Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

7 hours ago, turrabuddie said:
On 12/31/2018 at 2:55 PM, Spam_Valley said:
I reckon Celtic will have Morgan planned for a team higher in the standings than ourselves if he were to go out on loan. Aberdeen / Hibs being possibilities. 

How about Johnny Hayes instead ?

Of course. But again, teams higher up the league will be preferred destinations and a number of teams better than us would take Hayes if he’s available.

6 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

How about Charlie Adam? 

Heard Dundee asked the question of his availability..

32 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Googled a wee bit about him, lightweight, skilful, good first touch, not very good stats regarding goals and assists, wonder how this would fit into our "Money all" approach to signing players. 

Injured in Feb 2018 and was reported by his manager to have 5 or 6 things wrong with him including 2 or 3 with his knee. The BBC article suggested he might miss the rest of the 2017/18 Season.

This might go some way to explaining his release.

16 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Feels like we're going to seriously regret him leaving.

On last year's performances at championship level he showed a lot that made us think we'd regret him leaving us.

This season at a higher level, although his appearances have been limited, he's yet to show a fraction of what he offered us last season.

One thing that we've been crying out for this season is width and pace. Sadly, Smith doesn't really offer either of those, even at his best.

What does OK do? Cut his losses and get rid of Smith, with hopefully a better player coming in or persevere with Smith and hope he regains his form, albeit which has been shown at a lower level.

I've no idea whether Scougall is currently a better option than Smith, but two seasons as regular at Sheffield United, would suggest that he has the potential to offer us more.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

On last year's performances at championship level he showed a lot that made us think we'd regret him leaving us.

This season at a higher level, although his appearances have been limited, he's yet to show a fraction of what he offered us last season.

One thing that we've been crying out for this season is width and pace. Sadly, Smith doesn't really offer either of those, even at his best.

What does OK do? Cut his losses and get rid of Smith, with hopefully a better player coming in or persevere with Smith and hope he regains his form, albeit which has been shown at a lower level.

I've no idea whether Scougall is currently a better option than Smith, but two seasons as regular at Sheffield United, would suggest that he has the potential to offer us more.

Smith was outstanding at Championship but has yet to show the same for this season. Stefan Scougall was injured in Feb 18. Said in an earlier thread that his manager talked of 4/5 problems including his knee. An operation was mentioned and s long term absence. Source was BBC Google Stefan Scougall 

11 minutes ago, FTOF said:

That's reasonable; agree with all of that. Perhaps I should have said we'll regret not being able to get the best out of him at this level. It's perhaps fair to say he's a luxury player in a team that can currently afford few luxuries. We're not stretching teams all over the place this season - he hasn't got Morgan and Reilly creating space for him, or getting onto the end of his passes. He really is only a number 10 or a narrow wide forward in a 4-3-3.

Other players who have failed with us for similar reasons are Harkins and Imrie - and they went on to perform well at this level after leaving us.

Edited by Magic Monkey

8 minutes ago, FTOF said:

OK has coincidentally struggled to fit Smith into our starting 11 post Stubbs era, so there must be more to what he is showing this season in training etc.

Arguably our best player last season, though maybe Cammy himself wants a fresh challenge and maybe it's what will help him find some that form again that we know he is capable of. I wouldn't be quick to offload him to a league rival however.

Regarding ex Sheffield United players, McGinn has proved to be a very good signing, Flynn not so good, and the description of Scougall seems awful like a description of Flynn, so I would give Scougall a bodyswerve, unless he comes very cheap, and is on a short term contract. With regards to Smith, it might make sense putting him out on loan for the rest of the season, to see if he can rediscover some some, and start afresh next season. 

Cammy Smith was excellent for 18 months in a strong winning side, and that type of football might just suit him.

No matter how good a player is/was, sometimes they just can’t make it click in certain teams.

Its probably best for us and for Cammy himself that he moves on. Just hope he’s available if we’re unfortunate enough to find ourselves in the Championship again.

5 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Regarding ex Sheffield United players, McGinn has proved to be a very good signing, Flynn not so good, and the description of Scougall seems awful like a description of Flynn, so I would give Scougall a bodyswerve, unless he comes very cheap, and is on a short term contract. With regards to Smith, it might make sense putting him out on loan for the rest of the season, to see if he can rediscover some some, and start afresh next season. 

His contract expires in the summer. Effectively he can sign pre-contract with some other club soon. Do we let him go this month and find a replacement? OK has had 3 months almost to use him and he has only done so sparingly.

34 minutes ago, linwood-bud said:

Cammy Smith was excellent for 18 months in a strong winning side, and that type of football might just suit him.

No matter how good a player is/was, sometimes they just can’t make it click in certain teams.

Its probably best for us and for Cammy himself that he moves on. Just hope he’s available if we’re unfortunate enough to find ourselves in the Championship again.

As demonstrated with Shankland its how you deploy a striker. Cammy played in a 4 last year, this year is a 1-1 system and he is small. We need a good front guy, you know like maybe Ross Stewart esq

Hopefully this is the plan as we cant stay up not scoring goals

Smith is a great player but like most from last year has been somewhat overwhelmed by the Stubbs , then losing virtually every week with Oran.

Statistically Tommy Craig is better than Oran, and Tommy Craig didnt have all these coaches to help him 

29 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Ryan Flynn was a regular at Sheffield United!

I'm sure if I could be arsed that I'd be able to find a former or current Sheffield United player that played alongside Scougall and who is playing at Championship level or Higher.

That's why I said "potential".

He's also a bit younger than Flynn and probably has more to prove.