Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

1 hour ago, div said:

The only way St.Mirren could have kept hold of Adam Hammill would have been by relocating the club to England.

Player only came to us to get himself in the shop window again because he couldn't get a deal in England.

Came up, scored some important goals for us, got himself noticed, got his 18 month deal.

Nothing else we could have done to keep him longer, other than chop his legs off, which would have been counter productive.

We could have chopped his head off ala Edwards:D

1 hour ago, div said:

Slight difference being we don't have a league game for 3 weeks.

Falkirk are playing on Saturday.

Let's not wet our pants because we haven't signed anyone three days after the transfer window opened.

Gone commando tonight so pants crisp and dry. The point still stands regardless of Falkirk playing on, you could argue they have less time to wheel and deal, where as our workload is clear, and we have a dedicated resource to do the deals. Inam sure we will make signings, also a lot more realistic about how many than some.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

If,as I believe, we said that we had 28 and 4 have gone then that would leave 24 with the 3 others who have been advised to find other clubs still included. I might have missed it but Kellerman was (is) out on loan.

Not another Ricky numbers game! Dundee have released 40, Saints squad will be down to 7 soon

2 hours ago, JM1 said:

Ex-Celtic and Belgian International goalkeeper Logan Bailly linked with us on Twitter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Bailly?wprov=sfla1

Hardly an international these days. Can’t remember the last time he played for Belgium, but I’m sure it’s back when we were shite (pre-2012). If he couldn’t make it into a Celtic side relying on Craig Gordon, who’s nothing to what he was 10 years ago, he’s probably not much these days. Then again we’ve got a keeper who’s out of contract and a loanee who’s been shite so maybe it would improve things.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

We've got 24 players on our books now but that includes Breadner, Jamieson, Erhahon and Cammy McPherson who are all still youths.

So we still have 20 senior players. Could well shift another 6 or 7 of that 20 given that King, Kpekawa, Heaton, Rodgers, Flynn, Eckserley and Edwards are all there and Ferdinand and Smith are still being touted as likely to go. 

That would leave 6 or 7 to come in. 

Agree on the numbers and names but I would keep Edwards for his work rate. Ferdinand,  I would like to keep also. Sadly, I would move Smith on along with the others you suggest. 

Edited by St.Ricky

14 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Agree on the numbers and names but I would keep Edwards for his work rate. Ferdinand,  I would like to keep also. Sadly, I would move Smith on along with the others you suggest. 

Work rate doesn't equal quality. 

Give me a smart worker over a hard worker any day. 

25 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Work rate doesn't equal quality. 

Give me a smart worker over a hard worker any day. 

Hard to argue against that but each team needs a balance and finding a smarter player with the same work rate isn't too easy... or is it? 

All about opinions.

I'm personally not arsed about how many signings we bring in, I'm more arsed about bringing in good players.

At the moment of the six players that have left (Coulson, NBM, Willock, Kirkpatrick, McShane and Hammill) only one will have a material difference on the team.

If any or all of Eckersley, Heaton, King or Kpekawa leave we'll notice no difference whatsoever in the team.

So you could be taking ten players off the wage bill in total, and really only miss one of them.

Bring in four good players to address key weaknesses in the squad and we're back in the game.

This really isn't about getting numbers in, it's about getting quality in, and fixing the issues in the team (like no left back, no wide attackers either left or right, no pace and no physicality in the final third).

Quality definitely > Quantity this time around.

47 minutes ago, div said:

I'm personally not arsed about how many signings we bring in, I'm more arsed about bringing in good players.

At the moment of the six players that have left (Coulson, NBM, Willock, Kirkpatrick, McShane and Hammill) only one will have a material difference on the team.

If any or all of Eckersley, Heaton, King or Kpekawa leave we'll notice no difference whatsoever in the team.

So you could be taking ten players off the wage bill in total, and really only miss one of them.

Bring in four good players to address key weaknesses in the squad and we're back in the game.

This really isn't about getting numbers in, it's about getting quality in, and fixing the issues in the team (like no left back, no wide attackers either left or right, no pace and no physicality in the final third).

We have also lost Sammy which is another wage saved.

1 hour ago, div said:

We need a holding midfielder, a keeper, a left back, two fast wide  attack minded players, a clever number ten and a big target man. So a minimum of seven required, with four or five of them needing to find form very quickly. 

9 hours ago, div said:

Mentioned this a few times, big worry here, as this lad seemingly fits in the Stubbs selection and recruitment process of never having played a full time, first team,  professional game of football in his puff!

that doesn't detract from what he could do, however we have seen this all before with the summer of 'Beith, Murray's Marvels, some of Ross's flyers and Stubbs shareholding in the Jamie Vardy academy.

9 hours ago, div said:

Good luck with managing those numbers expectations!

first loss/poor performance and all feckin hell will break loose. Such is the mind of the fickle football fan who thinks if you punt ten, you've got the money lying around to hire fifteen at least.

9 hours ago, lovestlegend said:

Not fussed about Hamill. Did the odd spectacular thing but beyond that wasn’t a grafter or a team player which is what we’re going to need over the next few months.

Considering he's been involved in either an assist or actually scoring our goals in the past couple of months then he will be missed.

Four goals and at least half a dozen assists in 13 appearances.

Not many teams in our position can afford to lose such a talented player.

I think some of our supporters have forgotten the market that we will be dealing in.

15 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

first loss/poor performance and all feckin hell will break loose. Such is the mind of the fickle football fan who thinks if you punt ten, you've got the money lying around to hire fifteen at least.

Think most of us expected 10-12 out and 5 or 6 in so not sure why you're not convinced. 

This is nothing new that our squad was far too big and numbers would be reduced. 

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think most of us expected 10-12 out and 5 or 6 in so not sure why you're not convinced. 

This is nothing new that our squad was far too big and numbers would be reduced. 

There you are saying you expect 5 to 6 in, when the reality is more like three or four if everything goes to plan. Which we know never happens in January. So its likely to be around half of what you say most expect.

20 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Considering he's been involved in either an assist or actually scoring our goals in the past couple of months then he will be missed.

Four goals and at least half a dozen assists in 13 appearances.

Not many teams in our position can afford to lose such a talented player.

I think some of our supporters have forgotten the market that we will be dealing in.

This. He’s our joint highest scorer and hasn’t even been here the full season, and one of the reasons behind his assist count is his fantastic delivery. It’s easy saying we need team players but this is the guy you want crossing in that last minute free kick or corner, and right now this is the only guy (apart from Jackson) you feel is capable of scoring goals.

29 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

In fairness, Oran's been saying precisely that pretty much since he came in. He wants a smaller, more focused squad to work with. I think most would be able to get on board with it - as long as the quality is increased.