Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

6 minutes ago, munoz said:

Would be massive if we can somehow tempt Lewis back, although I reckon unlikely. I did hear that he wouldn't be going to Sunderland though. Bringing Morgan back could be a real game changer in our relegation battle. 

Indeed , a fit Morgan in the team would virtually guarantee safety. .

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Would it be possible (theoretically) to sign Morgan and Allan? 

No. Not both on loan at least. 

We won't be recruiting for centre midfield anyway. We have Mcginn, Tansey, Erhahon, Magennis and Lyons as of next week. 

Centre mid isn't going to be a priority position, I don't think. 

We won't be recruiting for centre midfield anyway. We have Mcginn, Tansey, Erhahon, Magennis and Lyons as of next week. 

Given that Erhahon has been playing left wing back, Lyons is a number 10 and Magennis has spent most of his senior career playing wide, I don’t think another central midfielder is outwith the realms of possibility.

We don’t seem to have a proper defensive midfielder.

5 hours ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Given that Erhahon has been playing left wing back, Lyons is a number 10 and Magennis has spent most of his senior career playing wide, I don’t think another central midfielder is outwith the realms of possibility.

We don’t seem to have a proper defensive midfielder.

The manager accepts that centre mid is Erhahon's best position but isn't quite ready for it yet (from Q and A a few weeks back). I reckon in a pinch, that's where he'd be used. 

Fair enough on Lyons. 

As for Magennis, he's been played wide due to necessity a lot of the time. I think if we add width in this window (which we seem intent on doing), his position might be more central when he gets back in the team. 

I could of course, be well wide of the mark. Just don't see central mid as a priority just now. I also forgot to include Flynn in my previous post but I still reckon there's a chance he'll be gone in this window. 

Left back, wingers and centre forward all take precedence just now I reckon. Centre half as well if Ferdinand walks. 

A proper defensive mid would be nice. Scott Allan wouldn't really fit that mould though. 

Edited by djchapsticks

10 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

We also played MacPherson there in the game he scored in...

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The manager accepts that centre mid is Erhahon's best position but isn't quite ready for it yet (from Q and A a few weeks back). I reckon in a pinch, that's where he'd be used. 

Fair enough on Lyons. 

As for Magennis, he's been played wide due to necessity a lot of the time. I think if we add width in this window (which we seem intent on doing), his position might be more central when he gets back in the team. 

I could of course, be well wide of the mark. Just don't see central mid as a priority just now. I also forgot to include Flynn in my previous post but I still reckon there's a chance he'll be gone in this window. 

Left back, wingers and centre forward all take precedence just now I reckon. Centre half as well if Ferdinand walks

A proper defensive mid would be nice. Scott Allan wouldn't really fit that mould though. 

Question TIME

Will we sign more than 1 winger? The European guy will hopefully be 1 today or tomorrow. Will Lyons be used wide or off the striker (s) or in the middle of the park? Does anyone know what his abilities/strengths permit? Do you really think Morgan is coming back?

The longer Ferdinand stays during this window, surely the more likely he is to stay full stop.

Having Allan would give us additional creative options, as of course would having Morgan. Wages the main issue there though.

Is Polworth the DM we are in for?

Answers coming soon.

1 minute ago, cockles1987 said:

No       -  Will we sign more than 1 winger?    
Off       -  Will Lyons be used wide or off the striker (s) or in the middle of the park?
Yes      -  Does anyone know what his abilities/strengths permit?
No       -  Do you really think Morgan is coming back?
No       -  Is Polworth the DM we are in for?

That soon enough emoji39.png

Yeah great on speed - I asked 5 questions and you gave 5 answers  but

are these answers based on anything of note or are you just having a laugh?

I am guessing you are suggesting the European guy is not signing? (if so this pushes the answers down one, but you must not have answered one of my questions and the question about Lyons needs more than a one word answer.

But cheers for your effort   :guinness

7 minutes ago, Iamhammer said:

I must admit I thought Tansey was a defensive midfielder

me too   - I followed on from 3 hours ago, djchapsticks

who stated "A proper defensive mid would be nice." 

Edited by Sweeper07
more info added after words 1 and 2

Based on players currently with the club, albeit not necessarily signed:

Hladky; Hodson, Ferdinand, Popescu, Erhahon; P.McGinn, S.Mcginn, Tansey, Lyons, Unnamed winger; Marec.

I've not seen six of those play (can't remember if I've seen Tansey, so we'll say I haven't) and I like the look of that already :lol:

I would still aim to sign another winger if possible instead of P McGinn there, and a left full back to start to introduce Ethan into his proper position more gradually. I really don't think we're going two up front based on the signings of Lyons and Tansey, who will surely be starting. Unless Lyons can secretly play out wide as well.

Edited by Magic Monkey

14 minutes ago, mattman said:

Seen div retweet that Anton was on a flight to Glasgow last night. Seems promising.

Only way he is staying is if smfc make him an offer he cant refuse and he signs up sooner rather than later. If he does a game by game deal to end of January then as sure as eggs are eggs, someone in need will come in for him last minute.

club need to put up their best offer first, and if he's not interested? Say thank ya, and move on to the next guy. That said would love him to stay and anchor our defence, however we are not in business to pamder to the big man's whims.

18 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Only way he is staying is if smfc make him an offer he cant refuse and he signs up sooner rather than later. If he does a game by game deal to end of January then as sure as eggs are eggs, someone in need will come in for him last minute.

club need to put up their best offer first, and if he's not interested? Say thank ya, and move on to the next guy. That said would love him to stay and anchor our defence, however we are not in business to pamder to the big man's whims.

Inclined to agree with that. I'm hoping he's been holding out to see what business we do - and that he is impressed with what he sees.

34 minutes ago, W6Saint said:

Polworth is an attacking midfielder. Leading assister in the Championship last year.

I think Polworth can play in most midfield roles - he does like to shoot but he can tackle well and sit deep and spray passes quickly. I have seen him play out left too.

Anyway - I was only trying to seek further clarification after djchapsticks suggested that we needed a proper defensive midfielder and whether he was alluding to Polworth who has been tooted to us a few times by our fans.