Speculation Thread

jimdickloyal

I really dislike being negative. The team have clearly done a lot of work to try and get this window as right as possible. 

The route of 'young English lad who can't cut it so got loaned out and didn't appear to do too well at league one or two level either' just feels so much like a path we've been down so often before. Can't be too hard on the guy cos I've not seen him but we've heard it all before.

For 'big clubs looking at him', see Heaton. 

For 'premier league club saw fit to sign him' see Jeff King, Cole Kpekawa, Ellis Plummer, Dominic Shimmin (remember him? Only an injury prevented that one) 

I think we've had our fingers well and truly burned too many times down the years with this type of signing for me to be anything other than completely fatigued by even the idea of it. 

Edited by djchapsticks

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I really dislike being negative. The team have clearly done a lot of work to try and get this window as right as possible. 

The route of 'young English lad who can't cut it so got loaned out and didn't appear to do too well their either' just feels so much like a path we've been down so often before. Can't be too hard on the guy cos I've not seen him but we've heard it all before.

For 'big clubs looking at him', see Heaton. 

For 'premier league club saw fit to sign him' see Jeff King, Cole Kpekawa, Ellis Plummer, Dominic Shimmin (remember him? Only an injury prevented that one) 

I think we've had our fingers well and truly burned too many times down the years with this type of signing for me to be anything other than completely fatigued by even the idea of it. 

Paul Dummett, Conor Newton

Jeff King has never been on the books of a Premiership club

Edited by Wendy Saintss

38 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Going by that, I wouldn't sign him but would get his agent to join our PR department.

If he can whip up that level of interest amongst decent clubs for a player who has scored less than one goal every seven games at league two level, I reckon he could convince shull to fork out £17 for the Alloa game.

8 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Paul Dummett, Conor Newton

Jeff King has never been on the books of a Premiership club

Apologies,

I thought he was at Everton but I think it's that he was an Everton fan.

I get what you're saying but guys like Newton and Dummett (and Billy O'Brien to a lesser extent) are very much exceptions to the rule.. Our record in this market is not cause for optimism.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Apologies,

I get what you're saying but guys like Newton and Dummett (and Billy O'Brien to a lesser extent) are very much exceptions to the rule.. Our record in this market is not cause for optimism.

Our record in most markets isn't cause for optimism! :lol:

They've got him on trial. If he's good, he's good, if he's not then he's not. I don't see the problem in getting guys in on trial.

3 minutes ago, Iamhammer said:

I hope you're right, or the team to play Celtic could be weaker than the one that started at Kilmarnock

So far we've lost 4 of the team that started against Kilmarnock, Lyness, Jones, Smith & Hammill.

We've signed replacements for Lyness, Jones & Smith. Are these guys better than the 3 guys replacing them?

2 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

Couldn't agree more, which is why I've been keen to find out the situation with Malec - the silence on this from the club is deafening. I'm just trying to work out what the rationale is behind us looking at a young striker (when we already have a couple)

There is nothing for the club to say - the guy was only in for a trial and that presumably happens all the time. It's just the frenzy on here that made it any different. I'm sure dozens of unsigned players turn up at training throughout a season, it doesn't mean they are being given a contract.

The thing is you don't always get what you want. We have already signed 4 players who were targeted which is pretty decent. You want a player and them wanting you are two different things. Maybe the Slovaks' families did not want to move to Scotland; maybe they got better offers; maybe there are injury concerns; maybe they are house hunting right now. Once you have ran through all your targets (remember EVERY club is looking for players) you have then to consider some that weren't originally in the frame and some than just suddenly became available. Let's chill and see what happens.

There is nothing for the club to say - the guy was only in for a trial and that presumably happens all the time. It's just the frenzy on here that made it any different. I'm sure dozens of unsigned players turn up at training throughout a season, it doesn't mean they are being given a contract.
There are many reasons why deals may or may not work out, I'd like to hear where the club stands - whether we are, or are not, interested and pursuing.
Just nosey...

22 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

So far we've lost 4 of the team that started against Kilmarnock, Lyness, Jones, Smith & Hammill.

We've signed replacements for Lyness, Jones & Smith. Are these guys better than the 3 guys replacing them?

No Idea, but then I've no idea if they are worse.  Jones when Anton came in was one of our better players, Lyness did nothing wrong and in fact was a big contributor to our win at Motherwell.  Smith v Lyons if the stuff being said about Lyons is correct then it’s safe to assume he is a better option, based on Smith’s season .  Hammill is the reason we are still in with a chance of surviving.  That’s not counting the fact that Anton may well be off, so all things considered we may well be weaker as a unit.

There are a fair few on here that thought players from Man Utd, Southampton, Middlesborough and Birmingham werent good enough for us. So just because player A. Comes from a championship/League one/Two club or has been loaned there means nowt.

what is a concern is it appears that aside from Lyons who required no scouting at all, we seem to have dried up already on the multitude of targets Gus had lined up.

We'll soon be back picking over the bones of players out of the picture at diddy premiership/championship clubs up here, and/or Oran getting free reign to populate our squad with a swathe of hammer-throwers from his old league.

15 minutes ago, Iamhammer said:

No Idea, but then I've no idea if they are worse.  Jones when Anton came in was one of our better players, Lyness did nothing wrong and in fact was a big contributor to our win at Motherwell.  Smith v Lyons if the stuff being said about Lyons is correct then it’s safe to assume he is a better option, based on Smith’s season .  Hammill is the reason we are still in with a chance of surviving.  That’s not counting the fact that Anton may well be off, so all things considered we may well be weaker as a unit.

Hammill is undoubtedly the loss and it was always going to be extremely unlikely that he could be replaced.

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Only time will tell.  I hope Sweeper is right and that we get a couple more in today or tomorrow.  Big striker,  winger and natural left back.  After that loan players of quality in advanced positions. 

46 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

There are many reasons why deals may or may not work out, I'd like to hear where the club stands - whether we are, or are not, interested and pursuing.
Just nosey...

Sorry but it is not in the best interests to keep the fans updated while things are in an ongoing process - they will update us when players are signed and sealed though...

They may not tell us why some things did not work out - Sonny's post above gives you a good flavour of possible senarios

5 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Only time will tell.  I hope Sweeper is right and that we get a couple more in today or tomorrow.  Big striker,  winger and natural left back.  After that loan players of quality in advanced positions. 

Xmas has past.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Apologies,

I can see where you are coming from, though if he is one of the players we have monitored through our new vetting system, or at least done a bit of research on, there is nothing to say he's not worth having a look at.

The difference this time round to what Stubbs had done, is we are not quickfire signing anyone without at least having some sort of knowledge of them. 

There are a fair few on here that thought players from Man Utd, Southampton, Middlesborough and Birmingham werent good enough for us. So just because player A. Comes from a championship/League one/Two club or has been loaned there means nowt.
what is a concern is it appears that aside from Lyons who required no scouting at all, we seem to have dried up already on the multitude of targets Gus had lined up.
We'll soon be back picking over the bones of players out of the picture at diddy premiership/championship clubs up here, and/or Oran getting free reign to populate our squad with a swathe of hammer-throwers from his old league.

Every club with no money to buy players will be picking over the bones in the January transfer window majority of footballers contracts run out in the summer window.

You have no idea what targets or even how many were lined up and targets will change throughout January for several reasons players might not even become available till late on in January.