggle with too many significant injury's) - so far Jackson and Ferdinand both are in that category..  No doubt any others will be chosen to meet Oran's expectations and improve what he has available to him in the squad.  Even bringing in the likes of Jamieson -  shows he is shrewd...

1 or 2 more this week and then January - I think it will be tough, but I do  believe that we are capable of beating Dundee, Hamilton, and possibly the fakes in the table by the end of the season... (Think Well will improve more than us) But the objectives have to be to  survive this season and have better foundations in place for next season - and a few surprise wins and points like the 1 against the Tic and we will meet both of these objectives...

The team spirit is on the up - now the points to build some confidence please....

Edited by Sweeper07
typo

We are fortunate in having the cash to sort it... But.. Need to recruit carefully. 

But every £ spent offloading surplus players comes straight out of the fund to bring players in.

That’s why I kept 1 & 2 apart. Players go, we pay them off, we lose money from the transfer kitty by means of lump sums.

If they dig their heels in and stay, we lose money by paying their wages.

Neither is ideal as both will eat massively into the transfer budget leaving even less to bring in quality replacements.

When Jack cleared out the old squad , he replaced them with players (presumably ) on championship wages. OK & the board will have to spend significant amounts to bring in quality players who are up for a fight.

1 hour ago, JM1 said:

I'd imagine some of the McGinn money will be used to pay off the surplus to requirements Stubbs duds.

Hopefully most of them aren't on big money and we can cancel loan contracts at any time without (significant) penalty.

Can the loan players be sent back ? 

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Can the loan players be sent back ? 

That's debatable.  Wouldn't do it unless we brought in a more experienced replacement though.

CG. is right that Pay Offs will cost money that might impinge on our budget for bringing in players but there may be ways to reduce that through transfers out.

Sorry who are the loan players so many seem desperate to send back to their parent clubs?

Hodson?

Edwards?

Coulson?

Willock?

Jones?

do people seriously want to send back some of our better performers, and players with bright futures?

Bright futures won’t cut it right now for loanees.

Edited by David Mc

Sorry who are the loan players so many seem desperate to send back to their parent clubs?
Hodson?
Edwards?
Coulson?
Willock?
Jones?
do people seriously want to send back some of our better performers, and players with bright futures?

I was thinking Brock-Madsen and Jones.

NBM only signed on loan until January so will be one of the first discarded. I can also see Coulson going, reminds me a bit of Plummer, looks a decent player but not convinced he’s right for a relegation scrap.

22 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

NBM only signed on loan until January so will be one of the first discarded. I can also see Coulson going, reminds me a bit of Plummer, looks a decent player but not convinced he’s right for a relegation scrap.

Would like to think we can get Coulson in the team. He isn't a defender (contrary to what he and his club seem to think), his crossing at the moment is a bit pish but he can beat a man and could be that creative spark we are looking for when attacking.

It is encouraging to see Kearney seems to be reasonably well connected with the scouts operating in England. Ferdinand and Jackson could turn out be great signings, and these lads on trial sound promising too. Difficult to understand why Stubbs didn't begin with tried and tested professionals like this, and then starting looking for emerging talent in the sixth tier. 

5 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Difficult to understand why Stubbs didn't begin with tried and tested professionals like this, and then starting looking for emerging talent in the sixth tier. 

Not that difficult. He is evidently a clueless buffoon.

37 minutes ago, foxbar_bud said:

Mibbaes NBM, but Jones is a quality player who will Be priceless as the season progresses and injuries and suspensions mount up.

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Mibbaes NBM, but Jones is a quality player who will Be priceless as the season progresses and injuries and suspensions mount up.

We can all play guessing games but the truth will emerge as and when it does...

Loan players that are injured can usually go back to parent clubs and their insurance covers their pay (at least in part). Often there are get out clauses too..(it is not working out for the player or the club  etc.)

With our current injury list OK needs to make sure he does not let anyone go who might be needed, but it would not surprise me if a few go back and some of the squad are loaned to other teams at least by the close of the January window. I am not sure we can afford to keep a number who need further developing, while claiming Premiership wages.

Hey ho - that is management.. and I do feel that we now have some very good management now in place.