Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

15 hours ago, JM1 said:

Congratulations to the ITK people who predicted this signing a few days ago.

Their knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes is appreciated by most of us Saints fans on here. emoji1319.png

Yeah , it is always good to know there are supporters that come on here to share genuinely interesting information , rather than those that are driven to post on here by some manic and have a massive post count to confirm it. .

:blink: Bloody hell. That's a horrifying indictment of Stubbs' recruitment this summer (not that we were in any doubt that he'd f**ked it up).
I had especially high hopes for Coulson and Jones - and you'd imagine neither of their parent clubs would be happy with them sitting in the reserves. They'd surely be better off in their domestic under-23s.
Ah well, at least this is all behind us.
Was hoping we would keep Jones. Coulson and Okeefe but if your not training with the first team it's time to move on. Jones and coulson in my opinion played in the wrong positions and we haven't even seen Okeefe yet

1 hour ago, jonjo said:
1 hour ago, Magic Monkey said:
:blink: Bloody hell. That's a horrifying indictment of Stubbs' recruitment this summer (not that we were in any doubt that he'd f**ked it up).
I had especially high hopes for Coulson and Jones - and you'd imagine neither of their parent clubs would be happy with them sitting in the reserves. They'd surely be better off in their domestic under-23s.
Ah well, at least this is all behind us.

Was hoping we would keep Jones. Coulson and Okeefe but if your not training with the first team it's time to move on. Jones and coulson in my opinion played in the wrong positions and we haven't even seen Okeefe yet

O'Keefe? The academy boy? We've seen plenty of him...

2 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Right back at you.

Nobody likes a crcitic.

I contribute a fair bit to this forum. Almost exclusively constructive. Have done for years.

You are right though. Nobody likes a crcitic or any other mangled version of that word. :D

Edited by oaksoft

I reckon both Edwards and Macpherson were playing out of position on Saturday, due to Stubbs not signing many wide players.

Id reckon Hammill will replace one of them out wide.

Would be interested in seeing Edwards play through the middle before deciding on whether he's any good or not. I think he was OK against both Celtic and Hibs tbh.

Thing is, we can't expect guys to find their feet instantly as part of a team that has yet to find its feet. Edwards has that high-energy, running-about-a-lot thing going on, which could be useful if we start to develop a system that involves a bit of a press.

Without placing too much hype on Hammill, you can't underestimate the impact that having someone like that in the team can have - at best, he'll not only create himself, but will also drag opponents out of shape, creating space for other guys. Basically everything we had last season with Reilly, Smith and Morgan.

5 minutes ago, archie gemmo said:

I wonder if any of the ITK guys could tell me, who has identified, negotiated, made the final call on the like of Hammill and Jackson? Is it Oran, Gus or Tony?

They come to attention via their agents who hawk them around every league they have a realistic chance in playing in... in a descending order. Suffice to say, given the time they were without a club SMFC wasnt any of their first, second, third, fourth, fifth... etc.. etc... choice!

but hey! When we try to pick up guys with their pedigree when the window is open we appear to be just 'fluffers' for someone else to jizz all over our offer, and come along with the money shot. 

If they show early promise, get them signed on a contract that at least we can make some cash on if bigger clubs become interested.

52 minutes ago, archie gemmo said:

I wonder if any of the ITK guys could tell me, who has identified, negotiated, made the final call on the like of Hammill and Jackson? Is it Oran, Gus or Tony?

Identified.... by anyone who can click a mouse! Seriously though agents bombard any club in difficulty they think could pay their client a wage. None of these players were in Oran, or Gus circles previously. Tony F though probably had first contact, probably then having a discussion with Oran to see which were worth bringing in for a look.

Negotiated... by the legend that is Tony F

Final Call... its obvious that each player has had to prove themselves on the training field. So defo Oran.

52 minutes ago, archie gemmo said:

Good question. 

I guess now Oran agrees the positions he is looking to strengthen and provides a pen portrait of the type of player. 

I guess then, that Gus will review those available or who might become available and then discusses these with Oran.

I guess then,  that Tony  will deal with contractual issues. 

My final thought is that Oran will want to meet or see the player before finally agreeing.